iPhone and "specific app"

  • Greg Jewett
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 327 KB
    This weekend, I went caching with my boys, we went and found all the bits of the "Easter Eggstravaganza" series in NE Metro park.

    I am a iPhone cacher, love my phone, and love the Geoaching App.

    I love the built-in compass, satellite maps, and etc..  I also enjoy how it will draw a straight (birds-eye view) line from me to the cache, and turn the map based on the compass heading, so I know if I have marching the right direction.  It is a simple and clean interface -- that just works.

    HOWEVER -- Puzzle caches always seem to drive me crazy, not the cache itself, but having to enter coordinates and try to find "X" marks the spot.  I have tried Google Maps, but it always wants to translate it to an address nearby.  I have in the past tried to use "GPS Motion X" and while it has a lot of tools, it is overwhelming and constantly wants to "track" me, and I can clear the tracks, but can not turn them off.  It also updates way to slow, and it does not use the built-in compass.  So I am running around in circles trying to see if I am anywhere close to the coordinates.

  • arnaud.geo
    Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2011
      Greg,

      Checkout GeoSphere. This is my preferred application for caching with the iPhone. In my mind it is a cross between GSAK and the geocaching app on the iphone.

      It is great for puzzle and multi caches. You can edit cache coordinates on the fly or add waypoints.

      It also has excellent grouping and filtering features. it is especially good for offgrid caching.

      Arnaud - SoaringEagle

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jewett <greg@...> wrote:

      > This weekend, I went caching with my boys, we went and found all the bits of the "Easter Eggstravaganza" series in NE Metro park.
      >
      > I am a iPhone cacher, love my phone, and love the Geoaching App.
      >
      > I love the built-in compass, satellite maps, and etc.. I also enjoy how it will draw a straight (birds-eye view) line from me to the cache, and turn the map based on the compass heading, so I know if I have marching the right direction. It is a simple and clean interface -- that just works.
      >
      > HOWEVER -- Puzzle caches always seem to drive me crazy, not the cache itself, but having to enter coordinates and try to find "X" marks the spot. I have tried Google Maps, but it always wants to translate it to an address nearby. I have in the past tried to use "GPS Motion X" and while it has a lot of tools, it is overwhelming and constantly wants to "track" me, and I can clear the tracks, but can not turn them off. It also updates way to slow, and it does not use the built-in compass. So I am running around in circles trying to see if I am anywhere close to the coordinates.
      >

      > The blue dot is me. I picked a random cache near my office, and it is marked in green, with the red arrows being the "birds-eye view" line I talking about. Wish I could show you a movie, but the whole map and bits rotate based on the built-in compass, and the maps zooms in and out automatically based on how close you are to the cache. Once I am close, I switch to satellite view.
      >
      > Any fellow iPhone cachers out there that can point me to a very simple app, that works just like the Geocaching.com iPhone app, clean and easy to use, but allows you to specific the coordinates?
      > Just want to specify coordinates that replaces the "green" marker with the spot that the coordinates mark.
      >
      > THANKS! Keep on cachin'
      >
      > Greg Jewett
      > Geocaching Handle: GeoJewett
      > (512) 308-6214 greg (at) ejewett.com
      > Don't print this e-mail unless it's necessary. Save a tree
      > http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

    • Matt Wilson
      Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2011
        I must say “ditto” to the Geosphere recommendation.  The only “drawback” is that you have to import PQs—the search is not live.  Also, there’s an extra step to “immediate” online logging if you’re used to logging permanent find logs in the field (as opposed to field notes you simply edit later).  Aside from that and the $7 price tag, I would argue that it blows Groundspeak’s app out of the water.  Specifically, it makes adding multiple additional waypoints for multi’s, puzzles, etc a breeze.  The learning curve is evident, but I’d be more than happy to help convert you if you were willing.  ;-)

        Matt / Kemis

        Checkout GeoSphere. This is my preferred application for caching with the iPhone. In my mind it is a cross between GSAK and the geocaching app on the iphone.

        It is great for puzzle and multi caches. You can edit cache coordinates on the fly or add waypoints.

        It also has excellent grouping and filtering features. it is especially good for offgrid caching.

        Arnaud - SoaringEagle

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jewett <greg@...> wrote:

        > This weekend, I went caching with my boys, we went and found all the bits of the "Easter Eggstravaganza" series in NE Metro park.
        >
        > I am a iPhone cacher, love my phone, and love the Geoaching App.
        >
        > I love the built-in compass, satellite maps, and etc.. I also enjoy how it will draw a straight (birds-eye view) line from me to the cache, and turn the map based on the compass heading, so I know if I have marching the right direction. It is a simple and clean interface -- that just works.
        >
        > HOWEVER -- Puzzle caches always seem to drive me crazy, not the cache itself, but having to enter coordinates and try to find "X" marks the spot. I have tried Google Maps, but it always wants to translate it to an address nearby. I have in the past tried to use "GPS Motion X" and while it has a lot of tools, it is overwhelming and constantly wants to "track" me, and I can clear the tracks, but can not turn them off. It also updates way to slow, and it does not use the built-in compass. So I am running around in circles trying to see if I am anywhere close to the coordinates.
        >

