Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Alphabet Soup 2012

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
      For what it's worth -- I worked it out. We'd done 2011 three times over. Maybe 4.
      Of course, haven't got around to finding 2010's....

      IMHO, this is no more restrictive than having to climb a tree, for heaven's sake.  Sometimes Prime's "concerns" confound me.

      -B/Tygress

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012

          > Maybe I don't understand what "restrictions" there are, but how would this
          > be any more restrictive than the Texas County Challenge, or I've Been
          > Everywhere, Man?

          Both of those Challenges allow for previous finds to count.
          Any year-based Challenge that strictly require brand new finds make it

          "unfairly difficult for experienced cachers that have already found most or all of the qualifying caches."

          Seriously? Yes, seriously.

          The relative paucity of Q, X, and Z caches is what PR is being obstinate over. His entire argument is simply, patently, empirically, demonstrably incorrect.

          He's just looking out for the interests of all you five-digit find cachers ;) LOL

          Dick -- why don't you just amend the Challenge to allow Q X and Z from ANY county in Texas. He can't possibly object to that any longer.

          And my kids and I really do want to thank you for putting up with all of the review shenanigans. Doing Alphabet Soup together on Jan 1 has been a tradition for us the last two years. We had a blast on Sunday and are looking forward to this one finally going live.

          -Keith (Indigo Parrish, a friedn of all Q's, X's and Z's everywhere)

          > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Richard <rtyoungster@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > This year's edition of Alphabet Soup is in the queue for review. I am
          > > working with Prime by supplying information regarding his concerns about
          > > the cache being too restrictive. He is talking with other reviewers about
          > > the submission. Watch the new cache listings...you will know as soon as
          > > possible. Until then,
          > > Cache on,
          > > Blizzard
          > > AKA
          > > Dick Young

        • Mrs. Captain Picard
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
            If past experience is any indication, there will be a flurry of X, Q and Z caches placed in the very near future!  What's the problem!!!!!!!!  More caches are good for everyone.

            Cheers,

            On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Indigo Parrish <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

            > Maybe I don't understand what "restrictions" there are, but how would this
            > be any more restrictive than the Texas County Challenge, or I've Been
            > Everywhere, Man?

            Both of those Challenges allow for previous finds to count.
            Any year-based Challenge that strictly require brand new finds make it

            "unfairly difficult for experienced cachers that have already found most or all of the qualifying caches."

            Seriously? Yes, seriously.

            The relative paucity of Q, X, and Z caches is what PR is being obstinate over. His entire argument is simply, patently, empirically, demonstrably incorrect.

            He's just looking out for the interests of all you five-digit find cachers ;) LOL

            Dick -- why don't you just amend the Challenge to allow Q X and Z from ANY county in Texas. He can't possibly object to that any longer.

            And my kids and I really do want to thank you for putting up with all of the review shenanigans. Doing Alphabet Soup together on Jan 1 has been a tradition for us the last two years. We had a blast on Sunday and are looking forward to this one finally going live.

            -Keith (Indigo Parrish, a friedn of all Q's, X's and Z's everywhere)

            > On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Richard <rtyoungster@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **

            > > This year's edition of Alphabet Soup is in the queue for review. I am
            > > working with Prime by supplying information regarding his concerns about
            > > the cache being too restrictive. He is talking with other reviewers about
            > > the submission. Watch the new cache listings...you will know as soon as
            > > possible. Until then,
            > > Cache on,
            > > Blizzard
            > > AKA
            > > Dick Young

          • Paul Albers
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
              Indigo Parrish wrote:
              Both of those Challenges allow for previous finds to count.
              <>Any year-based Challenge that strictly require brand new finds make it

              "unfairly difficult for experienced cachers that have already found most or all of the qualifying caches."

              Seriously? Yes, seriously.

              The relative paucity of Q, X, and Z caches is what PR is being obstinate over. His entire argument is simply, patently, empirically, demonstrably incorrect.

