Cool New Software (Firmware) for the Oregon 450 and 550 models

  • banda_geocacher
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 13, 2011
      If you own one of the Garmin Oregon 450 or 550 models, check out this new software. Lot's of neat and helpful new features for geocachers!

      The update is available here:

      http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

      And you can visualize and read about the changes here:

      http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html

      In addition to new functionality for Opencaching, there is much more information on traditional geocaches available now on several screens. Compare the screen shots to your current screens, and you will notice things such as size, difficulty, terrain, etc. now available on more screens than ever before.

      You can also now narrow down your choices with filters for type, size, terrain, difficulty, etc.

      Enjoy!

      Brent (BandA)
    • Bill Ellis
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 14, 2011
        I like those changes!!

        --
        ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
        Bill
        a.k.a ZionZR2
        512-789-1469
        <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
      • Bill Ellis
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 14, 2011
          I think I noticed a flaw in the update...

          Now every time I power on the unit it has to reload all the waypoints which takes a couple minutes.  Before It only loaded the waypoints when I made a change to the the files loaded on the unit. so it would power up much more quickly if there was no change in the files between power cycles.

          Anyone else noticed this??

          On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:
          I like those changes!!

          On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:

          If you own one of the Garmin Oregon 450 or 550 models, check out this new software. Lot's of neat and helpful new features for geocachers!

          The update is available here:

          http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

          And you can visualize and read about the changes here:

          http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html

          In addition to new functionality for Opencaching, there is much more information on traditional geocaches available now on several screens. Compare the screen shots to your current screens, and you will notice things such as size, difficulty, terrain, etc. now available on more screens than ever before.

          You can also now narrow down your choices with filters for type, size, terrain, difficulty, etc.

          Enjoy!

          Brent (BandA)

          --
          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469
          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

          --
          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469
          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
        • John Baker
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 14, 2011

            Yes, it is happening to me too! Like the update, but not the slow down.

            John/thenkengrene (in Abilene caching back home tomorrow)

            On Oct 14, 2011 6:15 PM, "Bill Ellis" <zionzr2@...> wrote:

            I think I noticed a flaw in the update...

            Now every time I power on the unit it has to reload all the waypoints which takes a couple minutes.  Before It only loaded the waypoints when I made a change to the the files loaded on the unit. so it would power up much more quickly if there was no change in the files between power cycles.

            Anyone else noticed this??

            On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

            > I like those changes!...

          • banda_geocacher
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 20, 2011
              The change description isn't very descriptive, but it looks like they may have a fix for this:
              http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523
              Brent

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

              > Yes, it is happening to me too! Like the update, but not the slow down.
              >
              > John/thenkengrene (in Abilene caching back home tomorrow)
              >
              > On Oct 14, 2011 6:15 PM, "Bill Ellis" <zionzr2@...> wrote:
              >
              > **
              >

              > I think I noticed a flaw in the update...
              >
              > Now every time I power on the unit it has to reload all the waypoints which
              > takes a couple minutes. Before It only loaded the waypoints when I made a
              > change to the the files loaded on the unit. so it would power up much more
              > quickly if there was no change in the files between power cycles.
              >
              > Anyone else noticed this??
              >

              > On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I like those changes!...

            • John Baker
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 20, 2011
                Excellent! I hope this fixes it! I'll know tomorrow when I test it. The "loading" every time taxes the batteries and slows down the finding of caches.

                John/thenkengrene

                On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:

                The change description isn't very descriptive, but it looks like they may have a fix for this:
                http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523
                Brent

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

                > Yes, it is happening to me too! Like the update, but not the slow down.
                >
                > John/thenkengrene (in Abilene caching back home tomorrow)
                >
                > On Oct 14, 2011 6:15 PM, "Bill Ellis" <zionzr2@...> wrote:
                >
                > **
                >

                > I think I noticed a flaw in the update...
                >
                > Now every time I power on the unit it has to reload all the waypoints which
                > takes a couple minutes. Before It only loaded the waypoints when I made a
                > change to the the files loaded on the unit. so it would power up much more
                > quickly if there was no change in the files between power cycles.
                >
                > Anyone else noticed this??
                >

                > On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I like those changes!...

