Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Smart phones with geocaching apps

  • Dave Marquardt
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 22, 2011

      I'm not sure what you mean about the Groundspeak app and live search.  Seems to work for me.

      I've mostly used the Groundspeak app and Geobeagle on Android, they each have their strengths.

      On Oct 12, 2011 9:34 AM, "Denise Vajdak" <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:

      > My suggestion is for Android.  Lots of good apps for free.
      > c:geo (opensource-so not against Groundspeak's TOS) is the BEST app for caching and I use it a vast majority of the time.  The Live Map search is what I use the most. You can upload logs or you can upload them as Field Notes to complete later. And it's FREE!
      > The Groundspeak app still doesn't have a live search and you can't move it to your SD card. - $9.99
      > OpenCaching for Android is a new one for Opencaching.US ($3.99, but I think it's worth it)  (Opencaching.com has one if you use the Garmin site)
      > GPS Averaging is great for taking coordinates for placing caches - Free
      > GCC Calculator can help solving puzzles - Free
      > Box Radar if you do any letterboxing on Atlas Quest or Letterboxing.org - Free
      > Columbus is one that can find OCUS caches and Geocaching.com caches on it - Free
      >
      > The ones above are great for live searching.  If you want to use Pocket Queries, you could also try GeoHunter.
      >
      > With most of the apps above, you can use GPS Status as the Radar, which gives you lots of info.
      >

      > Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
      > http://denisevajdak.us
      >
      > Find me on opencaching.US, geocaching.communzee.com and more...
      > If you hide it, they will come!
      >

      > On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Droid Bionic + c:geo.
      >>

      >> --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, cwortz@... wrote:
      >> >
      >> > I need to upgrade my phone and am looking for recommendations for smart phones
      >> > that have good geocaching apps.
      >> >
      >> > Backwards Charlie from Austin

    • Denise Vajdak
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2011
        What I mean is that you can't go directly to a map view and have it update as you drive along.  On the GS app, you have to do a search of the nearby ones and then display those results on a map.  If you are driving, it doesn't update with new ones in your current location as does c:geo.

        With the last updates, you are at least able to move the Groundspeak app to the SD.  That helps.