Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 13, 2004
      Waco seems to be of split opinion. Sawdust94 was with DFW last year, but pnew already said he'd like to team with CenTex. It may end up being the decision of the rule makers (Sam [USMorrows] and Will [9key]).

      Candy Lind    candylind@...
      I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
      From: Candy Lind candylind@...
      Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:31:43 -0600
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] URGENT! Need signups for Texas
      Challenge!

      Let's just say Austin or Central TX for now. We'll know more in a few
      weeks, and can decide if any combining or splitting of teams is necessary.

      Geocaching worldwide:  http://www.geocaching.com     in Texas:
      http://www.txga.net

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 23, 2008
        Hello everyone!

        It looks like I will be attending the challenge again this year.

        I do have a special situation I was hoping to get some help with.  My muggle boyfriend, who lives in Austin, will be attending, but has a commitment Friday night, so will meet me there on Saturday.  I have reserved a hotel room for us on Saturday night.

        Since we would prefer to just drive one car back on Sunday, I was wondering if there was anyone from the Austin area that I can ride up with on Friday.  I am also looking for a site (preferably a shelter since I don't have a tent) where I can crash for Friday night only.

        Thanks

        Go CenTex!

        Cindy
        CindyFrag
      • Kevin (KoosKoos)
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 27, 2009
          Hey all of you Central Texas cachers....did you know that the LARGEST
          geocaching event in Texas is being held in our backyard in just a few
          weeks???

          That's right, the Texas Challenge will be in Fredericksburg the
          weekend of March 13th - 16th. You can see all of the information
          here:

          http://www.texaschallenge.info

          Don't miss your chance to meet fellow geocachers from all over the
          state, camp out if you want, take a geocaching tour of the hill
          country, or participate in the competition portion at Enchanted
          Rock!!!

          It's going to be a great time, but we need to get people registered as
          soon as possible as the event is looming. Also, if you want a
          souvenir t-shirt or geocoin, you can buy them at the site above and
          pick them up that weekend.

          AND, if you know someone who's a geocacher in another part of the
          state, why not encourage them to come out for a visit? Bring out that
          brother-in-law who told you about caching or the friend who you took
          out one time and they thought it was fun. The more the merrier!

          Hope to see you in Fredericksburg!

          Kevin
          KoosKoos
        • electric_water_boy
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
            The Texas Challenge is just over 3 months away. Time to start thinking about who you want to be Team Captain. I'll do it again if you like. And if you don't my feelings won't be hurt. Either way I'm going knowing that I'll have a great time.

            Regardless, I will be trying to get a CenTex flag from Centex seeing as I just spent a boatload of money with them and my brand spanking new microwave is just a dust collector (because it doesn't do any kind of waving...).
          • electric_water_boy
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
              Anyone have any comments????

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

              > The Texas Challenge is just over 3 months away. Time to start thinking about who you want to be Team Captain. I'll do it again if you like. And if you don't my feelings won't be hurt. Either way I'm going knowing that I'll have a great time.
              >
              > Regardless, I will be trying to get a CenTex flag from Centex seeing as I just spent a boatload of money with them and my brand spanking new microwave is just a dust collector (because it doesn't do any kind of waving...).

            • Mrs. Captain Picard
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                Don't panic, Tom!  I think Centex is just a little more laid back than the rest.  I know I'm already planning to go.  What we need is a good ole' pep rally type event so we can explain what the Texas Challenge is and why it's so much fun.  The question we always get is, "I've only found 10 caches, so I would drag down the team and you wouldn't want me, right?"  The answer is, "WRONG!"  We want EVERYONE because it's just more fun that way.

                The Austin gang will be deep into their Event Event planning, so having you take the lead for the team is probably a relief to them.  I vote for YOU!

                Cheers,

                On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM, electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

                Anyone have any comments????

