Hummingbirds

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
      Hummingbirds

      Around here we have been suffering from the lack of rain, but an excess of rain can cause problems than beside flooding.

      I dont know if any of you have seen this video, but I thought that it was pretty amazing.

      http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/09/20/hummingbirds-having-a-feast.aspx?e_cid=20110920_DNL_art_2

      enjoy

      +-+ Jay - Bing-GTX
      |+| Georgetown, TX USA

    • Victor Engel
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
        Apparently, during migration season, this sort of sight is not uncommon because hummingbirds actually fly across the Gulf of Mexico, a feat so mindboggling I have a hard time believing it every time I hear about it. I think a hummingbird loses about half their body weight during such a flight. Unlike other birds, they can't glide. They spend the entire time in active flight. When they get to the other side, they're exhausted and feast at feeders like in the video.

        I've also heard that other birds (such as orioles) are also so exhausted that if you stand on the beach with your arms outstretched, they'll land on you in order to rest. You just have to do it at the right time of year when they're making the trek.

        Victor