GSAK question?

  • Bill Ellis
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2011
      Is there a way when I export a group of geocaches as gpx file to
      include the date-placed? I use these exported gpx files to load my
      GPSr with caches to find. The default mode leaves this little bit out
      and I would like to include it if I can. I see a line in the GPX
      creation box that is Titled "Cache Discription" with the Following
      info in the box {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} Is there a little code to
      add to that box that would give me the placed date? That Way I can
      see when a cache was placed When I am out in the field.

      The way I create these GPX files is by the Export tool in the File
      menu or Ctrl-G shortcut. Once I fave the filter showing the caches I
      want to include in the particular file.

      Thanks GSAK Experts

      --
      ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
      Bill
      a.k.a ZionZR2
      512-789-1469
      <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    • banda_geocacher
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2011
        %datepl

        Brent

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way when I export a group of geocaches as gpx file to
        > include the date-placed? I use these exported gpx files to load my
        > GPSr with caches to find. The default mode leaves this little bit out
        > and I would like to include it if I can. I see a line in the GPX
        > creation box that is Titled "Cache Discription" with the Following
        > info in the box {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} Is there a little code to
        > add to that box that would give me the placed date? That Way I can
        > see when a cache was placed When I am out in the field.
        >
        > The way I create these GPX files is by the Export tool in the File
        > menu or Ctrl-G shortcut. Once I fave the filter showing the caches I
        > want to include in the particular file.
        >

        > Thanks GSAK Experts
        >

        > --
        > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
        > Bill
        > a.k.a ZionZR2
        > 512-789-1469
        > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

      • Bill Ellis
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
          Well Rats!!  Tried that with my Garmin Oregon 450 it does not seem to work, the placed date does not show up.

          Thanks for the reply!

          --
          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469
          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

        • banda_geocacher
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
            You may be running out of room. Not sure how many characters the 450 shows, but you might have to give up one of the other special tags in order to get the date placed to show. GSAK has so many wonderful special tags, but unfortunately we are limited by the number of characters each gps will show. I still have an old Magellan that only shows 6 characters!!! (NOT my primary unit any more.)

            I would suggest removing (%Dif/%Ter), since that info should show up without using special tags. Let me know if that works for you.

            Brent

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@...> wrote:

            > Well Rats!! Tried that with my Garmin Oregon 450 it does not seem to work,
            > the placed date does not show up.
            >
            > Thanks for the reply!
            >
            > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > %datepl
            > >
            > > Brent
            > >

            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Is there a way when I export a group of geocaches as gpx file to
            > > > include the date-placed? I use these exported gpx files to load my
            > > > GPSr with caches to find. The default mode leaves this little bit out
            > > > and I would like to include it if I can. I see a line in the GPX
            > > > creation box that is Titled "Cache Discription" with the Following
            > > > info in the box {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} Is there a little code to
            > > > add to that box that would give me the placed date? That Way I can
            > > > see when a cache was placed When I am out in the field.
            > > >
            > > > The way I create these GPX files is by the Export tool in the File
            > > > menu or Ctrl-G shortcut. Once I fave the filter showing the caches I
            > > > want to include in the particular file.
            > > >

            > > > Thanks GSAK Experts
            > > >

            > > > --
            > > > Bill
            > > > a.k.a ZionZR2
            > > > 512-789-1469
            > > > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
            > > >

            > --
            > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
            > Bill
            > a.k.a ZionZR2
            > 512-789-1469
            > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

          • banda_geocacher
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
              Bill,

              I can't test this myself right now, but you might want to remove all the current tags {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} and replace them with just %datepl and see if you don't get all the info you want. You can cut and paste the current code and save it in notepad in case you want to return it later.

              I think this might work for you. Let me know.

              Brent

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

              > You may be running out of room. Not sure how many characters the 450 shows, but you might have to give up one of the other special tags in order to get the date placed to show. GSAK has so many wonderful special tags, but unfortunately we are limited by the number of characters each gps will show. I still have an old Magellan that only shows 6 characters!!! (NOT my primary unit any more.)
              >
              > I would suggest removing (%Dif/%Ter), since that info should show up without using special tags. Let me know if that works for you.
              >
              > Brent
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Well Rats!! Tried that with my Garmin Oregon 450 it does not seem to work,
              > > the placed date does not show up.
              > >
              > > Thanks for the reply!
              > >
              > > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > %datepl
              > > >
              > > > Brent
              > > >

              > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@>

              > > --
              > > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
              > > Bill
              > > a.k.a ZionZR2
              > > 512-789-1469
              > > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

            • banda_geocacher
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                On second thought, you need to keep %name with %datepl. (I need more coffee!) :)

              • Bill Ellis
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                  It seems no matter what I put or even do not put in that box nothing changes on whats displayed on the GPSr

                  --
                  ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                  Bill
                  a.k.a ZionZR2
                  512-789-1469
                  <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                • Bill Ellis
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                    Scratch that!! I got it to work!

                    --
                    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                    Bill
                    a.k.a ZionZR2
                    512-789-1469
                    <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                    --
                    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                    Bill
                    a.k.a ZionZR2
                    512-789-1469
                    <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                  • Bill Ellis
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                      This is what I have in the box.  I also checked the "check box" to the right that says "also apply to cache name"

                      Thanks for your help!!

                      --
                      Bill
                      a.k.a ZionZR2