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

                > The Texas Challenge is just over 3 months away. Time to start thinking about who you want to be Team Captain. I'll do it again if you like. And if you don't my feelings won't be hurt. Either way I'm going knowing that I'll have a great time.
                >
                > Regardless, I will be trying to get a CenTex flag from Centex seeing as I just spent a boatload of money with them and my brand spanking new microwave is just a dust collector (because it doesn't do any kind of waving...).

              • Hilton
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011

                  Second!

                • shawnolsen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                    Third!

                    Second!

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 8, 2011
                      I figure anyone crazy -- er -- dedicated enough to nominate themselves, AND has the checkmark already on their resume for doing it once, should get the job.
                      You GO, EWB!

                      BarbJ - Have no idea if I'm Texas Challenging or not this year, but I'll definitely wave some pom poms for y'all - Tygress

                      Don't panic, Tom! �I think Centex is just a little more laid back than the rest. �I know I'm already planning to go. �What we need is a good ole' pep rally type event so we can explain what the Texas Challenge is and why it's so much fun. �The question we always get is, "I've only found 10 caches, so I would drag down the team and you wouldn't want me, right?" �The answer is, "WRONG!" �We want EVERYONE because it's just more fun that way. ��

                      The Austin gang will be deep into their Event Event planning, so having you take the lead for the team is probably a relief to them. �I vote for YOU!
                      Cheers,

                      On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM, electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

                      Anyone have any comments????

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

                      > The Texas Challenge is just over 3 months away. Time to start thinking about who you want to be Team Captain. I'll do it again if you like. And if you don't my feelings won't be hurt. Either way I'm going knowing that I'll have a great time.
                      >
                      > Regardless, I will be trying to get a CenTex flag from Centex seeing as I just spent a boatload of money with them and my brand spanking new microwave is just a dust collector (because it doesn't do any kind of waving...).

                      Globe Life Insurance
                      CoverageFor1Dollar.com
                    • mudslinger06tj
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 5, 2011
                        I know there is a lot of cachers out there who don't go to the challenge due to the word "Challenge" you don't feel up to it or don't think you can be a viable participant or have any idea whats going on so they do not go !!!

                        Something that was said at the last Challenge was to the effect Texas having the yearly challenge we cant have a mega event! we do not have the support.

                        not to mention the animosity in the various regions through out the state

                        a Mega Event would bring more cachers out of the woods that the Challenge will not

                        if we stop the challenge and start having Mega event gatherings we can become more like a caching family not disgruntled cousins at a reunion trying to best each other.

                        not to mention we can choose places that are cache rich so people can get lots of smileys along with the mega icon

                        IMOP David Neill Daneill
                      • Kevin (KoosKoos)
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 5, 2011
                          I thought that was one of the beauties of the '09 Challenge.  There was the competition for those folks who wanted it and there was plenty of casual caching to see the town, cool spots, and meet other cachers along the way for people who didn't want to/feel up to the "Challenge" portion.

                          If TXGA is taking over the planning of the game and people want to keep with the competing regions, then I think either the TXGA or a local region should look at putting together a 2nd big event in another season that's meant to be a friendly get-together.  I agree that a lot of post-Challenge discussions turn into "what region did what to win" vs. "don't be a sore loser" which seems counter to trying to grow a cohesive group.  Friendly competition is one thing, but with SO many people competing as part of large groups, it much easier to cheat or be accused of cheating.  (again, I don't recall any accusations or sore feelings in Fredericksburg when it was small groups competing against each other)

                          Is the point to get more people to the event weekend or to get more people competing?

                          With the game, at some point, you really just get it too big.  If I'm part of a 200 person team, what do my points really help?  is it worth me even trying?  With a giant team, do captains throw out bad cards because they have plenty to choose from?  If you have 500 people competing, is the area big enough that there aren't 50 people standing around every cache waiting to get a score?