        > The blue dot is me. I picked a random cache near my office, and it is marked in green, with the red arrows being the "birds-eye view" line I talking about. Wish I could show you a movie, but the whole map and bits rotate based on the built-in compass, and the maps zooms in and out automatically based on how close you are to the cache. Once I am close, I switch to satellite view.
        >
        > Any fellow iPhone cachers out there that can point me to a very simple app, that works just like the Geocaching.com iPhone app, clean and easy to use, but allows you to specific the coordinates?
        > Just want to specify coordinates that replaces the "green" marker with the spot that the coordinates mark.
        >
        > THANKS! Keep on cachin'
        >
        > Greg Jewett
        > Geocaching Handle: GeoJewett
        > (512) 308-6214 greg (at) ejewett.com
        > Don't print this e-mail unless it's necessary. Save a tree
        > http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

      • Mike Detlefsen
        Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12, 2011
          On 12 Sep 2011, at 17:31 , Matt Wilson wrote:

          I must say “ditto” to the Geosphere recommendation.

          As would I. It's pretty much replaced GSAK for generating lists to send to my eTrex.

          Now if you could just get it to display maps with bike routes. :-)

          Mike
        • Steve Fite
          Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12, 2011
            I will second the geosphere.  I use it on my iPad every time I go out.  Use the garmin to zero in and use geosphere to "log" the find and upload the field notes.  Many sort and filter options and best of all it goes out to geocaching dot come and pulls in my PQ's.

            Sent from my iPad

            On Sep 12, 2011, at 1:58 PM, "arnaud.geo" <soaringeagle@...> wrote:

            Greg,

            Checkout GeoSphere. This is my preferred application for caching with the iPhone. In my mind it is a cross between GSAK and the geocaching app on the iphone.

            It is great for puzzle and multi caches. You can edit cache coordinates on the fly or add waypoints.

            It also has excellent grouping and filtering features. it is especially good for offgrid caching.

            Arnaud - SoaringEagle

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jewett <greg@...> wrote:

            > This weekend, I went caching with my boys, we went and found all the bits of the "Easter Eggstravaganza" series in NE Metro park.
            >
            > I am a iPhone cacher, love my phone, and love the Geoaching App.
            >
            > I love the built-in compass, satellite maps, and etc.. I also enjoy how it will draw a straight (birds-eye view) line from me to the cache, and turn the map based on the compass heading, so I know if I have marching the right direction. It is a simple and clean interface -- that just works.
            >
            > HOWEVER -- Puzzle caches always seem to drive me crazy, not the cache itself, but having to enter coordinates and try to find "X" marks the spot. I have tried Google Maps, but it always wants to translate it to an address nearby. I have in the past tried to use "GPS Motion X" and while it has a lot of tools, it is overwhelming and constantly wants to "track" me, and I can clear the tracks, but can not turn them off. It also updates way to slow, and it does not use the built-in compass. So I am running around in circles trying to see if I am anywhere close to the coordinates.
            >

            > The blue dot is me. I picked a random cache near my office, and it is marked in green, with the red arrows being the "birds-eye view" line I talking about. Wish I could show you a movie, but the whole map and bits rotate based on the built-in compass, and the maps zooms in and out automatically based on how close you are to the cache. Once I am close, I switch to satellite view.
            >
            > Any fellow iPhone cachers out there that can point me to a very simple app, that works just like the Geocaching.com iPhone app, clean and easy to use, but allows you to specific the coordinates?
            > Just want to specify coordinates that replaces the "green" marker with the spot that the coordinates mark.
            >
            > THANKS! Keep on cachin'
            >
            > Greg Jewett
            > Geocaching Handle: GeoJewett
            > (512) 308-6214 greg (at) ejewett.com
            > Don't print this e-mail unless it's necessary. Save a tree
            > http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

          • Mark Benson
            Message 6 of 7 , Sep 12, 2011
              "I must say “ditto” to the Geosphere recommendation.  The only “drawback” is that you have to import PQs—the search is not live."

              I agree.  When I find myself in a spot where I don't have any PQ's loaded, the Groundspeak app is better for getting on-the-fly cache listings.  But for everything else, I use Geosphere.  Now don't get me wrong, you can get a nearby cache listing, but basically you'll see a Geocaching.com cache listing, centered on your location.  Navigating that interface is a bit cumbersome.  But in all other aspects of caching by phone, Geosphere is the way to go.

              Mark
              (BewareOfPenguin)
            • Keith Petrus
              Message 7 of 7 , Sep 13, 2011
                If all you are looking for is the ability to enter final coordinates, I would just use the waypoint feature in the Groundspeak geocaching app itself. To do this, just hit the "Navigate to Geocache" button, then click on the little flag icon at the top of the screen. Name the new waypoint (or not), enter the correct coords, and you're done. Once you have saved the waypoint, you can tap it to set it as the target.

                I love this feature because it gives me something to do between cache runs. I just solve the puzzles, do a trial run "Navigate to Cache" and enter the correct cords, and the final will be plugged in and ready to find the next time I'm in the area.

                BTW: GeoJewett appears several times in the July-August FTF Geocacher magazine.