RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Question on logging trackables

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011
      Actually, on the one hand it seems rude to move it quickly -- and I've been in that boat where it was, Whoa! Damn! Gimme a minute!
      But too many trackables go completely missing.
      You know how I log, so can be a TAD possessive -- but realization! as the one-time holder I can STILL log -- by writing a note.
      So, after years of moving travelers and owning travelers, I've come to the conclusion: if it were mine, I opt for knowing WHERE the bugger is (though would perhaps put a note in my preemptive log -- with apologies to the previous holder).

      But it is a point of kindness -- we can take days/weeks/months to get a log in for caches we've found, but if a trackable is moved (dropped, or grabbed) log it right away.
      Kind folks will note it as missing, which can really ruin an owner's day. [Sometimes that happens within hours, and there's no help for it... but one must do what they can.]

      BarbJ -that's just an opinion, mind- Tygress

      From: Bill Ellis <sille777@...>
      To: Central Texas Geocachers <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 19:24:36 -0500

      I saw a trackable in a cache today but when I went to log it, it said it was last spotted in another cache.  How do I log it at where I found it?
      I did not move it from where I found it.

      Do I need to "Grab" it then "Place" it even though I actually never physically did that?

      Thanks for your replies.

      Bill / ZionZR2

      Get Free Email with Video Mail Video Chat!

      Groupon™ Official Site
      Groupon.com
    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011

        Barb,

        I agree that it does seem rude to move it too quickly some times. What I was trying to say and perhaps was not very clear about was that logging a discovered it and saying where it was discovered can be as informative as doing the grab and place. The trackable owner learns that it is not where the logs say it is and I don’t have a record of having moved it when I did not actually move it. I will say that I have grabbed a trackable in the past from someplace where I did not find it, but only because I had actually retrieved it from another cache and waited about a week before deciding that the person who dropped it was not going to log it. I think your approach is a good one because it allows the owner to know what is happening; I just don’t think that it is the only one. If I did not actually retrieve it from a cache I like it is not my responsibility to correct the location, maybe I am wrong, but I am more comfortable if I discover something where it is not located according to the logs then I just tell the owner where I found it in my discovered it log.

        +-+ Jay - BingOGT

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011
          There is no single way, and that's the beauty of the sport. Err on the side of information, however you choose to do it -- note, discovery, grab/drop
          Just so the info is THERE.

          =smile=

          BarbJ/Tygress

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011
            All good points.  The last thing I want something I have done is perceived as rude.  In this case I did a grabbed and dropped and noted in my logs that it was a virtual grab since it had been nearly a month since the previous log of any activity.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2011
              well done, imho (and, yes... there had been plenty of time. Truly, there are people who move trackables without logging them ... very strange, but that's the sport!)

              BarbJ/Tygress

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
                What I have done in the past is to contact the last person in the chain of possession and let them know you have it in hand right now and ask if they could please log it correctly.  If they do not respond within a couple of days, then go ahead and Grab it from them. Then just have it "Visit" the cache that you actually retrieved it from since you're not actually leaving it in that cache.  It stays in your inventory and it gets the mileage to the cache you found it in.

                Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
                http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak     http://twitter.com/nativtxn

                Geocaching - If you hide it, they will come!

                From: Bill Ellis <sille777@...>
                To: Central Texas Geocachers <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 19:24:36 -0500

                I saw a trackable in a cache today but when I went to log it, it said it was last spotted in another cache.  How do I log it at where I found it?
                I did not move it from where I found it.

                Do I need to "Grab" it then "Place" it even though I actually never physically did that?

                Thanks for your replies.

                Bill / ZionZR2

                Get Free Email with Video Mail Video Chat!

                Groupon™ Official Site

                Groupon.com

                Groupon&#8482 Official Site

                Groupon.com