                          If the point is to get more people attending the weekend, then give them things to do.  Make sure there are local caches promoted, hide some new ones in the area, plan social games to break the ice, etc.  And I think the idea of holding some local "warmup" events is probably a good idea...you could do a scaled down version of the competitions without a ton of work to give people a flavor of what's going to happen and it would be time for people to get to know each other.

                          Kevin
                          KoosKoos

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 5, 2011
                            You know, I didn't detect a whiff of animosity at this year's Challenge.
                            Sure, there was the few hours of competition -- but mostly it was meet and greet and grins and well met.
                            There are ALWAYS going to be some who take the competition too seriously. There are always some who take ANYTHING too seriously.

                            Remembering what it was to be a newbie cacher (it wasn't THAT long ago -- just seems like it) -- it took quite a lot for us to go to our first event. We wouldn't know any body. Caching seemed like such a covert activity -- why break cover? All those reasons to hesitate...  We were wrong, of course. And made some of our best friends EVER, not to mention finding a network of genuinely nice people.

                            There are a lot of reasons to resist going to any event -- I myself would be reluctant to go to a mega event if I were a new cacher because of too many people!
                            It's up to the advertising/prepress to play up the social and down the Challenge as just part of a weekend of eventing. Might even require blanket emails to registered Texas cachers -- though that risks turning some off. But even then... Mega doesn't just happen. Even with ALL the goodies and coercion in place, Fredericksburg didn't get it. Huntsville fell short.

                            Mega also requires a whole nuther order of magnitude in terms of location (as we discovered and gave up on for the 10th Anniversary) and logistics -- feeding over 500 people?!? They ran out of food for 300....

                            The diverse reasons for not going are... diverse.

                            Ultimately -- and this is MY opinion -- if we want to up attendance, each of us must do our bit to be emissaries of the sport. Reach out to new cachers. Make them feel welcome. Ease them into the social aspect. Then talk up what the Challenge really is. And realize that sort of thing is not going to be to every one's tastes.

                            As for real smilies. Team WATT had no problem picking up a weekend's worth in the Huntsville area. We had no problem picking up caches around the 10th Anniversary (many of which had been placed for it). So I think the physical smiley portion is well covered. But, Tom -- this is where your ears need to perk -- the SELL is to coax the people who don't want to compete. They may be sucked in by the atmosphere once they're there. But, like this year, Waterweasel and I weren't up to it. But we knew what a Challenge was about, so went anyway. Perhaps -- and this puts loads more work on the planning committees and/or TXGA -- more elements could be added and pushed. Like a Geocaching 101, GeoTech events like we used to have around here. Geocaching fun and games (Semper Q's 10/10/10 event was a hoot -- and there were some fun game things as part of the Inks Lake Challenge; mda_taz & SEMIK had a draw pictures with your tracklog contest at one of their parties). More vendors? A scheduled, smiley earning coin/pathtag (oops, don't tell geocaching.com) exchange. Look at some of the bigger events like GeoBash or GeoWoodstock. What sort of accessories do they include?

                            If you're truly interested in widening the scope, we may want, as Dave hints, to call it Texas GeoCon not Texas Challenge... a Convention (like an SF/Fantasy convention) model. And the Challenge becomes an aspect of that.

                            However ... it does make the whole logistics a little bigger. Can be done -- we did it for the Fredericksburg event. But it requires people with a LOT of contageous enthusiasm at the heart.

                            That's just me, playing thought association ... forgive my past, I really was a marketer. [And NO!!!!! I am NOT volunteering for anything beyond brainstorming! DON'T ASK!!!]

                            -BarbJ/Tygress

                            I know there is a lot of cachers out there who don't go to the challenge due to the word "Challenge" you don't feel up to it or don't think you can be a viable participant or have any idea whats going on so they do not go !!!

                            Something that was said at the last Challenge was to the effect Texas having the yearly challenge we cant have a mega event! we do not have the support.

