iPhone GPS booster

  • Rich and Di Michelson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2011
      I travel a lot these days and would like to cache in the evenings on my trips. But I travel light and don't want to carry our handheld GPS receiver. I have an iPhone 3GS, but its GPS receiver is not good enough for caching. I think Magellan makes a bluetooth GPS receiver that works with the iPhone somehow.

      Does anyone have experience with the Magellan product? What's it called, it is a good receiver, do you need a pocket to carry it in?

      What other iPhone products should I be looking at?

      Thanks!

      --Di
      dirich92
    • Mike Detlefsen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2011
        I use a GNS 5870 Bluetooth GPSr with my iPod Touch (since it lacks built-in GPS). It's not as accurate as my eTrex, and is still something to carry about in a pocket.

        Be aware that using a Bluetooth product like a GPSr that transmits a lot of data will suck battery charge from the iPhone/iPod Touch on a major way. My GNS device battery charge will outlast the charge in the iPod Touch.

        It seems to get +/- 3 meter accuracy. Other than a rubbish power switch, it's been fine.

        I use it for bicycle navigation, not geocaching, but I may give it a try for that this week.

        Mike