Texas Challenge Rule Changes

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
      If there are rule changes you'd like to see made for future Texas Challenges, send me an email with your suggested change.

      One example that has been suggested for discussion is only counting the top 80% of a team's score. The rationale behind that is if a team has people drop out because they were hurt, or score cards get lost, or people get tired and quit, then those scores won't hurt the team. There are plenty of pros and cons to this. The major pro that I can think is that it might help more people consider playing.

      Anyway, if you have suggested changes, or you want to comment on this rule change, please email me. Thanks.
    • Debbie Sampson
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
        I think you would get more participation if the caches in the challenge were actually published caches and you get smileys for the finds.

        Deb of Joey & Deb

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
          Fair warning: I'm speaking as someone who has never been to a Challenge.
          That said, I've been to other events, and enjoyed them.

          Personally, if you're looking for upping participation, I think I'm the
          demographic you're targeting. I love geocaching, I'm relatively new to
          the "community," but I'm still a participant in the community. How do you
          get me out to a Texas Challenge?

          Well, I'd say the biggest thing that prevented me from wanting to go to
          this most recent one was the distance. In short, I wasn't willing to give
          up a weekend to drive to Houston (ugh), and I didn't know many people
          there. However, I also know that if I fell in love with the Challenge
          atmosphere, I'd be considerably more interested in it.

          Therefore, how to get my demographic to fall in love? It would be easier
          to get me out there if:

          1. It were closer
          2. (As Deb mentioned) I got smileys for the finds.

          Therefore, would it be possible to do a local challenge? Something
          designed for just the greater Austin area? If I went to that and realized
          that I loved it, I'd be up for a weekend trip for it.

          Elise/PandaChic

          > I think you would get more participation if the caches in the challenge
          > were actually published caches and you get smileys for the finds.
          >
          > Deb of Joey & Deb
          >
          > --- On Mon, 4/4/11, electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > From: electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
          > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge Rule Changes
          > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 2:07 PM
          >

          > If there are rule changes you'd like to see made for future Texas
          > Challenges, send me an email with your suggested change.
          >
          > One example that has been suggested for discussion is only counting the
          > top 80% of a team's score. The rationale behind that is if a team has
          > people drop out because they were hurt, or score cards get lost, or people
          > get tired and quit, then those scores won't hurt the team. There are
          > plenty of pros and cons to this. The major pro that I can think is that it
          > might help more people consider playing.
          >
          > Anyway, if you have suggested changes, or you want to comment on this rule
          > change, please email me. Thanks.

        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
            I'd like to see the "competition optional" category again. I had such a blast meeting and caching with other teams in Fredricksburg 2 years ago.

            Bring back the love, baby!

            Barbara ;) GiGi and JoJo

            On Apr 4, 2011, at 2:07 PM, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

            If there are rule changes you'd like to see made for future Texas Challenges, send me an email with your suggested change.

            One example that has been suggested for discussion is only counting the top 80% of a team's score. The rationale behind that is if a team has people drop out because they were hurt, or score cards get lost, or people get tired and quit, then those scores won't hurt the team. There are plenty of pros and cons to this. The major pro that I can think is that it might help more people consider playing.

            Anyway, if you have suggested changes, or you want to comment on this rule change, please email me. Thanks.

          • Denise Vajdak
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
              I'm not exactly sure how the scoring was done, but I would take all the score cards turned in, add all the scores together and divide by the number of cards.  If cards are lost or not turned in, they don't count for or against you.

              It would definitely help to have all the caches count on GC.com and/or OpenCaching.US.

              As far as distance, it moves around the State. Sooner or later, it would end up near you.

              Instead of punches for the cards, I would use rubber stamps/stamp pad.  It would create less paper waste on the ground (and torn cards).

              Put the cache numbers in order on the cards to make it easier to find them.

              Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
              http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak     http://twitter.com/nativtxn

              Geocaching - If you hide it, they will come!

              On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

              Fair warning: I'm speaking as someone who has never been to a Challenge.
              That said, I've been to other events, and enjoyed them.