                            not to mention the animosity in the various regions through out the state

                            a Mega Event would bring more cachers out of the woods that the Challenge will not

                            if we stop the challenge and start having Mega event gatherings we can become more like a caching family not disgruntled cousins at a reunion trying to best each other.

                            not to mention we can choose places that are cache rich so people can get lots of smileys along with the mega icon

                            IMOP David Neill Daneill

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:

                            Obama Urges Refinance
                            If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Obama's Refi Programs
                            SeeRefinanceRates.com
                          • Jana Iannello

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 5, 2011
                                I LOVE this idea!  One of the things that rennies keep talking about at the new Sherwood Forest Faire is the sense of "family" that doesn't really exist at the other Texas faires.  I'd love to see that at the yearly geocaching "meets"...  Like festivals of olde when townsfolk would come from villages to meet in one location to buy and sell wares and network and enjoy each other's company...    Instead of coming to a meeting where our regional differences are emphasized and we work against each other, lets meet to enjoy what we have in common - our love of geocaching!

                                Barry Watson, MSgt, USAF (Retired)
                                aka Doc Geo (Geocaching)
                                aka Barry, Son of Watt (Renaissance)

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 7, 2011
                                  Huntsville was my first challenge and first event. I drove from San Marcos there by myself and didn't know anybody. I never received a hint of a team strategy, and it was funny to see people who were really into winning; it was a great time and I made some new friends, but I do wish that at events there would be some sort of ice breaker or something for the new cachers. I'm really shy when it comes to large group interactions and I'm quite younger than the typical demographic so I feel out of place sometimes...but I've fallen in love with the sport (almost at 200 finds!) and will continue going to events regardless of not knowing anybody.

                                  -Bicycle_Junkie
                                  Angelika

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 7, 2011
                                    Keep going to events, and soon that not knowing anybody thing will be OLD history... especially if you introduce yourself to BigGuyinTexas (Esther) and get one of her BIG hugs. You'll never feel not part of the group again!

                                    Good on you for going -- and a great point about icebreakers for new folks. [I tend to want to hang at the edges, too -- YES, REALLY!!!]

                                    BarbJ/Tygress

> [...]

                                    > You know, I didn't detect a whiff of animosity at this year's Challenge.Sure, there was the few hours of competition -- but mostly it was meet and greet and grins and well met.There are ALWAYS going to be some who take the competition too seriously. There are always some who take ANYTHING too seriously. Remembering what it was to be a newbie cacher (it wasn't THAT long ago -- just seems like it) -- it took quite a lot for us to go to our first event. We wouldn't know any body. Caching seemed like such a covert activity -- why break cover? All those reasons to hesitate...  We were wrong, of course. And made some of our best friends EVER, not to mention finding a network of genuinely nice people. There are a lot of reasons to resist going to any event -- I myself would be reluctant to go to a mega event if I were a new cacher because of too many people!It's up to the advertising/prepress to play up the social and down the Challenge as just part of a weekend of eventing. Might even require blanket emails to registered Texas cachers -- though that risks turning some off. But even then... Mega doesn't just happen. Even with ALL the goodies and coercion in place, Fredericksburg didn't get it. Huntsville fell short. Mega also requires a whole nuther order of magnitude in terms of location (as we discovered and gave up on for the 10th Anniversary) and logistics -- feeding over 500 people?!? They ran out of food for 300.... The diverse reasons for not going are... diverse. Ultimately -- and this is MY opinion -- if we want to up attendance, each of us must do our bit to be emissaries of the sport. Reach out to new cachers. Make them feel welcome. Ease them into the social aspect. Then talk up what the Challenge really is. And realize that sort of thing is not going to be to every one's tastes. As for real smilies. Team WATT had no problem picking up a weekend's worth in the Huntsville area. We had no problem picking up caches around the 10th Anniversary (many of which had been placed for it). So I think the physical smiley portion is well covered. But, Tom -- this is where your ears need to perk -- the SELL is to coax the people who don't want to compete. They may be sucked in by the atmosphere once they're there. But, like this year, Waterweasel and I weren't up to it. But we knew what a Challenge was about, so went anyway. Perhaps -- and this puts loads more work on the planning committees and/or TXGA -- more elements could be added and pushed. Like a Geocaching 101, GeoTech events like we used to have around here. Geocaching fun and games (Semper Q's 10/10/10 event was a hoot -- and there were some fun game things as part of the Inks Lake Challenge; mda_taz & SEMIK had a draw pictures with your tracklog contest at one of their parties). More vendors? A scheduled, smiley earning coin/pathtag (oops, don't tell geocaching.com) exchange. Look at some of the bigger events like GeoBash or GeoWoodstock. What sort of accessories do they include? If you're truly interested in widening the scope, we may want, as Dave hints, to call it Texas GeoCon not Texas Challenge... a Convention (like an SF/Fantasy convention) model. And the Challenge becomes an aspect of that. However ... it does make the whole logistics a little bigger. Can be done -- we did it for the Fredericksburg event. But it requires people with a LOT of contageous enthusiasm at the heart. That's just me, playing thought association ... forgive my past, I really was a marketer. [And NO!!!!! I am NOT volunteering for anything beyond brainstorming! DON'T ASK!!!] -BarbJ/Tygress

