TX Challenge

  • gtbevo2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
      I have reserved a screened shelter for Friday-Sunday nights and so
      far it's just me and Big Mo. Candy, you and Wayne are welcome to
      join us. I can probably back up the reservation to include Thursday
      night too - let me know if I should do that. My kids and DH are
      iffy for the weekend (I'm thinking probably no). I cannot go until
      Friday after school so can't help with the hiding but I am ready to
      hunt!!!

      A planning meeting (or more) sounds like a great idea and I will try
      to make it.

      Looking forward to it!!
    • Michele Pain
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2004
        OK Central Texas Geo-nerds-

        Anyone who's going to the Challenge in March and can help out a bit and
        be in the "Know" at the same time, please answer the brief - we're
        talking almost bikini small - questionairre I sent.

        We're trying to plan our strategy. We're trying to find folks who want
        to HELP plan our strategy. heck-were looking for someone who can spell
        strategie!.

        Here's the questionaire. Heck-I can't spell that either!

        Thanks
        Shelly

        Please copy and paste the form below into a new email - DO NOT HIT
        REPLY - put my address into the TO BOX: mpain@...

        Geo Handle:
        Email
        home phone
        cell phone

        Please LIST IN YOUR EMAIL ANY OF THE ITEMS BELOW YOU CAN HELP WITH-

        I CAN/HAVE/WILL:

        Canoe/Kayak
        Bike
        Radio
        Hide on Friday
        Organizing Committee

        ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
      • joanwhistler
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
          Sorry to do it, but I have to cancel out on the Texas Challenge. I'm
          going out of town both the weekend before it and the weekend after
          it, and 3 in a row is just too much for me to be away right now! But
          the rest of y'all go get 'em, Kick Hineys in the Pineys, and do
          Central Texas proud! I know you will!

          Joan "UGoGirl"
        • Tim Gahagan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
            (Do not care of GC approves, but you are all wecome to enjoy this)
            Tim
            aka Velvet Hammer

            N 30° 46.316 W 098° 33.039

            This is a simple virtual cache to see nesting Bald Eagles in the Texas Hill Country.

            The Eagles are approximately 100 yards off the highway, and can be viewed with the naked eye, most cameras with some type of telephoto zoom, and binoculars.

            There is not a defined parking area, but one can park off the side of the road with ease.

            A fence separates the property and the Eagles from the road. This is private property, and trespassers will be prosecuted, so you have been warned not to cross the fence (and in this part of Texas, shots are usually not fired as warnings).

            This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see Bald Eagles this close. The Eagles' babies (most think 2) have hatched and there is no estimate of how long they will stay in this nest.

            Hint Below (do not scroll if you do not want the hint)

            Texas State Hwy 29, west of FM 1431, 3-4 miles from intersection. Between Llano and Burnet Texas.

            Look in the big tree to the south. The nest is HUGE.
          • yelsreknat2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2004
              I just got back from this area. We could see one adult in the nest
              and possibly one flapping around in the nest. Then another adult flew
              in and hung around for awhile. Beautiful birds to be sure. I shot 2
              rolls of 800asa film through a 600mm telephoto lens and am hoping I
              got some decent shots. I'll post them as they are turned into
              electronic form.

              It's a relatively quick drive out there and that alone was worth
              getting out of the house for.

              Take care-
              TankandEmiloo

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Tim Gahagan <tim@g...>