              Personally, if you're looking for upping participation, I think I'm the
              demographic you're targeting. I love geocaching, I'm relatively new to
              the "community," but I'm still a participant in the community. How do you
              get me out to a Texas Challenge?

              Well, I'd say the biggest thing that prevented me from wanting to go to
              this most recent one was the distance. In short, I wasn't willing to give
              up a weekend to drive to Houston (ugh), and I didn't know many people
              there. However, I also know that if I fell in love with the Challenge
              atmosphere, I'd be considerably more interested in it.

              Therefore, how to get my demographic to fall in love? It would be easier
              to get me out there if:

              1. It were closer
              2. (As Deb mentioned) I got smileys for the finds.

              Therefore, would it be possible to do a local challenge? Something
              designed for just the greater Austin area? If I went to that and realized
              that I loved it, I'd be up for a weekend trip for it.

              Elise/PandaChic

              > I think you would get more participation if the caches in the challenge
              > were actually published caches and you get smileys for the finds.
              >

              > Deb of Joey & Deb
              >
              > --- On Mon, 4/4/11, electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > From: electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
              > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge Rule Changes
              > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 2:07 PM
              >

              > If there are rule changes you'd like to see made for future Texas
              > Challenges, send me an email with your suggested change.
              >
              > One example that has been suggested for discussion is only counting the
              > top 80% of a team's score. The rationale behind that is if a team has
              > people drop out because they were hurt, or score cards get lost, or people
              > get tired and quit, then those scores won't hurt the team. There are
              > plenty of pros and cons to this. The major pro that I can think is that it
              > might help more people consider playing.
              >
              > Anyway, if you have suggested changes, or you want to comment on this rule
              > change, please email me. Thanks.

            • Mrs. Captain Picard

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
                  To add a bit of clarification, the various regions typically take turns hosting the Texas Challenge to allow it to move around the state to areas closer to home for the various regions.  In 2003, the first challenge was hosted by CenTex, NE of Temple.  In '04, SETX hosted it in huntsville.  In '05, NTX hosted it just south of Dallas.  In '06, CenTex hosted it at Inks Lake.  In '07, SETX hosted it a bit south of Houston (Brazos Bend SP).  In '08, NTX hosted it west of Fort Worth.  In '09, CenTex had it in Fredericksburg.  In '10, it was hosted by West Texas in San Angelo and in '11, it was hosted in Huntsville again.

                  Doing a CentralTexas Challenge might be interesting, but I'm not sure who would be up for the planning since there's so much that goes into it.  (Julie, are you feeling particularly industrious this year?  :P)

                  ~~Nathaniel
                  Grn Beret 2B

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
                    Actually, Nathanial, I wouldn't mind throwing an event based on the individual team challenge like we did at ERock in 2009.  The big guy and I are retiring from daily work in 46 days, so you never know what we can accomplish after that.  As it seems to always go, the more days we have free, the more stuff we try to jam into it!

                    You would help me, right?

                    ....and that is NOT a commitment to throw this event!

                    Cheers,

                  • Matthew Manning
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011

                      I hardly knew anyone when I went to my first challenge.  Now I plan to attend every year, despite where it may be hosted.

                      The problem with making them all loggable is that many people on the hide committee don't live close to the challenge either, and that makes them hard to maintain.

                      It bothers me when people complain about them not being loggable.  You mean to tell me that the 4 hours of fun you have doing the challenge affects your overall impression of the weekend long events because you lose 4 hours of caching time?  I don't look forward to the challenge for the challenge

                      On Apr 4, 2011 5:43 PM, "Nathaniel D" <grn.beret.2b@...> wrote:

                      To add a bit of clarification, the various regions typically take turns hosting the Texas Challenge to allow it to move around the state to areas closer to home for the various regions.  In 2003, the first challenge was hosted by CenTex, NE of Temple.  In '04, SETX hosted it in huntsville.  In '05, NTX hosted it just south of Dallas.  In '06, CenTex hosted it at Inks Lake.  In '07, SETX hosted it a bit south of Houston (Brazos Bend SP).  In '08, NTX hosted it west of Fort Worth.  In '09, CenTex had it in Fredericksburg.  In '10, it was hosted by West Texas in San Angelo and in '11, it was hosted in Huntsville again.