              • Bill Ellis
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 20, 2011
                  Yea!!!  Restart time much improved!!!!

                  --
                  ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                  Bill
                  a.k.a ZionZR2
                  512-789-1469
                  <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                • banda_geocacher
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011
                    I'm curious, how many caches do you two guys typically load on your Oregon, and do you store them on the sd card or in the internal memory?

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

                    > Yea!!! Restart time much improved!!!!
                    >

                    > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Excellent! I hope this fixes it! I'll know tomorrow when I test it. The
                    > > caches.
                    > >
                    > > John/thenkengrene
                    > >

                    > > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...>wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> **
                    > >>

                    > >> The change description isn't very descriptive, but it looks like they may
                    > >> have a fix for this:
                    > >> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523
                    > >> Brent
                    > >>
                    > >> --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@>

                    > >> which
                    > >> more

                    > --
                    > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                    > Bill
                    > a.k.a ZionZR2
                    > 512-789-1469
                    > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                  • banda_geocacher
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011
                      I'm curious, how many caches do you two guys typically load on your Oregons, and do you load them on the sd card, or in the internal memory?

                      Brent

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

                      > Yea!!! Restart time much improved!!!!
                      >

                      > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > Excellent! I hope this fixes it! I'll know tomorrow when I test it. The
                      > > caches.
                      > >
                      > > John/thenkengrene
                      > >

                      > > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...>wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> **
                      > >>

                      > >> The change description isn't very descriptive, but it looks like they may
                      > >> have a fix for this:
                      > >> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523
                      > >> Brent
                      > >>
                      > >> --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@>

                      > >> which
                      > >> more

                      > --
                      > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                      > Bill
                      > a.k.a ZionZR2
                      > 512-789-1469
                      > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                    • banda_geocacher
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011

                          For today's run I have loaded around 150. No, not getting them all. Normally I have about 90 miles in every direction from my home. It can be around 4000 caches.  Loaded on internal memory.

                          John/thenkengrene

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011
                            OK. I was wondering if the number of caches and the location of the file would affect start-up time. My theory was that multiple thousands of caches loaded on the sd card would cause longer start-up times, but I guess you were seeing that even with internal memory. I have found that less than 100 caches loads very quickly, even with 5.10

                            Brent

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

                            > For today's run I have loaded around 150. No, not getting them all. Normally
                            > I have about 90 miles in every direction from my home. It can be around 4000
                            > caches. Loaded on internal memory.
                            >
                            > John/thenkengrene
                            >
                            > On Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > **
                            >

                            > I'm curious, how many caches do you two guys typically load on your Oregons,
                            > and do you load them on the sd card, or in the internal memory?
                            >
                            > Brent

                          • John Baker
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011

                              Yes, with the last version the fewer the caches the faster the load time. Now it should be fast whether it is 100 or 5000.

                              John/thenkengrene

                              On Oct 21, 2011 9:16 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

                              OK. I was wondering if the number of caches and the location of the file would affect start-up time. My theory was that multiple thousands of caches loaded on the sd card would cause longer start-up times, but I guess you were seeing that even with internal memory. I have found that less than 100 caches loads very quickly, even with 5.10

                              Brent

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

                              > For today'...

                              > On Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > **

                              > I'm curious, how many caches do you two guys typically load on your Oregons,
                              > and do you l...

                            • banda_geocacher
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011
                                That's good. My only other concern is that previously I had instances where I would load an updated gpx file with the same name, but the caches would not update properly. I think that is what Garmin was trying to fix with 5.10. I wonder if the problem will return with 5.20.

