Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Phew! I don't think it was a geocache (n one published there anyway)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2011
      Actually, Greg, "acting stealthy" is exactly what draws negative attention.
      If someone is watching you, explain what you're doing. Show them the cache and the contents.... most roll their eyes and think about weirdos and their hobbies, others convert to geocaching, or at least think it sounds neat. But they learn, FROM YOUR OPENNESS, that it's nothing to fear.

      Sure, watch where you place caches -- geocaching.com has some pretty good FAQs, born of bad experience -- and if on private property, get permission. Doesn't prevent employees from going all paranoid -- but more info is better.  You don't see many containers shaped like pipe-bombs any more, either. It DOES matter how it looks to non-cachers.

      And cops have been known to 'sign' the logs of caches they've exploded. [Well, THEY have to be cautious, too.]  Most police we've talked to in the course of caching have been, "Ok, carry on, Citizen. Be safe." Others are intrigued -- but we're careful not to give them anything to feel suspicious about. Direct honesty.

      While you don't want to shout: Look at Me! [Kids love to nick caches with contents or cool containers.] You don't want to be sneaking around as if there's something to hide.
      If you act matter of fact, actually, it's amazing how most folks just ignore you.  But sneak? And suddenly all sorts of nervous nellies start carbonating.

      That's my nine yards.

      BarbJ/Tygress