              He's just looking out for the interests of all you five-digit find cachers ;) LOL
              </>

              Since I'm one of the five-digit cachers and tend to go after many new hides, I took a look
              at what I have available to find in the five counties and here is my list, out of the 834 caches
              I have yet to find in those five counties:

              A - 43
              B - 56
              C - 57
              D - 27
              E - 14
              F - 18
              G - 24
              H - 35
              I - 13
              J - 12
              K - 15
              L - 37
              M - 41
              N - 20
              O - 31
              P - 58
              Q - 5
              R - 32
              S - 64
              T - 126
              U - 10
              V - 7
              W - 54
              X - 12
              Y - 19
              Z - 5

              Sure, some are sparse, but with five or more for me to choose from, I feel that I would have
              no problem completing this challenge. Grabbing the FTF would be unlikely, but completing
              the challenge would definitely happen. :)

              Thank you very much Dick for working through the challenges you are being faced with for
              this cache. I can also think of several much more restrictive challenges to our North. Just
              compare the restrictiveness of this challenge to the challenge to find caches on the seven
              highest summits in the world. I can guarantee you that the ABC challenge would be available
              to far more cachers than it is.

              Bottom line, every cache is not for everyone. If a so called five-digit cacher has limited their
              available options to complete the challenge due to caching 'too much' in the area, so be it,
              for that was their choice. At least we are able to. There are many caches that some will
              never be able to get, due to a vast array of reasons ( special training, physical limitations,
              etc... ). Not allowing those specialized or difficult caches, due to not all being able to get
              them, would be a travesty. IMHO.

              -paul
              HiDude_98
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                X is easy...
                There are still XANNs to find.
                V was a bit tougher.  J and K were sticky, too... of course, the thing that this pointed out to me, was big series (like SMBR -- Seven Miles of Bad Roads) should have the SMBR at the end, and the unique names first. If only for paperless caching! Interesting what one decides is a 'problem' -- even if it's not particularly.

                Of course showing all the new alphabet runs it inspires is worthy.  But we're prejudiced.

                I don't know, maybe if the geographic limitation were removed? Just trying to think like Prime -- who should realize that one challenge smile more or less is NOT going to hurt a 5digit clubber. But maybe it's one from the club whining? Or Prime just over thinking, bless his heart.

                Just splurting at the keyboard.
                Never mind.

                I love the new series that the 'challenge' inspires!

                -B/Tygress

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                  And (from a lesser but still 5 digit) cacher (from my 1,000 nearest download):

                  A - 67
                  B - 62
                  C - 64
                  D - 40
                  E - 25
                  F - 35
                  G - 46
                  H - 32
                  I - 22
                  J - 23
                  K - 18
                  L - 48
                  M - 39
                  N - 22
                  O - 34
                  P - 79
                  Q - 9
                  R - 22
                  S - 78
                  T - 105
                  U - 13
                  V - 9
                  W - 58
                  X - 27
                  Y - 18
                  Z - 9

                  And that's not the entire area, just my closest 1,000 PQ.  Heck, Paul and I could go caching tomorrow and finish off the challenge fairly easily.

                  Russ the Waterweasel

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                    is it a date, then?
                    No, wait, I have to work. Dang!

                    BarbJ = alphabeting = Tygress

[...]

                    53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
                    consumerproducts.com
                  • Paul Albers
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                      Dang, I have to work too! What time are we going?

                      -paul
                      HiDude_98

                      gumbietygress@... wrote:
                      is it a date, then?
                      No, wait, I have to work. Dang!

                      BarbJ = alphabeting = Tygress
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                        Saturday? <G>

                        Russ the Waterweasel

                        Dang, I have to work too! What time are we going?

                        -paul
                        HiDude_98

                        gumbietygress@... wrote:

                        is it a date, then?
                        No, wait, I have to work. Dang!

                        BarbJ = alphabeting = Tygress

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                          hmmmmm
                          that's right, daylight ain't no gating item for a HiDude!

                          Dang, I have to work too! What time are we going?

