Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Some comments on the comments

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
      Hey, Tom...
      While I agree coins tend to go through the same venues (except WE have our own LOCAL guy ... Chris Rake), I would argue that things like shirts SHOULD be done locally. The idea is to share the love regionally. In my small business supporting point of view.
      That's why I would resist getting locked into a single vendor.

      Part of moving the event around is to share the work -- and the glory, as it were.
      But then, while I'm not a full on "localvore" -- I AM big on supporting local businesses (it's great for good will!)
      Also, sometimes some wonderfully creative results can happen -- like the embroidered shirts for the 10th Anniversary. [I'd love it if caps were added to the mix -- but that's me.]

      That's my sense on THAT matter.

      As for permanent caches -- well, sometimes the site of the challenge does not lend itself to permanent installations. They're game for us crawling all over for a few hours, but permanently? Maybe not so much. So that, too, needs to be flexible and site specific. Many of our hides for the competitive challenge in '09 pretty much were one shot -- an orienteering punch on a string. But then, our purpose was a bit different (though we hid them like we were placing caches -- except I think we weren't as worried about saturation, more about playability).

      It's a wonderful thing to have an 'up level' resource -- but let's not lock ourselves into a system unnecessarily.

      For the scoring -- there's always the handicapping option -- tossing out the lowest score if you're averaging. But there's always going to be a bit of a problem -- small versus large teams (though that doesn't always favor the large). One of the reasons I'm not so big on the regional thing, but more in favor of, again, like we did for the Competitive Challenge: teams of four, from wherever.
      =shrug= Creative math, of course, can level the numbers.

      -BarbJ/Tygress