                                  • Holly Cooper
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 8, 2011
                                      Myself and Swangkeelowtel were the ones who geocached with Angelica.  (Hi!  Thanks for taking us on.) along with Boris the geocaching dog, who we alas we didn't outfit with a travel bug number.  We had a good time and would definitely do it again.

                                      I found it confusing and disappointing trying to join up with another group to cache.  Maybe it was the presence of the dog and people didn't want to transport one, but we would have been happy to just walk around near the headquarters building and do the nearby caches.  But I asked a couple of groups and they were full, they all had plans and were ready to go.  If there was a table with a sign on it for people to gather who want to join with a small group to cache, it would be good and not take any advanced organizing.  Yes, it's a friendly group.  No problems there.  But I didn't drive half way across Texas to geocache with one other person who I already geocache with, we could do that at home.  Also being a Challenge newbie, I wanted to learn more about what was happening from someone with experience.  I'm sure there were friendly people who would have been happy to take us on and mentor us, but in the moment, we couldn't find any.

                                      One big thing: this Challenge being on one of the weekends of Spring Break made a huge difference for us, we are educators and having the time off to be more flexible and stay a little longer was a great thing.  I remember last year when it was in San Angelo later in April, I think.  I remember how hot it was and how busy I was with end of the school year extras and I didn't want to add one more event.  Not everyone is a teacher, but there were a lot of kids at the Challenge, and I'm sure for people who brought kids, it made the event much easier to attend, and was a great way to kick off spring break.

