Re: Landmarks: #200, Ape Cache & Groundspeak HQ

  • dn_shults
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
      We always feel like we just don't know enough about geology.
      We totally could have done the Snoqualmie Falls one, but the trail was closed to tone necessary. We decided to DNF it rather than use a loophole like some others did. I think they're finds are perfectly valid, but taking a picture next to the picture of something seemed like a lame way to get our first Earthcache (would have been #200 too)

      We've either had bad luck with others, or (Mt. Bonnell) just felt completely stupid when we read it. There is one near our place that seems doable, and the enchanted rock one seems fun, so I'm sure we'll get around to it soon.

      Donald & Niki
      D+N.S
    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011

        The first cache that I claimed a find on is an earth cache that I did with my son in Norway , so I am a little partial to earthcaches (23 of 499 are earthcaches). I enjoy learning about the geology of a site, so I have to agree with you that Mt. Bonnell is a little lame. That said, I will have to say that if you have never been to the site it is worth doing just for the fine view, and the fact that there is a virtual and a regular cache nearby, so you can claim 3 smiles in one stop.

        Mt. Bonnell is not the only earthcache in the area, here are three of my favorites (not in any particular order):

                    CTU - GIVE THAT GLEN A ROSE! (GC1R2D8)

                    CTU - EDWARDS OVERHANG (GC26DJ4)

                    Track Meet? (GC1RZM5)

        You can get a list of 35 earthcaches within 75 miles of the state capitol (GC142B).

        +-+ Jay - BingOGT

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
          BTW, I believe that Mt. Bonnell has been rewritten not to long ago.  The owner asked Barb aka Tygress (and myself, since we kind of come as a package deal) for help doing the re-write.  I think it is a bit more informative now.

          Best,

          Russ aka Waterweasel

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011

            Russ,

            Thanks for pointing out that the description has been updated. I logged it last November just about a week before it was redone, from what I remember of the old description the new one is a vast improvement. Although the logging requirements are the same as they were before, the improved description removes some of the lameness and makes it easier to sus out what the CO is asking for. And even though the educational quality of the logging requirements leaves something to be desired, it is still a magnificent view.

            +-+ Jay - BingOGT

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
              Cool! We'll have to give it another spin next time we're out there.
              To be clear, we didn't think it was "completely stupid"
              We just FELT completely stupid when we read it and didn't know what sort of answer to give.
              We don't have enough knowledge about Earthcaches to say that one is good or bad. My punctuation, DID sotra' make it look like I was saying the cache was stupid and that wasn't my intent. I wouldn't know.

              Donald
              D+N.S

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2011
                Earth caches are easy... just follow the instructions.  But if you want a fun one go to Track Meet? by Waterweasel.

                Congratulations... I was actually shown pictures of the Gum Wall by noncaching relatives in Spokane this weekend. A cache there? Go figure.

                BarbJ/Tygress