                      Doing a CentralTexas Challenge might be interesting, but I'm not sure who would be up for the planning since there's so much that goes into it.  (Julie, are you feeling particularly industrious this year?  :P)

                      ~~Nathaniel
                      Grn Beret 2B

                      On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

                      > Fair warning: I'm speaking as someone who has never been to a Challenge.
                      > That said, I'v...

                    • Matthew Manning
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011

                        Damn send button!  I don't look forward to the challenge for the challenge more than I look toward to meeting others cachers on the crossroads.  I love caching a new place too.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
                          Even though I was working my tail off and didn't get to cache the Fredericksburg Challenge very much, I've got to say I was positively corrupted by that format. A CHALLENGE for those inclined -- the orienteering mode that we know and love/hate -- and lots of showcase caches for those who don't want to challenge. I know that folks love to wave the regional flag, but I guess I've moved too many times to get all patriotic about a single region. [Doesn't mean I don't LOVE you all!]

                          Now, obviously, that didn't work for a lot of people, or it would have been repeated. So desu.
                          But, Julie, Kevin, and ALL the great committee people -- THIS Tygress thought it rocked.

                          As for local challenges -- you have to find people with the energy.  Did you go to the 10th Anniversary event? Many caches were placed out for that.
                          Did you go to Semper Q's event on 10/10/10? There was a challenge aspect to that.  At this point, I'm more interested in the social aspects -- though in a less eventful year can see myself doing the orienteering/challenge thing again.   But laying out challenges is a HUGE amount of work... which is why we move the big Challenge around the state. [Speaking of which -- I have the CenTex orienteering punches, should there be a call for them.]

                          BarbJ/Tygress

                          Damn send button!� I don't look forward to the challenge for the challenge more than I look toward to meeting others cachers on the crossroads.� I love caching a new place too.

                          On Apr 4, 2011 5:53 PM, "Matthew Manning" <bananapoo@...> wrote:

                          I hardly knew anyone when I went to my first challenge.� Now I plan to attend every year, despite where it may be hosted.

                          The problem with making them all loggable is that many people on the hide committee don't live close to the challenge either, and that makes them hard to maintain.

                          It bothers me when people complain about them not being loggable.� You mean to tell me that the 4 hours of fun you have doing the challenge affects your overall impression of the weekend long events because you lose 4 hours of caching time?� I don't look forward to the challenge for the challenge

                          > On Apr 4, 2011 5:43 PM, "Nathaniel D" <grn.beret.2b@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > To add a bit of clarification, the various regions typically take turns hosting the Texas Chall...

                          > On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

                          > > �
                          > >
                          > > Fair warning: I'm speaking as someone who has never been to a Challenge.

                          > That said, I'v...

                          Groupon.com Official Site
                          1 huge daily deal on the best stuff to do in your city. Try it today!
                          Groupon.com
                        • Elise Taylor
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2011
                            I'd throw in my hat to help if you don't mind an utter newbie.  :)

                            Elise/PandaChic

                          • gj289fia
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 5, 2011
                              You are very likely correct. The problem is that as long as the events are held in state parks, permanent caches must comply with all the TPW guidelines including filling out paperwork for approval plus comply with all Groundspeak guidelines as well, such as .1 separation between caches, etc.

                              At HSP, we were required to submit coords for all locations to the park manager for prior approval of the cache location, but since the caches were only in place for a few days, we were permitted to bypass the full formal process. Initially it was planned that park personnel accompany us as we hid the caches but they backed off of that idea. I think that we convinced them we were going to be responsible cachers and not abuse the privileges we had been given.

                              Given the difficulty of planning and placing the caches under even the liberalized conditions that we dealt with I doubt that many event host teams would be willing to place permanent caches for the event. In the end, you will get the event smiley, possibly a few others (CITO,etc. while attending) plus have the opportunity to up your smiley count with caches in a new area. After all "It's not about the numbers" (or so they say, anyway).