                          -paul
                          HiDude_98

                          gumbietygress@... wrote:

                          is it a date, then?
                          No, wait, I have to work. Dang!
                          BarbJ = alphabeting = Tygress

                          LifeLock® Official Site
                          Identity Theft Can Happen to Anyone So Get Protection with LifeLock.
                          LifeLock.com
                        • Indigo Parrish
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Albers <palbers@...> wrote:

                            > Indigo Parrish wrote:
                            >
                            > > Both of those Challenges allow for previous finds to count.
                            > > <>Any year-based Challenge that strictly require brand new finds make it
                            > >
                            > > "unfairly difficult for experienced cachers that have already found
                            > > most or all of the qualifying caches."
                            > >
                            > > Seriously? Yes, seriously.
                            > >
                            > > The relative paucity of Q, X, and Z caches is what PR is being
                            > > obstinate over. His entire argument is simply, patently, empirically,
                            > > demonstrably incorrect.
                            > >
                            > > He's just looking out for the interests of all you five-digit find
                            > > cachers ;) LOL
                            >

                            > Since I'm one of the five-digit cachers and tend to go after many new
                            > hides, I took a look
                            > at what I have available to find in the five counties and here is my
                            > list, out of the 834 caches
                            > I have yet to find in those five counties:
                            >
                            > A - 43
                            > B - 56
                            > C - 57
                            > D - 27
                            > E - 14
                            > F - 18
                            > G - 24
                            > H - 35
                            > I - 13
                            > J - 12
                            > K - 15
                            > L - 37
                            > M - 41
                            > N - 20
                            > O - 31
                            > P - 58
                            > Q - 5
                            > R - 32
                            > S - 64
                            > T - 126
                            > U - 10
                            > V - 7
                            > W - 54
                            > X - 12
                            > Y - 19
                            > Z - 5
                            >
                            > Sure, some are sparse, but with five or more for me to choose from, I
                            > feel that I would have
                            > no problem completing this challenge. Grabbing the FTF would be
                            > unlikely, but completing
                            > the challenge would definitely happen. :)

                            Stop confusing PR with simple counterexamples!!
                            It's very hard to maintain his untenable postion that way ;)

                            The final thing that cracks me up about PR's argument is that
                            (counter to his expectations) the experienced cachers actually
                            probably enjoy that added bit of difficulty anyway. It might take
                            just a bit more planning or a bit longer routing but knocking it off
                            in one day is still easily doable even for the five-digit folks.

                            > Thank you very much Dick for working through the challenges you are
                            > being faced with for
                            > this cache. I can also think of several much more restrictive challenges
                            > to our North. Just
                            > compare the restrictiveness of this challenge to the challenge to find
                            > caches on the seven
                            > highest summits in the world. I can guarantee you that the ABC challenge
                            > would be available
                            > to far more cachers than it is.
                            >
                            > Bottom line, every cache is not for everyone. If a so called five-digit
                            > cacher has limited their
                            > available options to complete the challenge due to caching 'too much' in
                            > the area, so be it,
                            > for that was their choice. At least we are able to. There are many
                            > caches that some will
                            > never be able to get, due to a vast array of reasons ( special training,
                            > physical limitations,
                            > etc... ). Not allowing those specialized or difficult caches, due to not
                            > all being able to get
                            > them, would be a travesty. IMHO.

                            I totally agree 100%

                            Hey PR -- may we have some Soup? PLEASE ??

                            -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
                          • Richard
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                              Wow, I've haven't stirred up this much conversation in years.
                              Blizzard
                            • steve allen
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                                If you need some extras. I have a *, !, :, ;, and a Y, W and Z in the same 3 mile area. I know they are in MO but hey it makes it for more soup!

                                thanks,
                                MO Pirate

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                                  Isn't it nice to be POPULAR?!?

                                  =g=

                                  BarbJ = in the soup = Tygress

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                                    Ready, Set, Go Cache On!

                                    > Isn't it nice to be POPULAR?!? =g= BarbJ = in the soup = Tygress

                                  • Richard
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                                      Friends, thanks to all who voiced support and encouragement on this forum and privately for the Alphabet Soup Challenge over the past few days. You are appreciated!
                                      Cache on,
                                      Dick Young

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 4, 2012
                                        Hey, it's a puzzle I can actually crack, and a challenge I can actually meet!
                                        Totally self-motivated here, Dick!

