Re: A Call for Help!

  • wearegaughen
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 24, 2011
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Jay!
      > > I talked to my "friend" about the cache after I did some more research and we both agree with what others have said about helping to maintain the cache. It seems to be ok and is still being found without too much trouble.
      > > Also thanks for the update on the other older still active caches in the area!
      >
      > I would be happy to adopt "Barton Creek Greenbelt".
      >
      > I've already adopted "Hill Country Bounty" and "Demise of a Dot Com" and resurrected "Gordo's Grotto".
      >
      > I'll try contacting the CO and offer to adopt ...
      >
      > More generally, if anyone knows of any old caches that need to be adopted, give me a shout.
      >
      > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

      I've been systematically visiting the greenbelt lately and found a number of caches that could use some serious attention - had I known better I would have carried replacement containers with me :(
      The condition ranges from containers in poor condition to no container at all (found a only pile of cache contents and remnants of logbook at one). Zionzr2 and I left a replacement for a greenbelt cache on Tuesday (Cool View GCJQ4V) but here's my list of the others that could use some TLC/replacement/adoption:

      Barton Creek Waterfalls GC6FA (Apr 01) disintegrating container
      MP3/CD/DVD Exchange GC9517 (Sep 02) disintegrating container
      The Fallen One GCQ72Y (Aug 05) missing lid and logbook
      Up YOUR Greenbelt Challenge GC3996 (Feb 02) missing container

      --Brendan / WeAreGaughen
    • semperquestio
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 26, 2011
        Perhaps they have reached the end of their life cycles and should be archived. Then folks can put out new caches on those places or in even better spots nearby that everyone could enjoy. Let's face it, no cache can live forever...and maybe they shouldn't. Just my .02

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "wearegaughen" <brendanisgone@...> wrote:

        > I replied to this intending to make a public post but I think I may have ended up just sending a message directly to Indigo Parrish instead. Still figuring out this message board I guess. Anyway I've been caching in the greenbelt quite a bit lately and encountered a number of caches that need some TLC, ranging from damaged containers to one that was only a pile of swag and logbook pages:
        >
        > MP3/CD/DVD Exchange GC9517 (Sep 02) container falling apart
        > The Fallen One GCQ72Y (Aug 05) empty container, missing lid
        > Up YOUR Greenbelt Challenge GC3996 (Feb 02) missing container
        > Barton Creek Waterfalls GC6FA (Apr 01) container falling apart
        > Not Another Greenbelt Cache GCZTT7 (Dec 06) CO is looking for someone to adopt
        >
        > Perhaps future visitors to these caches can bring along replacement containers to keep them going.
        >
        > --Brendan / WeAreGaughen
        >

        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thanks Jay!
        > > > I talked to my "friend" about the cache after I did some more research and we both agree with what others have said about helping to maintain the cache. It seems to be ok and is still being found without too much trouble.
        > > > Also thanks for the update on the other older still active caches in the area!
        > >
        > > I would be happy to adopt "Barton Creek Greenbelt".
        > >
        > > I've already adopted "Hill Country Bounty" and "Demise of a Dot Com" and resurrected "Gordo's Grotto".
        > >
        > > I'll try contacting the CO and offer to adopt ...
        > >
        > > More generally, if anyone knows of any old caches that need to be adopted, give me a shout.
        > >
        > > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

      • Indigo Parrish
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 15, 2011
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "wearegaughen" <brendanisgone@...> wrote:

          > I replied to this intending to make a public post but I think I may have ended up just sending a message directly to Indigo Parrish instead. Still figuring out this message board I guess. Anyway I've been caching in the greenbelt quite a bit lately and encountered a number of caches that need some TLC, ranging from damaged containers to one that was only a pile of swag and logbook pages:
          >
          > Barton Creek Waterfalls GC6FA (Apr 01) container falling apart

          This oldtimer is worth preserving since it's a rare year 2001 cache. I'll contact the CO and offer to adopt it. If they don't answer back, I'll replace the container to help keep it going.

          > Up YOUR Greenbelt Challenge GC3996 (Feb 02) missing container
          > MP3/CD/DVD Exchange GC9517 (Sep 02) container falling apart
          > The Fallen One GCQ72Y (Aug 05) empty container, missing lid

          I'll bring replacement containers the next time I pass near them. But it might be simplest just to archive them and list new ones if the COs have truly abandoned them.

          > Not Another Greenbelt Cache GCZTT7 (Dec 06) CO is looking for someone to adopt

          I'll contact the CO for this one.

          -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
        • Indigo Parrish
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2012
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "wearegaughen" <brendanisgone@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I replied to this intending to make a public post but I think I may have ended up just sending a message directly to Indigo Parrish instead. Still figuring out this message board I guess. Anyway I've been caching in the greenbelt quite a bit lately and encountered a number of caches that need some TLC, ranging from damaged containers to one that was only a pile of swag and logbook pages:
            > >
            > > Barton Creek Waterfalls GC6FA (Apr 01) container falling apart
            >
            > This oldtimer is worth preserving since it's a rare year 2001 cache. I'll contact the CO and offer to adopt it. If they don't answer back, I'll replace the container to help keep it going.

            UPDATE : I have adopted this one and intend to spruce it up.
            I tried to get there yesterday but ran out of daylight.

            > > Up YOUR Greenbelt Challenge GC3996 (Feb 02) missing container

            I completely fixed up the final for this and have offered to adopt.

            > > MP3/CD/DVD Exchange GC9517 (Sep 02) container falling apart

            I added a ziploc and pen but this one might should just be archived.

            > > The Fallen One GCQ72Y (Aug 05) empty container, missing lid

            I completely fixed up this cache and have offered to adopt.

            > I'll bring replacement containers the next time I pass near them. But it might be simplest just to archive them and list new ones if the COs have truly abandoned them.
            >
            > > Not Another Greenbelt Cache GCZTT7 (Dec 06) CO is looking for someone to adopt
            >
            > I'll contact the CO for this one.

            I completely fixed up this cache and have offered to adopt.

            -Keith (Indigo Parrish aka Mr Maintenance ;)