Re: Garmin Map Options

  • banda_geocacher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2011
      Matt,

      Unfortunately gps maps with trails on them are notoriously hard to come by, especially in Texas. As a hiking and trail map aficionado, I have spent many hours searching for them, with little success.

      One source I have found with some trails is http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
      It lets you download routable OpenStreetMap maps to your Garmin gps, and I know it includes the trails at Walnut Creek. Not sure how many it has in Williamson County though.

      Non of Garmin's maps show very many trails in Texas. And the Birdseye TOPO map IS raster, but it is scanned USGS topo maps. You can click on the link on their web page to see some examples. These maps are nice for seeing contours and creeks, but most of them are quite old, so the roads are not up to date. And they show very few trails. It does NOT include aerial maps.

      A few years ago I was able to obtain some trail data from the City of Austin and from some local cachers and mountain bikers, and created my own transparent map that shows all park boundaries in Travis County (city, county, and state) as well as many of the trails in the county. It doesn't have much data for Williamson County, but is very comprehensive for Travis County. If you can put your GPSMAP 62 into mass storage mode like I think you can, and see where your IMG files are, it should be fairly straightforward to load. It can also be added to Mapsource, but takes a bit more effort.

      If you are interested, contact me through Yahoo email and we can discuss it.

      Brent (BANDA)