RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Poison Ivy!

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011

      Yes, Julie I noticed the distinct lack of chiggers this year. Yea! I guess that is one bright side of the drought.

      As for treating poison ivy, I have found that the various scrubs work very well if you use them in time, Tecnu is good (but expensive), I have also recently come across a scrub by Cortaid the same folks who make cortisone topical creams. Years ago my Dr. prescribed cortisone cream for a bad poison ivy reaction that I had. I have also used Benadryl topical cream to control the itch; it does not make you drowsy like the pills will. Basically, there is not cure for it; you can just manage the itch until it goes away.

      In the field I have had good luck with the hand sanitizers.

      +-+ Jay - Bing-GTX

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011
        I swear by the tecnu brand of products (they work).   When it is bad, I usually have to go get a steriod pack from my doctor and that helps dry it up and clear it up (not preferred).

        Greg Jewett
        Solutions Consultant / Developer
        (512) 308-6214       greg (at) ejewett.com

        On Oct 14, 2011, at 11:45 , Jay Bingham wrote:

        Yes, Julie I noticed the distinct lack of chiggers this year. Yea! I guess that is one bright side of the drought.
        As for treating poison ivy, I have found that the various scrubs work very well if you use them in time, Tecnu is good (but expensive), I have also recently come across a scrub by Cortaid the same folks who make cortisone topical creams. Years ago my Dr. prescribed cortisone cream for a bad poison ivy reaction that I had. I have also used Benadryl topical cream to control the itch; it does not make you drowsy like the pills will. Basically, there is not cure for it; you can just manage the itch until it goes away.
        In the field I have had good luck with the hand sanitizers.

        +-+ Jay - Bing-GTX
        |+|  Georgetown ,  TX  USA

        Try Benadryl lotion.  There are also several relief "scrubs" where there is a gritty substance that you rub on for a while before you rinse it off.  That alleviates the itch for at least a while and then you do it again.  Don't forget, this is an allergic reaction, so taking Benadryl in pill form or another antihistimine might work for you also.

        It seems to me like poison ivy looks different every time I see it, but once you learn what to look for, you'll begin to see it EVERYWHERE!  And that's good, 'cause you can avoid it then, even if it's knowing when to get a stick to brush it aside, or being able to tippy toe through the patches.

        If worse comes to worse, a doctor can give you a shot of something for it.

        Did any body else notice that there weren't any chiggers this year??????  I think I had one bite all summer.

        Cheers,

        On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:26 PM, A <barneycats@...> wrote:

        Somewhere between Coppertone's Curse and What Lies Beneath I ran into poison ivy. Its miserable. Most experienced cachers have probably dealt with it at one point or another, so what do you do to avoid it (does Ivy Block work?) and how do you treat it?
        Amy (GS589)

      • electric_water_boy
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 14, 2011
          I keep baby wipes in the car just in case. If I even think I got into the stuff I wipe down. You need to get the oil off quick or you're done for.

          EWB

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 15, 2011
            Wipes are also handy for non-PI attacks ... oh, greenbriar and cedar gashes, ant bites, etc....
            Part of the Cacher-Aid kit. [Which also includes cache containers, wire and monofilament, duct tape, spare logs, a couple magnets... because cachers aren't the only thing that needs maintenance!]

            BarbJ =be prepared!= Tygress

            I keep baby wipes in the car just in case.  If I even think I got into the stuff I wipe down.  You need to get the oil off quick or you're done for.

            EWB

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A" <barneycats@...> wrote:

            > Somewhere between Coppertone's Curse and What Lies Beneath I ran into poison ivy. Its miserable. Most experienced cachers have probably dealt with it at one point or another, so what do you do to avoid it (does Ivy Block work?) and how do you treat it?
            > Amy (GS589)

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

            57-Year-Old Mom Looks 25
            Mom Reveals Free Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors!
            ConsumerLifestyles.org
          • Victor Engel
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2011
              Please note, though, that you better be thorough about getting it off. If you don't get it off, you could make things worse by spreading it around to a larger area. Products such as Tecnu that actually bind to the urusiol oils work better as a prophylaxis because you don't have to be so thorough.

              Victor

              On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM, electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:
              I keep baby wipes in the car just in case.  If I even think I got into the stuff I wipe down.  You need to get the oil off quick or you're done for.

              EWB

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A" <barneycats@...> wrote:

              > Somewhere between Coppertone's Curse and What Lies Beneath I ran into poison ivy. Its miserable. Most experienced cachers have probably dealt with it at one point or another, so what do you do to avoid it (does Ivy Block work?) and how do you treat it?
              > Amy (GS589)

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

            • ouchcomics
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 15, 2011
                Once you've been bitten a couple of times, you get pretty good at identifying poison ivy. It seems like it is the only thing that grew well this Summer. I wash or wipe off my ankles (and the kids') quickly after exposure. That ussually does the trick. I also wear pants, or at least pull my socks up (in Summer) when I'm tromping in pi areas.
                A couple of years ago I got a nasty strip of pi on each shin. I tried calamine lotion on one leg and Benadryl cream on the other to see which would clear up faster and itch less. Sounds like a good idea? Sure, but I totally forgot which worked better. Oh well... good luck.
                Paul
                de Los Komodos