Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] TPWD 2011 parks Challenge coins!

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
      Remember, the people behind the idea aren't *really* cachers -- they probably don't recognize the subtlety (which isn't subtle at all to insiders) between trackable and non-trackable (if you don't send it out, why whould it be trackable? a non-collector would think), and tracking numbers cost money.

      Sorry y'all are disappointed, though...

      So the question is: do you want to educate them, gently? or just enjoy your coin, and possibly apply a proxy number to the margins? The icon won't be right, of course....
      $19 for a trackable (even including shipping & handling) as was quoted here is pretty steep, too... again, proving to me they don't 'know the territory.' Have to be a heck of a coin or an adventure getting the challenge to justify that money for my own collection even with the general price creep in the industry.

      Barb = Just speculating aloud = Tygress

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
        I'm supprized that the coins are not trackable. The very first challenge coins were. I have not looked but what was on the promotion page? Did it indicate geocoin?

        Cheryl /CADrake

        > Remember, the people behind the idea aren't *really* cachers -- they probably don't recognize the subtlety (which isn't subtle at all to insiders) between trackable and non-trackable (if you don't send it out, why whould it be trackable? a non-collector would think), and tracking numbers cost money. Sorry y'all are disappointed, though... So the question is: do you want to educate them, gently? or just enjoy your coin, and possibly apply a proxy number to the margins? The icon won't be right, of course....$19 for a trackable (even including shipping & handling) as was quoted here is pretty steep, too... again, proving to me they don't 'know the territory.' Have to be a heck of a coin or an adventure getting the challenge to justify that money for my own collection even with the general price creep in the industry. Barb = Just speculating aloud = Tygress

      • John Baker

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
            They could... but you HAVE been paying attention to the funding crisis? Yeah, how many people are going to complete it (possibly one order MIGHT do) -- but do the decision makers even know what a pathtag is? There are other commemoratives they could also do more cheaply, if they know about them.

            Anyway, as one person said, consider yourself forunate they found the change for the commemoratives. But, again, that's speculation.

            Barb -If it brings people and keeps the parks open, woot!- Tygress

            Yes, I was very sad and a little miffed at there being no tracking number on mine either.
            Nice coin,...

            57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
            ConsumerLifestyles.org

            Penny Stock Jumping 3000%