OpenCaching - Do we care yet?

  • Matt Wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011

      So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to “check out” all the new things they are doing.  It’s very, very mild, but I’m still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it’s perfectly within their right to do so).

      Thoughts, opinions?  Anyone *actively* OpenCaching?  Do you care?  Should I care?  ;-)

      Matt / Kemis

    • shawnolsen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
        I totally agree! Unless I had found all the caches around Central Texas I will not be interested....(so I am not interested).
        Shawn/s6sputnik

        In a message dated 7/5/2011 4:19:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time, matt@... writes:

        So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to “check out” all the new things they are doing.  It’s very, very mild, but I’m still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it’s perfectly within their right to do so).

        Thoughts, opinions?  Anyone *actively* OpenCaching?  Do you care?  Should I care?  ;-)

        Matt / Kemis

      • Denise Vajdak
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2011
          My opinion...for what it's worth...

          I don't like the opencaching.COM site.  I'm not sure how they get all the caches that are listed there.  There is a cache listed there that belongs to a friend of mine.  She did NOT create an account there, let alone create a cache on it.  I sent a note to the owner of the cache listed on their site and of course, there is no response. It's like they are somehow scraping info from geocaching.com and creating their own listings just to make it look like there are lots of caches there.  Very questionable business practice in my mind.  (I created an account just to keep them from somehow publishing my caches).  Also, the Garmin .COM site is NOT moderated.

          opencaching.US on the other hand is a completely other site/network.  Nothing is posted there unless a user posts it themselves.  They ARE moderated.  They allow virtuals, webcams and other types that geocaching.com won't let us have.  OCUS is associated with the Opencaching network, the .COM site is its own thing.  OCUS is not even a year old, so they are a little slow in getting going, but there are caches there that you won't find anywhere else.  OCUS is free...there is no Premium Membership required to get notifications of new caches and/or create queries.

          I think a little competition is good.  If geocaching.com won't give you everything you want, you can find it at some of the other sites.  They are not the only game in town.

          Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
          http://denisevajdak.us

          If you hide it, they will come!

          On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM, <shawnolsen@...> wrote:

          I totally agree! Unless I had found all the caches around Central Texas I will not be interested....(so I am not interested).
          Shawn/s6sputnik

          In a message dated 7/5/2011 4:19:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time, matt@... writes:

          So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to “check out” all the new things they are doing.  It’s very, very mild, but I’m still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it’s perfectly within their right to do so).

          Thoughts, opinions?  Anyone *actively* OpenCaching?  Do you care?  Should I care?  ;-)

          Matt / Kemis

        • Matthew A
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
            Geocaching.com site has been established and proven to be very good. Yes, all sites and programs need updates and enhancements to keep up with technology and user demands. The OpenCaching site has many flaws and the biggest problem is there are no rules to place a cache hide. What will happen when they place caches on or very near existing geocache hides?

            What about all the geocachers who have several thousand finds? They would start over as a beginner on OpenCaching? Why can’t OpenCaching work with Geocaching.com to establish the best of both worlds and enhancements?

            Matthew Allen mda_taz

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Matt Wilson <matt@...> wrote:

            > So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to "check out" all the new things they are doing. It's very, very mild, but I'm still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it's perfectly within their right to do so).
            >
            > Thoughts, opinions? Anyone *actively* OpenCaching? Do you care? Should I care? ;-)
            >
            > Matt / Kemis

          • Denise Vajdak
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 6, 2011
              Since there are no reviewers in oc .COM, I guess there are no rules and no one to check.  Unfortunately, since Garmin's site came online, you can't just say "OpenCaching" since it's confusing as to which site you are referring.  That's another thing that bugged me about the .COM site.  The OC network was already in place. Why on earth come out with another site, but give it the same name?

              oc .US has rules. http://wiki.opencaching.us/index.php/Terms_of_Use and their reviewers DO check the proximity of a submitted cache to caches on other sites, including GC .com before they will publish it.

