Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] TPWD 2011 parks Challenge coins!

  • John Baker
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
      Really??? Wow. I'm grateful they were even willing to do something like this and willing to give out coins at their expense. However...<insert several comments that end with me probably not doing the challenge next year> I will have to reconsider next year's challenge </insert>

      John/thenkengrene

      On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Bill Ellis <sille777@...> wrote:

      My coin arrived today!!!  Pretty cool but was surprised and slightly bummed that it is not a trackable!

      --
      ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
      Bill
      a.k.a ZionZR2
      512-789-1469
      <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

    • Denise Vajdak
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
        I "discovered" that I can BUY my own trackable coin.  I'm proud of it nonetheless.  :)

        Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
        http://denisevajdak.us

        If you hide it, they will come!
        Geocaches, Letterboxes, Munzees, etc.

        On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

        Wow, Bill!
        I'm bummed that it is not a trackable too! Nothing to discover :(
        Esther/BGTx

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
          Yes, I was very sad and a little miffed at there being no tracking number on mine either.
          Nice coin, but....  no tracking number makes it a commemmorative item, not a geocoin
          (at least in my book).  If I had known that, I probably wouldn't have participated.  I feel
          like I was tricked...

          Barry Watson, MSgt, USAF (Retired)
          aka Doc Geo (Geocaching)
          aka Barry, Son of Watt (Renaissance)

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
            Remember, the people behind the idea aren't *really* cachers -- they probably don't recognize the subtlety (which isn't subtle at all to insiders) between trackable and non-trackable (if you don't send it out, why whould it be trackable? a non-collector would think), and tracking numbers cost money.

            Sorry y'all are disappointed, though...

            So the question is: do you want to educate them, gently? or just enjoy your coin, and possibly apply a proxy number to the margins? The icon won't be right, of course....
            $19 for a trackable (even including shipping & handling) as was quoted here is pretty steep, too... again, proving to me they don't 'know the territory.' Have to be a heck of a coin or an adventure getting the challenge to justify that money for my own collection even with the general price creep in the industry.

            Barb = Just speculating aloud = Tygress

            My coin arrived today!!!  Pretty cool but was surprised and slightly bummed that it is not a trackable!

            --
            ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
            Bill
            a.k.a ZionZR2
            512-789-1469
            <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

            57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
            ConsumerLifestyles.org
          • cheryl_ann_1967
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
              I'm supprized that the coins are not trackable. The very first challenge coins were. I have not looked but what was on the promotion page? Did it indicate geocoin?

              Cheryl /CADrake

              > Remember, the people behind the idea aren't *really* cachers -- they probably don't recognize the subtlety (which isn't subtle at all to insiders) between trackable and non-trackable (if you don't send it out, why whould it be trackable? a non-collector would think), and tracking numbers cost money. Sorry y'all are disappointed, though... So the question is: do you want to educate them, gently? or just enjoy your coin, and possibly apply a proxy number to the margins? The icon won't be right, of course....$19 for a trackable (even including shipping & handling) as was quoted here is pretty steep, too... again, proving to me they don't 'know the territory.' Have to be a heck of a coin or an adventure getting the challenge to justify that money for my own collection even with the general price creep in the industry. Barb = Just speculating aloud = Tygress

            • John Baker

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
                  They could... but you HAVE been paying attention to the funding crisis? Yeah, how many people are going to complete it (possibly one order MIGHT do) -- but do the decision makers even know what a pathtag is? There are other commemoratives they could also do more cheaply, if they know about them.

                  Anyway, as one person said, consider yourself forunate they found the change for the commemoratives. But, again, that's speculation.

                  Barb -If it brings people and keeps the parks open, woot!- Tygress

                  Yes, I was very sad and a little miffed at there being no tracking number on mine either.
                  Nice coin,...

                  57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
                  ConsumerLifestyles.org

                  Penny Stock Jumping 3000%