The Texas Challenge

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2012
      OK people, it's January. The time has now come to get excited about The Texas Challenge. I'd like to have an event the second Saturday in February somewhere in Austin/Round Rock area to do some explaining and planning.

      1st thing - I really would like to have a few people volunteer to help load GPSrs. That time of the morning is hectic. The more people helping the better.

      2nd - We really do need to have some strategy. Im not going to tell people you have to go here or there, but I am going to ask that we at least try to get the whole place covered.

      3rd - I'd like a few people to volunteer to lead teams. Newbies are going to have a better time if they are teamed up with some experienced people. If you've been to at least two Challenges and have a couple hundred finds I'd count you as experienced enough to lead a few people.

      4th - I don't care if we don't win, but I do want us to try to do our best. If you think you're going to hold us back, don't worry about it. Just pledge to try your best, do your best, and go the whole time. Here's where I can throw in a major rule change that is being implemented this year - The lowest 20% of a team's scores will be dropped before the team score is average. If West Texas only has 10 people, then only 8 scores will count. If we have 100, then only the best 80 scores will count. The exceptin is in cheating - cheaters will get a 0 and that score WILL be averaged into the team score, SO DON'T CHEAT!!!!

      5th - I want to win, but if we don't I won't cry. I will cry if we are beat by one certain team - Oklahoma. That's right, them Okies are putting a team together and are going to try to take our Golden Ammo Can. I do NOT want to get beat by the Okies! As was said at the board meeting last night, the only reason that Texas doesn't slide into the Gulf of Mexico is because Oklahoma sucks!

      The Texas Challnge is March 10. See GC33CNK. Be sure to leave a Will Attend log AND register/pay using the link provided on that page (which takes you to the TXGA site and then another external site).
    • Mrs. Captain Picard
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2012
        Hi Tom,

        I suggest that we spread our meetings far and wide.  I'd be glad to host a meeting either here in San Antonio, New Braunfels or Kerrville.  CenTex has always been Austin, San Antonio, Waco, College Station, Hill Country, and FRIENDS!

        We need to communicate how fun it is, even though it's competitive.  The actual game is only one part of a whole weekend of fun, too.  There will be lots of chances to meet and greet cachers from all around the state, trade coins, pathtags and travelbugs.  There will be good food, night caching, silent auction (probably) and other frivolity.  Lots of people camp for the weekend, and lots of people don't.  Kids?  There's usually a Camp Little Cacher available during the actual Challenge.  Slightly older kids will have fun competing.

        I think people who know what's going on will be prepared and will end up with higher scores, too!  WooHoo!  My #1 tip?  Whether you're hiking to the back of the park or caching from the parking lots, keep finding things the WHOLE game period.  Don't stop!

        Let me know where you would like me to have my event.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2012
          Julie,

          In the words of your other husband - "Make it so" (and picture my hand going out). You can have your event(s) where ever you like. Notice that (s)? Yes, you can have more than one.

          And this isn't limited to Julie. Those of you who have a few of these Challenges under your belts feel free to set one up too. The idea is to get the word out that we want people to come and have a great time. If they play, great! If they don't, they're still going to have a good time. And no matter what their skill level, we have something they can do.

          EWB - Tom