              If someone is on geocaching.com and they start another account on opencaching.us, the Garmin site, terracaching.com or any other listing site, they will be starting from scratch on that site only.  You can run GSAK to get your combined finds from each of the sites.  You don't have to switch from one to another so it's not like you lose your finds that you already have on GC. You can be on all sites, some or one.  It's nice to have options.  Some caches are posted on more than one site.  It's up to the user to post FINDS on both sites or do a FIND on one and a NOTE on the other(s).  It all depends on how you want to play the game.  There are plenty of site-specific caches, too, so if you limit yourself to one site, you miss out on some.

              If geocaching.com would give us the things we have been asking for for MONTHS (Virtuals, etc), then there would've been no need for other sites to start up.

              On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Matthew A <matthewa@...> wrote:

              Geocaching.com site has been established and proven to be very good. Yes, all sites and programs need updates and enhancements to keep up with technology and user demands. The OpenCaching site has many flaws and the biggest problem is there are no rules to place a cache hide. What will happen when they place caches on or very near existing geocache hides?

              What about all the geocachers who have several thousand finds? They would start over as a beginner on OpenCaching? Why can’t OpenCaching work with Geocaching.com to establish the best of both worlds and enhancements?

              Matthew Allen mda_taz

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Matt Wilson <matt@...> wrote:

              > So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to "check out" all the new things they are doing. It's very, very mild, but I'm still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it's perfectly within their right to do so).
              >
              > Thoughts, opinions? Anyone *actively* OpenCaching? Do you care? Should I care? ;-)
              >
              > Matt / Kemis

            • dn_shults
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 7, 2011
                It's perhaps weak willed of me to do so, but I uploaded my caches to Opencaching when it started because
                A) it was easy
                B) I worried about someone else putting a cache next to mine and causing uneeded confusion and grief for myself
                and
                C) curiousity

                Honestly I think geocaching ALREADY runs the risk of becoming socially irresponsible in our current days of paranoia. Adding more un-reviewed suspicious packages to the world seems like a really dumb idea for the longevity of the game.

                I like the idea of a competitor IN THEORY, and the painless way they have implemented uploading your GC finds and hides is kind of genius and a step in the right direction, but unless some cooperation took place in sharing a database (this won't happen) between the competitors and unless there is more attention paid to where people are leaving these things...
                I see it as a bad thing.

                Since it hasn't taken off... perhaps I should just remove my caches to discourage anyone from joining it instead?

                D+N.s
                Donald

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

                > Geocaching.com site has been established and proven to be very good. Yes, all sites and programs need updates and enhancements to keep up with technology and user demands. The OpenCaching site has many flaws and the biggest problem is there are no rules to place a cache hide. What will happen when they place caches on or very near existing geocache hides?
                >
                > What about all the geocachers who have several thousand finds? They would start over as a beginner on OpenCaching? Why can’t OpenCaching work with Geocaching.com to establish the best of both worlds and enhancements?
                >

                > Matthew Allen mda_taz
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Matt Wilson <matt@> wrote:
                > >
                > > So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to "check out" all the new things they are doing. It's very, very mild, but I'm still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it's perfectly within their right to do so).
                > >
                > > Thoughts, opinions? Anyone *actively* OpenCaching? Do you care? Should I care? ;-)
                > >
                > > Matt / Kemis

              • Jay Bingham
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 8, 2011

                  Matt,

                  I would characterize myself as greater than 99.6% pure geocaching.com, because although I have found and logged one cache that is unique to opencaching.com and I have found another cache that was listed on geocaching.com but I found it after Prime Reviewer it so I could not log it. That makes my total cache count found count two higher than what geocaching.com reports.

                  Given that I have found a cache that is only listed on opencaching.com I guess that I would have to say that I don’t see a problem with them creating competition. I think that some of the improvements that have been made at geocaching.com can be attributed at least in part to the competition. Like the resurrection of virtuals that is about to happen and the improvement (some might just say change) in the maps.

                  I am not certain that opencaching.com will become anywhere as big as geocaching.com as it is still quite crude compared to geocaching.com, but if its presence is a burr under the saddle that encourages geocaching.com to improve then I have nothing against it existing.

