Guess who we met on the cruise ship???

  • Mrs. Captain Picard
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2011

      Footnotes coach and I were exploring our cruise ship on the first day of our vacation when I felt a tap on my shoulder.  It was Austin geocacher John of JnJWalla!  He and Judy were also cruising!  Although they spent their port days a little differently than we did, it was really fun catching up at the end of the day to find out what they'd one and which caches they'd found.  On Grand Cayman, we actually ran into them hiking between caches out in the middle of nowhere!  Too cool!

      JnJWalla are cachers from way back, and we spent a good afternoon talking about the Mr. Hot Potato Head game that nearly caused Central Texas to spontaneously combust.  Also, they had attended my Jugglefest event in 2004 when the Footnotes jump rope team performed as invited guests and blew us all away with their routine.  Of course, Roger (Footnotes coach) didn't come with the team that year, and wasn't a geocacher yet, but he and I met for the first time at the Jugglefest event in 2008 when the team was invited again and he came and WAS a geocacher by then.   Two years later, we got married.   Wonderful memories!

      If anybody ever wants to combine geocaching with cruising, please let me know.  I have some suggestions on how to make it work.

      Good to see you guys on the ship!  So fun!

      Cheers,

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
        Hey, you can make cruising and geocaching work together... often fairly easily!

        =grins=

        But it IS sort of why we've been asking about tablets. Russ did NOT throw the Inspiron into the Danube ... but I saw him lift it thoughtfully and look at the window a couple times....

        BarbJ/cruisin' for caches!/Tygress

        (and coolbeans to know someone on the cruise!!!!)(Grand Cayman! Did you swim with the stingrays? Or, rather, go to Hell?)

[...]

        Hyatt Summerfield Suites®
        All Suites Hotel with a Full Kitchen. Free Breakfast & Wi-Fi. Book Now
        Hyatt.com/SummerfieldSuites
      • lowracer
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
          Cool to hear about other cachers who cache on cruise ships. (say that five times fast...).

          Last summer I did an Alaskan cruise with the family and managed to bag some rare Alaskan caches. Brings a whole new dimension to the game when you are on the trail and know that Grizzly bears may be out and about. I knew there were other cachers on the boat because I saw their online logs but never did run into any either that I knew or didn't know.

          Would like to hear the cache cruising tips...

          That hot potato head game was a lot of fun. We were just playing hard is all....

          -Mark

          > Footnotes coach and I were exploring our cruise ship on the first day of
          > our vacation when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Austin geocacher
          > John of JnJWalla! He and Judy were also cruising! Although they spent
          > their port days a little differently than we did, it was really fun
          > catching up at the end of the day to find out what they'd one and which
          > caches they'd found. On Grand Cayman, we actually ran into them hiking
          > between caches out in the middle of nowhere! Too cool!
          >
          > JnJWalla are cachers from way back, and we spent a good afternoon talking
          > about the Mr. Hot Potato Head game that nearly caused Central Texas to
          > spontaneously combust. Also, they had attended my Jugglefest event in 2004
          > when the Footnotes jump rope team performed as invited guests and blew us
          > all away with their routine. Of course, Roger (Footnotes coach) didn't
          > come with the team that year, and wasn't a geocacher yet, but he and I met
          > for the first time at the Jugglefest event in 2008 when the team was
          > invited again and he came and WAS a geocacher by then. Two years later,
          > we got married. Wonderful memories!
          >
          > If anybody ever wants to combine geocaching with cruising, please let me
          > know. I have some suggestions on how to make it work.
          >
          > Good to see you guys on the ship! So fun!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Julie
          > Mrs. Captain Picard

        • Mrs. Captain Picard
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
            Hey Mark,

            Keith Petrus who publishes the FTF Geocacher magazine saw my post and asked me to write an article about caching and cruising for the magazine.  When I get it done, I'll post it here.  Here's one of my best hints:  host your own event!  It's a slam dunk when you absolutely have to find a cache where you're going.

            Cheers,
            Julie

          • jestrrrulz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
              I went on an Alaskan cruise a few summers ago and grabbed a few caches close to a few ports. Imagine my surprise that the sig before me at the most of the caches belonged to a fellow Austinite. It was quite humorous!

              Jeri / JestrRulz