                                      Holly/Earthenborn

                                      On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM, gumbietygress@... <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                      > You know, I didn't detect a whiff of animosity at this year's Challenge.Sure, there was the few hours of competition -- but mostly it was meet and greet and grins and well met.There are ALWAYS going to be some who take the competition too seriously. There are always some who take ANYTHING too seriously. Remembering what it was to be a newbie cacher (it wasn't THAT long ago -- just seems like it) -- it took quite a lot for us to go to our first event. We wouldn't know any body. Caching seemed like such a covert activity -- why break cover? All those reasons to hesitate...  We were wrong, of course. And made some of our best friends EVER, not to mention finding a network of genuinely nice people. There are a lot of reasons to resist going to any event -- I myself would be reluctant to go to a mega event if I were a new cacher because of too many people!It's up to the advertising/prepress to play up the social and down the Challenge as just part of a weekend of eventing. Might even require blanket emails to registered Texas cachers -- though that risks turning some off. But even then... Mega doesn't just happen. Even with ALL the goodies and coercion in place, Fredericksburg didn't get it. Huntsville fell short. Mega also requires a whole nuther order of magnitude in terms of location (as we discovered and gave up on for the 10th Anniversary) and logistics -- feeding over 500 people?!? They ran out of food for 300.... The diverse reasons for not going are... diverse. Ultimately -- and this is MY opinion -- if we want to up attendance, each of us must do our bit to be emissaries of the sport. Reach out to new cachers. Make them feel welcome. Ease them into the social aspect. Then talk up what the Challenge really is. And realize that sort of thing is not going to be to every one's tastes. As for real smilies. Team WATT had no problem picking up a weekend's worth in the Huntsville area. We had no problem picking up caches around the 10th Anniversary (many of which had been placed for it). So I think the physical smiley portion is well covered. But, Tom -- this is where your ears need to perk -- the SELL is to coax the people who don't want to compete. They may be sucked in by the atmosphere once they're there. But, like this year, Waterweasel and I weren't up to it. But we knew what a Challenge was about, so went anyway. Perhaps -- and this puts loads more work on the planning committees and/or TXGA -- more elements could be added and pushed. Like a Geocaching 101, GeoTech events like we used to have around here. Geocaching fun and games (Semper Q's 10/10/10 event was a hoot -- and there were some fun game things as part of the Inks Lake Challenge; mda_taz & SEMIK had a draw pictures with your tracklog contest at one of their parties). More vendors? A scheduled, smiley earning coin/pathtag (oops, don't tell geocaching.com) exchange. Look at some of the bigger events like GeoBash or GeoWoodstock. What sort of accessories do they include? If you're truly interested in widening the scope, we may want, as Dave hints, to call it Texas GeoCon not Texas Challenge... a Convention (like an SF/Fantasy convention) model. And the Challenge becomes an aspect of that. However ... it does make the whole logistics a little bigger. Can be done -- we did it for the Fredericksburg event. But it requires people with a LOT of contageous enthusiasm at the heart. That's just me, playing thought association ... forgive my past, I really was a marketer. [And NO!!!!! I am NOT volunteering for anything beyond brainstorming! DON'T ASK!!!] -BarbJ/Tygress

                                      Get Free Email with Video Mail Video Chat!

                                      --
                                      Holly Cooper, Ph.D.
                                      Outreach Deafblind Consultant
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 8, 2011
                                        Yes, the Spring Break time frame was awesome!  If we didn't have my cousin's wedding on the following weekend in New Orleans, we definitely would have stayed a few extra days.

                                        Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
                                        http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak     http://twitter.com/nativtxn

                                        Geocaching - If you hide it, they will come!

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 9, 2011
                                          The spring break time frame, so you know, is intentional.
                                          It won't always perfectly hit, because school districts don't ALL take the same week. But planners DO care about time off for families.

                                          BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

                                          Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
                                          AwesomePennyStocks.com
                                        • Holly Cooper
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 9, 2012
                                            We have waited and waited hoping for weather changes in the dry direction. I haven't seen discussion on the list, but we're deciding not to go to the Texas Geocaching Challenge.
                                            Originally we were camping, then last evening we decided we could possibly go if we stayed in a hotel.
                                            Now the weather driving up to Ray Roberts this evening looks bad, and home Saturday night looks bad.
                                            Not to mention 80% chance of rain on Saturday. *sigh*

                                            Anyone want a campsite?

                                            I've paid for T-shirts, does anyone know how they handle this?

                                            Holly/earthenborn

                                          • Barry
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 9, 2012
                                              I think you might be making a good (but sad decision).  I can't go to the challenge because I signed on to be a performer at Sherwood Forest Faire this season and I will be performing, in the rain tomorrow...  100% chance of rain being reported...   yay....

                                              Barry Watson, MSgt, USAF (Retired)

                                              aka Doc Geo (Geocaching)

                                              aka Much, The Miller's Son (Renaissance)