Re: Landmarks: #200, Ape Cache & Groundspeak HQ

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
      Plenty of events this weekend. I'm having two this Saturday. Come on down and scratch that goal off your bucket list!

      Tom - EWB

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@...> wrote:

      > Hi All!
      > We just wanted to brag a little about the success we had on our recent vacation to Seattle. The trip wasn't a geocaching specific one, but we did manage to get a lot of caching done including going to the HQ (which was more awesome than we'd assumed it would be) and getting our 200th cache... the Mission 9 Ape cache.
      >
      > We also managed to find the pesky Gum Wall cache only (took us two tries!) and we got to visit Snoqualmie Falls (which as Twin Peaks fans meant a little more than should be possible)
      >
      > Everyone involved in the trip had a good time and we managed to not annoy the non-cachers in the group by only choosing caches near interesting stuff.
      >
      > Anyway, we wanted to brag a little, but we have noone to brag TO, so we camee here! :)
      >
      > Our new short term goals are: Attend our first event, actually succeed in an Earthcache, get a 5/5 and get an FTF at some point.
      > New long term goal: Original Stash plaque for #500
      >
      > Sorry,
      > Donald & Niki
      > (AKA D+N.S)

    • electric_water_boy
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
        The Gum Wall's real name is Double Bubble Toil & Trouble, GC24H25. It's the grossest and coolest cache. If you don't like looking for a fake rock in a rockpile..... Check out the pictures.

        Tom - EWB

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

        > That sounds like lots of fun. I'd love a trip up there this year myself!
        > What is the Gum Wall? Congrats on your achievements!
        > John/thenkengrene
        >
        > On Jun 2, 2011 10:53 AM, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@...> wrote:
        >

        > Hi All!
        > We just wanted to brag a little about the success we had on our recent
        > vacation to Seattle. The trip wasn't a geocaching specific one, but we did
        > manage to get a lot of caching done including going to the HQ (which was
        > more awesome than we'd assumed it would be) and getting our 200th cache...
        > the Mission 9 Ape cache.
        >
        > We also managed to find the pesky Gum Wall cache only (took us two tries!)
        > and we got to visit Snoqualmie Falls (which as Twin Peaks fans meant a
        > little more than should be possible)
        >
        > Everyone involved in the trip had a good time and we managed to not annoy
        > the non-cachers in the group by only choosing caches near interesting stuff.
        >
        > Anyway, we wanted to brag a little, but we have noone to brag TO, so we
        > camee here! :)
        >
        > Our new short term goals are: Attend our first event, actually succeed in an
        > Earthcache, get a 5/5 and get an FTF at some point.
        > New long term goal: Original Stash plaque for #500
        >
        > Sorry,
        > Donald & Niki
        > (AKA D+N.S)

      • Esther Lopez
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
          Congrats!!!! What cool milestones and accomplishments. I am so jealous! I have been caching for 5+ years, have 2500+ finds, and 450+ hides and have yet to reach MECCA!!!!!!
          Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear. At least I can cross off "mega event" at GWS this summer!
          Sorry, I got off target! It was just your awesomeness that had me waxing philosophical!

          Esther/BGTx

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
            I actually just talked a guy into covering me at work a while on Saturday just so that we can do some events. We're pretty shy at first, and not too excited about events in general, but the trip to HQ really helped with that. Also, we'd like to show some solidarity for the poor injured cacher Zachary we've read about.

            So, Saturday it is! :)
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

            > Plenty of events this weekend. I'm having two this Saturday. Come on down and scratch that goal off your bucket list!
            >
            > Tom - EWB
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi All!
            > > We just wanted to brag a little about the success we had on our recent vacation to Seattle. The trip wasn't a geocaching specific one, but we did manage to get a lot of caching done including going to the HQ (which was more awesome than we'd assumed it would be) and getting our 200th cache... the Mission 9 Ape cache.
            > >
            > > We also managed to find the pesky Gum Wall cache only (took us two tries!) and we got to visit Snoqualmie Falls (which as Twin Peaks fans meant a little more than should be possible)
            > >
            > > Everyone involved in the trip had a good time and we managed to not annoy the non-cachers in the group by only choosing caches near interesting stuff.
            > >
            > > Anyway, we wanted to brag a little, but we have noone to brag TO, so we camee here! :)
            > >
            > > Our new short term goals are: Attend our first event, actually succeed in an Earthcache, get a 5/5 and get an FTF at some point.
            > > New long term goal: Original Stash plaque for #500
            > >
            > > Sorry,
            > > Donald & Niki
            > > (AKA D+N.S)

          • dn_shults
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
              Yeah, the Seattle Gum Wall is a sort of gross but awesome tourist attraction. It's basically an alley where one half is covered in chewing gum. As mentioned, there is a very clever cache hidden on it.
              We don't chew gum, but we added to the art :)
              MUST see if you are ever in the area.

