RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Best GPS for the Texas Challenge?

  • Dave Read
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012

      This is wisdom. I spent an hour searching for a new cache in the Barton Greenbelt last week, only to strike out. I learned later that the hider had been using an iPhone. When I found the cache (the CO added some directions to it in the hints), I measured 100+ feet from the cache to the posted coordinates. Gah.

      From: "moosiegirltx" <candylind@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 16:16:59 -0000

      Just one warning - once you get a GPS you won't want to go back to using your phone! I suggest you try to set up some geocaching trips with locals who can show you how their units work, what map software they use, and will let you get a feel for it. I've always used Garmin products - I'm still with a GPSMAP 76CSx simply because I can't afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest "standard" handheld (although I know some people who don't like the latest generation as much as the gen I'm using), nor have I ever had the chance to try out the tough-screen line from Garmin either. I know people who own DeLorme's and love them, but I've never had the chance to try one out. In any case, once you get a chance to try a few out, buy a unit from a place that will allow you to return it in a reasonable time frame if you decide you hate it. You'll pay more for that luxury but it is worth it.

      Good luck!
      Candy
      moosiegirl

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "jddaleske" <john@...> wrote:

      > Next, I need recommendations on best GPS.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

      The New "Skinny" Fruit
      How This Strange 62-Cent African Fruit Is Making Americans Skinny.
      HLifestyles.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
        For what it's worth, I have the Oregon 550. (That bluetooth thing you mention would ROCK.)
        Took a while to adjust to the difference in operating algorithm between it and the 60cs I switched from. For a while I thought that when this one bites the bucket I'd go back to the 60 series, but I think I've been corrupted (being able to quickly log from the compass is wonderful, and the touch-screen allows more efficient movement between functions).

        As opposed to the 450 description -- my unit gives me half a day between low battery warning and needing to change batteries. So I run 'em dry. (Penny wise, pound foolish!)

        The function I dream of is a dropdown for next cache -- because sometimes we don't want to go 'nearest.' Would save me, oh, two or three screens! LOL.

        Accuracy most days is pretty darn good, and when we got it, it was the unit that could look up cache pages. Now all of ours does it. It's still the only one in Team WATT that plays WhereIGo. Except for the occasional wait for the unit to update and shift from the current location, I haven't noticed any bugs. But then, I've only done two WhereIGos.

        USB access to finds, etc. Good.
        Various views. Good (though I wish their color choices had more contrast)
        Camera is also good -- but I tend to use my phone instead -- or my real camera.

        That's my 10 cents.

        A lot of GPS choice depends on how you think -- and then what you get used to.
        Having used the Garmins so long, they've become 2nd nature to us. So that's where our prejudice lies. And their customer support has always been very good to us, as well.
        Are they the best out there? Well, I don't know. But they do the job with minimum fuss for us.

        BarbJ/Tygress

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
          I absolutely LOVE my 60csx, even with its limitations. And after long discussions with folks about the newer Garmins and the Delorme's, I will most likely replace it with another one when it dies if I can still find one by then. They are tough as nails, absurdly accurate, a breeze to use, and have a killer signal lock. If you want to go that route, you can find them for a LOT less than the cost of most, if not all, of the top-of-the-line gizmos with all the uber-cool bells and whistles out there today.

          For the paperless part, I use Cachemate for my regular PQ-loaded caches (using GSAK, of course) to see the descriptions, hints, prior logs, and to post field notes. I use the Geocaching app on my phone for on-the-fly lookups and to get more logs on my pre-loaded caches. But even when I use that, I very nearly always put the coords into my trusty 60csx to make the find. Most of the time the phone GPS is too wonky and the Geocaching app is too slow for my taste.

          OK. So call me old school if ya want. At least I'm not still using my old Maggie ST Map and reams of paper! :D