                              Gary / Team Troglodyte (Challenge 2011 hide committee member)

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Sampson <sampson_debbie@...> wrote:

                              > I think you would get more participation if the caches in the challenge were actually published caches and you get smileys for the finds.
                              >
                              > Deb of Joey & Deb

                            • Bill Ellis
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 5, 2011
                                If you will permit a newbie with no challenge experience as of yet chime in with an idea.  As I have been reading over all these posts. I have an idea that may work.  So that the caches can still be logged durring a challenge.

                                If the main geocaching website and Groundspeak could give a special icon for Temporary/Challenge caches then presumably that would still allow for those who participate to get not only smileys for the caches they find, but also allow for the .10 mile rule to be laxed since these caches are temporary and part if a special type of event.  It would also have a public/lasting record of how that individual did durring the event. It may cause newer cachers that browses the website to ask about how to get the special icon smileys added to their totals thereby creating more interest in attending events.

                                Well It was just a thought I wanted to share.

                                Thanks.

                                Bill / ZionZR2

                              • Barbara

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 5, 2011
                                    I'd suggest something as a hybrid to what Barb mentioned.  Let TXGA handle the overall contracts, etc., but give the local regions the ability to help gather bids from local sources.  I agree that it's beneficial to spend local dollars in the host region and the locals may have more creative sources to get things done.

                                    However, I know I'd feel more comfortable with a state organization handling the risk of dollars coming and going.  TXGA would also be a better source of "institutional knowledge" of what happened in previous years as a planning gauge.  It would also be helpful to have a central source for registration, store front/ordering, etc.  Why should a region be tasked with all of that setup every year?

                                    What is the intent of TXGA when it comes to planning the event itself?  CenTex has been the more creative region as far as pushing the game (thanks mostly to Julie) and I'd hate to see future improvements stifled by the state organization taking over.  While the '09 change away from regions didn't stick, we were the ones that moved to using punches for scoring.  That move was over the outcry of several vocal people who didn't like the fact that a region could change the game from what it had been.

                                    Is the plan for TXGA to set an outline of basic format, but regions can decide from there or is TXGA going to run it all?  or would TXGA just take over the administrative functions?

                                    As far as scoring changes, I don't know how best to handle that.  If you throw out a percentage of cards, does that discourage people from trying hard?  Does a region try to limit the their team to just "hard core" cachers so they have fewer cards, but higher scoring ones?  If my card doesn't make the cut-off, how did I help my region by running around through the woods for 4 hours?

                                    Kevin
                                    KoosKoos

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 5, 2011
                                      Utter newbies sometimes come with the BEST ideas! You're not entrenched yet!
                                      Hey, OpalBlade & MamaCC were utter newbies and took on the 2009 Christmas Party -- and did AWESOME! So Awesome we lobbied to get them to do it again the next year!!! =g=

                                      Seriously, don't be shy -- and if someone gets snobby with you, whack 'em with a swim noodle.

                                      BarbJ =encouraging ALL volunteers= Tygress

> [...]

                                      > wrote:
                                      >

                                      > From: electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
                                      > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge Rule Changes
                                      > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                      > Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 2:07 PM
                                      >

                                      > �nbsp;

                                      > If there are rule changes you'd like to see made for future Texas
                                      > Challenges, send me an email with your suggested change.
                                      >
                                      > One example that has been suggested for discussion is only counting the
                                      > top 80% of a team's score. The rationale behind that is if a team has
                                      > people drop out because they were hurt, or score cards get lost, or people
                                      > get tired and quit, then those scores won't hurt the team. There are
                                      > plenty of pros and cons to this. The major pro that I can think is that it
                                      > might help more people consider playing.
                                      >
                                      > Anyway, if you have suggested changes, or you want to comment on this rule

                                      Obama Urges Refinance
                                      If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Obama's Refi Programs
                                      SeeRefinanceRates.com
                                    • Nathaniel Dickerman
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 5, 2011
                                        I'd help when and where I could, I had far, far too much fun setting up the E Rock challenge!

                                        ~~Nathaniel
                                        grn beret 2b