              Donald & Niki
              (D+N.S)
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, John Baker <thenkengrene@...> wrote:

              > That sounds like lots of fun. I'd love a trip up there this year myself!
              > What is the Gum Wall? Congrats on your achievements!
              > John/thenkengrene
              >
              > On Jun 2, 2011 10:53 AM, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@...> wrote:
              >

              > Hi All!
              > We just wanted to brag a little about the success we had on our recent
              > vacation to Seattle. The trip wasn't a geocaching specific one, but we did
              > manage to get a lot of caching done including going to the HQ (which was
              > more awesome than we'd assumed it would be) and getting our 200th cache...
              > the Mission 9 Ape cache.
              >
              > We also managed to find the pesky Gum Wall cache only (took us two tries!)
              > and we got to visit Snoqualmie Falls (which as Twin Peaks fans meant a
              > little more than should be possible)
              >
              > Everyone involved in the trip had a good time and we managed to not annoy
              > the non-cachers in the group by only choosing caches near interesting stuff.
              >
              > Anyway, we wanted to brag a little, but we have noone to brag TO, so we
              > camee here! :)
              >
              > Our new short term goals are: Attend our first event, actually succeed in an
              > Earthcache, get a 5/5 and get an FTF at some point.
              > New long term goal: Original Stash plaque for #500
              >
              > Sorry,
              > Donald & Niki
              > (AKA D+N.S)

            • dn_shults
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
                If it makes you feel any better, GWS will definitely be more exciting than the APE cache :/
                Is GWS always in the same place or does it move around?

                Donald & Niki
                D+N.S

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

                > Congrats!!!! What cool milestones and accomplishments. I am so jealous! I have been caching for 5+ years, have 2500+ finds, and 450+ hides and have yet to reach MECCA!!!!!!
                > Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear. At least I can cross off "mega event" at GWS this summer!
                > Sorry, I got off target! It was just your awesomeness that had me waxing philosophical!
                >
                > Esther/BGTx

              • dn_shults
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
                  We always feel like we just don't know enough about geology.
                  We totally could have done the Snoqualmie Falls one, but the trail was closed to tone necessary. We decided to DNF it rather than use a loophole like some others did. I think they're finds are perfectly valid, but taking a picture next to the picture of something seemed like a lame way to get our first Earthcache (would have been #200 too)

                  We've either had bad luck with others, or (Mt. Bonnell) just felt completely stupid when we read it. There is one near our place that seems doable, and the enchanted rock one seems fun, so I'm sure we'll get around to it soon.

                  Donald & Niki
                  D+N.S
                • Jay Bingham
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011

                    The first cache that I claimed a find on is an earth cache that I did with my son in Norway , so I am a little partial to earthcaches (23 of 499 are earthcaches). I enjoy learning about the geology of a site, so I have to agree with you that Mt. Bonnell is a little lame. That said, I will have to say that if you have never been to the site it is worth doing just for the fine view, and the fact that there is a virtual and a regular cache nearby, so you can claim 3 smiles in one stop.

                    Mt. Bonnell is not the only earthcache in the area, here are three of my favorites (not in any particular order):

                                CTU - GIVE THAT GLEN A ROSE! (GC1R2D8)

                                CTU - EDWARDS OVERHANG (GC26DJ4)

                                Track Meet? (GC1RZM5)

                    You can get a list of 35 earthcaches within 75 miles of the state capitol (GC142B).

                    +-+ Jay - BingOGT

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
                      BTW, I believe that Mt. Bonnell has been rewritten not to long ago.  The owner asked Barb aka Tygress (and myself, since we kind of come as a package deal) for help doing the re-write.  I think it is a bit more informative now.

                      Best,

                      Russ aka Waterweasel

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011

                        Russ,

                        Thanks for pointing out that the description has been updated. I logged it last November just about a week before it was redone, from what I remember of the old description the new one is a vast improvement. Although the logging requirements are the same as they were before, the improved description removes some of the lameness and makes it easier to sus out what the CO is asking for. And even though the educational quality of the logging requirements leaves something to be desired, it is still a magnificent view.

                        +-+ Jay - BingOGT

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                          Cool! We'll have to give it another spin next time we're out there.
                          To be clear, we didn't think it was "completely stupid"
                          We just FELT completely stupid when we read it and didn't know what sort of answer to give.
                          We don't have enough knowledge about Earthcaches to say that one is good or bad. My punctuation, DID sotra' make it look like I was saying the cache was stupid and that wasn't my intent. I wouldn't know.

                          Donald
                          D+N.S

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 8, 2011
                            Earth caches are easy... just follow the instructions.  But if you want a fun one go to Track Meet? by Waterweasel.

                            Congratulations... I was actually shown pictures of the Gum Wall by noncaching relatives in Spokane this weekend. A cache there? Go figure.

                            BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to: