RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] We might not be caching for a while....

  • Wayne Lind
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 19 1:32 PM
      Here is an excerpt from a article on this subject from MSNBC:

          Richard Langley, a University of New Brunswick geodesy professor who has studied GPS for 20 years, told MSNBC.com that civilian users probably have nothing to worry about.
             Back in 2000, the U.S. military said it wouldn’t go back to the bad old days of “intentional degradation” of GPS signals. Instead, it would use more targeted tactics, including selective signal-jamming in the theater of military operations.
             “People outside the theater can expect to use GPS as they have. ... Of course, national security overrides any statement that may have been made,” Langley said.
             In a detailed set of "frequently asked questions,” Langley explains why the U.S. military still has the upper hand in GPS technology. Here are some of the strategies that could come into play during the conflict in Iraq:

      So unless you are planning on planting a cache in the Middle East, you are probably ok.

      The entire article can be seen at