Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Virtuals - the latest

  • Jana Iannello
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
      On 3/29/2011 3:19 PM, Mark Benson wrote:

      I kinda thought that the 'new virtuals' would be something like I saw last year at GeoWoodstock.........
      The big treasure box that they have at Headquarters has something like a bar code inside.  I saw people swiping their smartphones across that and it would log that cache as Found for them.
        I thought they might require the placing of the little barcode thing at different locations.......so the purists could actually 'find' something, but there would be no container for security to get skittish about............
      Jana

      "I was just out browsing through the GC.com feedback forum and noticed that Semper Questio’s suggestion to ‘bring back virtuals’ is in third place in total vote count with 1,811 votes.

      I can't believe that the request to bring back virtuals is ONLY in third place.  I got the impression that it was first and foremost on everybody's minds.  But seriously, what I've been hearing from various geocaching podcasts is that virtuals will indeed be brought back this year.  I'm curious to see what added steps will be required to publish a virtual.  From what I understand, they will focus on sites of a historical significance, much like earthcaches focus on all things geological.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that the publication process will be similarly stringent.  But that is purely speculation.

      Mark
      (BewareOfPenguin)