Central Texas Wildfires

  • banda_geocacher
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
      Here's more on the current local wildfires:

      BASTROP COUNTY COMPLEX, Bastrop County. 14,000 acres, no containment. Heavy airtankers and single-engine airtankers assisted on this fire that started in the Lost Pines area just northeast of Bastrop. The fire has moved unchecked for at least 16 miles to the south and has jumped the Colorado River twice. Half of Bastrop State Park has burned. The Circle D, K.C. Estates, Pine Forest, Colovista and Tahitian Village subdivision have been evacuated. Firefighters are trying to hold the fire at FM 2571. Reports indicate possibly 300 homes have been destroyed. MODIS satellite image indicates the fire has jumped Highway 95 and is approximately 25,000 acres.

      STEINER RANCH, Travis County. 150 acres, no containment. The fire started just north of the Steiner Ranch subdivision. More than 1,000 homes are under mandatory evacuation in Steiner Ranch. At least 25 homes are reported lost. A Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System strike team responded.

      PEDERNALES BEND, Travis County. 7,000 acres, unknown containment. The fire is burning four miles southeast of Spicewood. Twenty homes were lost, 30 homes damaged. Lake Travis is closed to boat traffic from Mansfield Dam to Starnes Island to allow for air tanker refilling operations.

      Another grass fire has just been reported in Bastrop County as well as at Burleson and 183.

      Brent
    • banda_geocacher
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
        Richard Moya Park is currently being evacuated due to a new wildfire in the area.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

        > Here's more on the current local wildfires:
        >
        > BASTROP COUNTY COMPLEX, Bastrop County. 14,000 acres, no containment. Heavy airtankers and single-engine airtankers assisted on this fire that started in the Lost Pines area just northeast of Bastrop. The fire has moved unchecked for at least 16 miles to the south and has jumped the Colorado River twice. Half of Bastrop State Park has burned. The Circle D, K.C. Estates, Pine Forest, Colovista and Tahitian Village subdivision have been evacuated. Firefighters are trying to hold the fire at FM 2571. Reports indicate possibly 300 homes have been destroyed. MODIS satellite image indicates the fire has jumped Highway 95 and is approximately 25,000 acres.
        >
        > STEINER RANCH, Travis County. 150 acres, no containment. The fire started just north of the Steiner Ranch subdivision. More than 1,000 homes are under mandatory evacuation in Steiner Ranch. At least 25 homes are reported lost. A Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System strike team responded.
        >
        > PEDERNALES BEND, Travis County. 7,000 acres, unknown containment. The fire is burning four miles southeast of Spicewood. Twenty homes were lost, 30 homes damaged. Lake Travis is closed to boat traffic from Mansfield Dam to Starnes Island to allow for air tanker refilling operations.
        >
        > Another grass fire has just been reported in Bastrop County as well as at Burleson and 183.
        >
        > Brent

      • Victor Engel
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
          This morning they said the Steiner Ranch fire was 5% contained. That was a couple of hours ago.

          Victor

          On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

        • banda_geocacher
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2011
            Here's some information on the current local wildfires:

            BASTROP COUNTY COMPLEX, Bastrop County. 14,000 acres, no containment. Heavy
            airtankers and single-engine airtankers assisted on this fire that started in
            the Lost Pines area just northeast of Bastrop. The fire has moved unchecked for
            at least 16 miles to the south and has jumped the Colorado River twice. Half of
            Bastrop State Park has burned. The Circle D, K.C. Estates, Pine Forest,
            Colovista and Tahitian Village subdivision have been evacuated. Firefighters are
            trying to hold the fire at FM 2571. Reports indicate possibly 467 homes have
            been destroyed. MODIS satellite image indicates the fire has jumped Highway 95
            and is approximately 25,000 acres.

            STEINER RANCH, Travis County. 150 acres, 20% containment. The fire started just
            north of the Steiner Ranch subdivision. More than 1,000 homes are under
            mandatory evacuation in Steiner Ranch. At least 25 homes are reported lost. A
            Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System strike team responded.

            PEDERNALES BEND, Travis County. 7,000 acres, unknown containment. The fire is
            burning four miles southeast of Spicewood. Twenty homes were lost, 30 homes
            damaged. Lake Travis is closed to boat traffic from Mansfield Dam to Starnes
            Island to allow for air tanker refilling operations.

            Another grass fire has just been reported in Bastrop County as well as a second wildfire in Leander.

            Brent
          • Victor Engel

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 2011
                New updates just in:

                Current situation:

                · Yesterday Texas Forest Service responded to 22 new fires for 7,544 acres, including 10 new large fires.

                · In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 181 fires for 118,413 acres.

                · It appears that in the past 48 hours, more than 700 homes have been destroyed. As better assessments come in, we will continue to update the situation report.

                · 251 of the 254 Texas counties are reporting burn bans.

                · Daily detailed fire information can be found here or at inciweb.org.

                UNION CHAPEL, Bastrop County. 750 acres, 10 percent contained. Twenty-five homes were destroyed on this fire just west of Bastrop. Aircraft responded immediately after the fire was reported, but were ineffective in the windy conditions.

                MOONGLOW, Williamson County. 300 acres, no containment. This fire is burning in Leander where 150 homes were threatened. Thirteen homes are reported lost.

                BASTROP COUNTY COMPLEX, Bastrop County. 30,000 acres, no containment. Heavy airtankers and single-engine airtankers assisted on this fire that started in the Lost Pines area just northeast of Bastrop. The fire continues to move rapidly to the south, with some eastward movement. Numerous subdivisions have been evacuated. Reports indicate nearly 600 homes have been destroyed.

                PEDERNALES BEND, Travis County. 6,500 acres, 40 percent contained. The fire is burning 4 miles southeast of Spicewood. Sixty-seven homes were destroyed. The fire has jumped the Pedernales River and is burning actively towards the south.

                STEINER RANCH, Travis County. 125 acres, 40 percent contained. The fire started just north of the Steiner Ranch subdivision. More than 1,000 homes were evacuated. Thirty-five homes were destroyed. A Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System strike team responded.
              • Vicki L. Almstrum
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 2011
                  Here is a tool that was new to me (and seems like a great item to have in one's on-line geocaching repertoire). It is an interactive map that shows weather data and radar data, with the option to also show phenomena such as fires.

                  http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

                  Enter Austin, TX, then when the map comes up, select "Fire" in the the list in the right side column. The image even shows smoke coverage.

                  -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)
                • Mrs. Captain Picard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6, 2011
                    That's amazing!  Thanks for sharing that link and teaching us how to generate those cool maps.

                    Here in San Antonio, we had a fire in Stone Oak Park that threatened a large number of subdivisions if it wasn't contained, but I think they got it under control fairly quickly.  We can see smoke in the air coming from the north, and that is most likely from the Pedernales fires according to Vicki's Map.

                    My favorite place to eat in Bastrop, the Roadhouse, is most likely gone, and our beautiful Bastrop State Park will not be the same for many years, I'm sure.  I only hope they were able to protect the incredible CCC buildings in the park because that would be a huge loss.

                    After a fire there several years ago, we found the melted remains of geocaches still in their places.  I remember one where the tupperware had melted into a blob around the inner contents, but the stick pen was obviously made of a plastic of a higher melting temperature, so you had a stick pen intact, sticking out of a blob of melted plastic.

                    The whole thing is just heart breaking.

                    Be safe, everyone!

                    On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Vicki L. Almstrum <almstrum@...> wrote:

                    Here is a tool that was new to me (and seems like a great item to have in one's on-line geocaching repertoire). It is an interactive map that shows weather data and radar data, with the option to also show phenomena such as fires.

                    http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

                    Enter Austin, TX, then when the map comes up, select "Fire" in the the list in the right side column. The image even shows smoke coverage.

                    -- Vicki (FG2 in FiedoGang)

                  • Jay Bingham
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2011

                      Cool tool, Thanx