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

                                > Yes, with the last version the fewer the caches the faster the load time.
                                > Now it should be fast whether it is 100 or 5000.
                                >
                                > John/thenkengrene
                                >
                                > On Oct 21, 2011 9:16 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > **
                                >

                                > OK. I was wondering if the number of caches and the location of the file
                                > would affect start-up time. My theory was that multiple thousands of caches
                                > loaded on the sd card would cause longer start-up times, but I guess you
                                > were seeing that even with internal memory. I have found that less than 100
                                > caches loads very quickly, even with 5.10
                                >
                                > Brent
                                >

                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > For today'...
                                > > On Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > **
                                >

                                > > I'm curious, how many caches do you two guys typically load on your
                                > Oregons,
                                > > and do you l...

                              • banda_geocacher
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011
                                  That's good. The only other concern I have is that with previous versions, I had problems when I would load updated gpx files with the same name and the caches would not update properly. I think that is what Garmin was trying to fix with 5.10. I wonder if the problem will return with 5.20.
                                  Brent

                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

                                  > Yes, with the last version the fewer the caches the faster the load time.
                                  > Now it should be fast whether it is 100 or 5000.
                                  >
                                  > John/thenkengrene
                                  >
                                  > On Oct 21, 2011 9:16 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > OK. I was wondering if the number of caches and the location of the file
                                  > would affect start-up time. My theory was that multiple thousands of caches
                                  > loaded on the sd card would cause longer start-up times, but I guess you
                                  > were seeing that even with internal memory. I have found that less than 100
                                  > caches loads very quickly, even with 5.10
                                  >
                                  > Brent
                                  >

                                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > For today'...
                                  > > On Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > **
                                  >

                                  > > I'm curious, how many caches do you two guys typically load on your
                                  > Oregons,
                                  > > and do you l...

                                • John Baker
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011

                                    I know, in the past, if I had multiple gpx files that some would show in the gps and others wouldn't. GSAK fixed that for me so everything is in one gpx file.

                                    John/tkg

                                    On Oct 21, 2011 9:31 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

                                    That's good. The only other concern I have is that with previous versions, I had problems when I would load updated gpx files with the same name and the caches would not update properly. I think that is what Garmin was trying to fix with 5.10. I wonder if the problem will return with 5.20.

                                    Brent

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

                                    > Yes, with the last version the fewer the caches the faster the load time.
                                    > Now it should be fast ...

                                    > On Oct 21, 2011 9:16 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > **

                                    > OK. I was wondering if the number of caches and the location of the file
                                    > would affect sta...

                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > For today'...

                                    > > On Oct 21, 2011 8:17 AM, "banda_geocacher" <banda@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > **
                                    >

                                    > > I'm cur...

                                  • Bill Ellis
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011
                                      I have a similar set up as John.  I have a polygon that covers Georgetown to Newbranfels and from Fredricksburg to La Grange

                                      My main gpx file is all caches except puzzles and for me thats about 3500 caches I have a separate gpx for solved puzzles and a separate gpx for chirps. those add another handfull to the total.

                                      Before the big update the my gpsr would be almost instant on.  If I updated the files in any way then the first time I would turn it on after that would take almost 3 minutes or so.  But after that instant.

                                      With the recent update it would take about 3 minutes to turn all the way on every single time. NOT FUN!!  But this latest fix 5.20  makes everything happy once again.

                                      --
                                      ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                      Bill
                                      a.k.a ZionZR2
                                      512-789-1469
                                      <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                                    • Bill Ellis
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 21, 2011
                                        forgot to say that caches are store only on the internal memory in the GPX folder. the sd slot does not support gpx. waypoints.
                                        the sd slot i think is only for supplemental maps

                                        Bill
                                        a.k.a ZionZR2
                                        512-789-1469
                                      • banda_geocacher
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 1, 2011
                                          That's interesting. Message replies I tried to post back on October 21st just showed up today on November 1st!