                  My bottom line is that I don’t plan to go out of my way to find their unique caches because it takes extra effort to do them, there are not that many of them and they do not have an app that runs on my mobile phone. And I kind of like having all my numbers all recorded in one place (I know, it is not about the numbers). If I find caches that are on both I have no problem logging them on both.

                  +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                  |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                  So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to “check out” all the new things they are doing.  It’s very, very mild, but I’m still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it’s perfectly within their right to do so).

                  Thoughts, opinions?  Anyone *actively* OpenCaching?  Do you care?  Should I care?  ;-)

                  Matt / Kemis

                • banda_geocacher
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 9, 2011
                    Jay,

                    I don't know what type of phone you have, but they do have apps for the Iphone and android phones:
                    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=98411
                    Brent

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                    > Matt,
                    >
                    > I would characterize myself as greater than 99.6% pure geocaching.com,
                    > because although I have found and logged one cache that is unique to
                    > opencaching.com and I have found another cache that was listed on
                    > geocaching.com but I found it after Prime Reviewer it so I could not log it.
                    > That makes my total cache count found count two higher than what
                    > geocaching.com reports.
                    >
                    > Given that I have found a cache that is only listed on opencaching.com I
                    > guess that I would have to say that I don't see a problem with them creating
                    > competition. I think that some of the improvements that have been made at
                    > geocaching.com can be attributed at least in part to the competition. Like
                    > the resurrection of virtuals that is about to happen and the improvement
                    > (some might just say change) in the maps.
                    >
                    > I am not certain that opencaching.com will become anywhere as big as
                    > geocaching.com as it is still quite crude compared to geocaching.com, but if
                    > its presence is a burr under the saddle that encourages geocaching.com to
                    > improve then I have nothing against it existing.
                    >
                    > My bottom line is that I don't plan to go out of my way to find their unique
                    > caches because it takes extra effort to do them, there are not that many of
                    > them and they do not have an app that runs on my mobile phone. And I kind of
                    > like having all my numbers all recorded in one place (I know, it is not
                    > about the numbers). If I find caches that are on both I have no problem
                    > logging them on both.
                    >

                    > +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                    > |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                    > +-+ "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Matt Wilson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 9, 2011

                      Excellent feedback, everyone!  I agree with the general sentiment that competition is good and that the competition probably isn’t enough for it to matter for anytime in the very near future.

                      Thank you to all who contributed to this thread!

                      Matt / Kemis

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 9, 2011

                        I had absolutely no idea about OpenCaching.us.  Just another reason I’m a bit annoyed with Garmin now, but still glad to know about the site!

                        Thanks, Denise!

                        Matt / Kemis

                        Since there are no reviewers in oc .COM, I guess there are no rules and no one to check.  Unfortunately, since Garmin's site came online, you can't just say "OpenCaching" since it's confusing as to which site you are referring.  That's another thing that bugged me about the .COM site.  The OC network was already in place. Why on earth come out with another site, but give it the same name?

                        oc .US has rules. http://wiki.opencaching.us/index.php/Terms_of_Use and their reviewers DO check the proximity of a submitted cache to caches on other sites, including GC .com before they will publish it.

                        If someone is on geocaching.com and they start another account on opencaching.us, the Garmin site, terracaching.com or any other listing site, they will be starting from scratch on that site only.  You can run GSAK to get your combined finds from each of the sites.  You don't have to switch from one to another so it's not like you lose your finds that you already have on GC. You can be on all sites, some or one.  It's nice to have options.  Some caches are posted on more than one site.  It's up to the user to post FINDS on both sites or do a FIND on one and a NOTE on the other(s).  It all depends on how you want to play the game.  There are plenty of site-specific caches, too, so if you limit yourself to one site, you miss out on some.

                        If geocaching.com would give us the things we have been asking for for MONTHS (Virtuals, etc), then there would've been no need for other sites to start up.