                                        =GRINS!!!=

                                        BarbJ/Tygress

                                        Friends, thanks to all who voiced support and encouragement on this forum and privately for the Alphabet Soup Challenge over the past few days.  You are appreciated!
                                        Cache on,
                                        Dick Young

                                        > Isn't it nice to be POPULAR?!? =g= BarbJ = in the soup = Tygress

                                      • lignumaqua
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 5, 2012
                                          I've posted a GSAK macro that will check your 'Found' database for compliance with Dick's 2012 ABC Cache here on the forum in the 'Files' section. It includes the additional counties and the new 1,2 requirement.

                                          Mike

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 6, 2012
                                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:

                                            > I've posted a GSAK macro that will check your 'Found' database for compliance with Dick's 2012 ABC Cache here on the forum in the 'Files' section. It includes the additional counties and the new 1,2 requirement.

                                            Hi Mike --

                                            Thanks for the GSAK macro!

                                            I think this it might be doing the wrong thing with the '1' and '2' caches. In particular, I don't think the same cache can be used for both a letter and a number since the Challenge says you have to find 28 caches.

                                            I noticed this since the macro reused these two caches in my case:

                                            URP Parmer Lane Series #14
                                            No Ifs, Ands, or Butts #2

                                            Best wishes,

                                            -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
                                          • lignumaqua
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 6, 2012
                                              Yes - good point! You can never get that overlap with the letters as they always have to be the first character. As the numbers can appear anywhere in the string, duplicates are possible and it's more complex.

                                              I'll fix it!

                                              Mike

                                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > I've posted a GSAK macro that will check your 'Found' database for compliance with Dick's 2012 ABC Cache here on the forum in the 'Files' section. It includes the additional counties and the new 1,2 requirement.
                                              >
                                              > Hi Mike --
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for the GSAK macro!
                                              >
                                              > I think this it might be doing the wrong thing with the '1' and '2' caches. In particular, I don't think the same cache can be used for both a letter and a number since the Challenge says you have to find 28 caches.
                                              >
                                              > I noticed this since the macro reused these two caches in my case:
                                              >
                                              > URP Parmer Lane Series #14
                                              > No Ifs, Ands, or Butts #2
                                              >
                                              > Best wishes,
                                              >
                                              > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

                                            • lignumaqua
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 6, 2012
                                                I've posted an updated version of the macro which (I think!) deals with all the possible options correctly. It tries all combinations to find the one with most hits.

                                                Mike

                                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:

                                                > Yes - good point! You can never get that overlap with the letters as they always have to be the first character. As the numbers can appear anywhere in the string, duplicates are possible and it's more complex.
                                                >
                                                > I'll fix it!
                                                >
                                                > Mike
                                                >
                                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@> wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@> wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > I've posted a GSAK macro that will check your 'Found' database for compliance with Dick's 2012 ABC Cache here on the forum in the 'Files' section. It includes the additional counties and the new 1,2 requirement.
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi Mike --
                                                > >
                                                > > Thanks for the GSAK macro!
                                                > >
                                                > > I think this it might be doing the wrong thing with the '1' and '2' caches. In particular, I don't think the same cache can be used for both a letter and a number since the Challenge says you have to find 28 caches.
                                                > >
                                                > > I noticed this since the macro reused these two caches in my case:
                                                > >
                                                > > URP Parmer Lane Series #14
                                                > > No Ifs, Ands, or Butts #2
                                                > >
                                                > > Best wishes,
                                                > >
                                                > > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

                                              • moosiegirltx
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 7, 2012
                                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:

                                                  > I've posted a GSAK macro that will check your 'Found' database for compliance with Dick's 2012 ABC Cache here on the forum in the 'Files' section. It includes the additional counties and the new 1,2 requirement.
                                                  >
                                                  > Mike

                                                  You are TOO GOOD to us, Mike!! <3<3

                                                  I guess I could say I've started 2012 out right, since I completed the ABC Challenge on 1/3 with Cybercat (Jana) and LSLnL (Cindy). At least I THINK I did - I need to make sure of the qualifications ...

                                                  Candy