Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Phew! I don't think it was a geocache (none published there anyway)

  • Holly Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2011
      In 2006 when I was a total newbie, I placed a cache near our school campus, but outside the fence near a public sidewalk. I had the school administrators full knowledge and consent when I did this, and I used it to teach blind students to use the accessible GPS units that had recently become available that year.  It is still there and gets regular visits.  I originally used an ammo can, which I added leaves spray painted with a stencil and the word "geocache" written on both sides.  I thought it looked friendly.  At least once the police were called out.  After one of many incidents, some of which I probably never found out about, I switched the cache container to a large lock'n'lock bowl that has about the same volume.  In retrospect, I am amazed that container didn't cause more problems, I was pretty naive to use it.  I don't think I've ever seen an ammo can in an urban area.  I've seen plenty of guidelines for cache containers and placement since then and realize I broke a lot of suggested standards.

      Holly/Earthenborn

      On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Greg Jewett <greg@...> wrote:

      Whoa!

      I didn't even think about that being a problem for the muggles out there!   In all the urban cache hiding and geocachers scurrying around to find these items, that gives even further need to be stealthy when looking in public places.

      I really hope that this really fun sport never gets snarled into any negative like this!

      So be careful out there when you are seeking and mindful when hiding - as not to bring attention and make anything look "suspicious".

      ..Greg

      Greg Jewett
      Solutions Consultant / Developer
      (512) 308-6214       greg (at) ejewett.com

      __