                        Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
                        http://denisevajdak.us

                        If you hide it, they will come!

                        On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Matthew A <matthewa@...> wrote:

                        Geocaching.com site has been established and proven to be very good. Yes, all sites and programs need updates and enhancements to keep up with technology and user demands. The OpenCaching site has many flaws and the biggest problem is there are no rules to place a cache hide. What will happen when they place caches on or very near existing geocache hides?

                        What about all the geocachers who have several thousand finds? They would start over as a beginner on OpenCaching? Why can’t OpenCaching work with Geocaching.com to establish the best of both worlds and enhancements?

                        Matthew Allen mda_taz

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Matt Wilson <matt@...> wrote:

                        > So OpenCaching.com just sent out an e-blast, but I continue to find myself not even caring enough to click a link to "check out" all the new things they are doing. It's very, very mild, but I'm still a bit upset they are trying to create competition in this arena (despite knowing it's perfectly within their right to do so).
                        >
                        > Thoughts, opinions? Anyone *actively* OpenCaching? Do you care? Should I care? ;-)
                        >
                        > Matt / Kemis

                      • Jay Bingham
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 9, 2011

                          Brent,

                          Thanks for the info, unfortunately my phone runs Windows Mobile 6.1 so it is not of any help to me, perhaps other readers of this list will be interested.

                          I am not sure why there seems to be a dearth of apps for Windows Mobile whether it is a small user base or Microsoft policies or both, because even geocaching.com does not have an app for them, they recommend a third party app requires a monthly fee to use with my carrier. Since Microsoft has now moved on to Window Mobile 7, I am not holding my breath for a windows mobile 6.1 application from anyone for any other caching site especially a new one that was introduced after the switch to Window Mobile 7. I have found two free Windows Mobile 6.1 compatible apps that were designed to use with geocaching.com which are excellent except right after the web site gets changed.

                          +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                          |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                          I don't know what type of phone you have, but they do have apps for the Iphone and android phones:
                          https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=98411
                          Brent

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                          > Matt,
                          >
                          > I would characterize myself as greater than 99.6% pure geocaching.com,
                          > because although I have found and logged one cache that is unique to
                          > opencaching.com and I have found another cache that was listed on
                          > geocaching.com but I found it after Prime Reviewer it so I could not log
                          it.
                          > That makes my total cache count found count two higher than what
                          > geocaching.com reports.
                          >
                          > Given that I have found a cache that is only listed on opencaching.com I
                          > guess that I would have to say that I don't see a problem with them
                          creating
                          > competition. I think that some of the improvements that have been made at
                          > geocaching.com can be attributed at least in part to the competition. Like
                          > the resurrection of virtuals that is about to happen and the improvement
                          > (some might just say change) in the maps.
                          >
                          > I am not certain that opencaching.com will become anywhere as big as
                          > geocaching.com as it is still quite crude compared to geocaching.com, but
                          if
                          > its presence is a burr under the saddle that encourages geocaching.com to
                          > improve then I have nothing against it existing.
                          >
                          > My bottom line is that I don't plan to go out of my way to find their
                          unique
                          > caches because it takes extra effort to do them, there are not that many
                          of
                          > them and they do not have an app that runs on my mobile phone. And I kind
                          of
                          > like having all my numbers all recorded in one place (I know, it is not
                          > about the numbers). If I find caches that are on both I have no problem
                          > logging them on both.
                          >

                          > +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                          > |+| Georgetown ,
                          w:st="on">TX USA
                          > +-+ "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Philip C. Mason
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 16, 2011
                            What was the name of the other game that involves searching for the bar codes? I have an iPhone4 now and want to look into searching some of those.

                            Sent from my iPhone
                          • Matt Wilson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 16, 2011

                              Munzee - http://munzee.com

                              Have fun!

                              Matt / Kemis

                              What was the name of the other game that involves searching for the bar codes? I have an iPhone4 now and want to look into searching some of those.

                              Sent from my iPhone

                            • Danielle Skelton
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 16, 2011
                                Munzee. I believe