We might not be caching for a while....

  • Tim Gahagan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
      http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/030318154133.7p1uva5u.html

      "Drivers whose cars are equipped with a global positioning system (GPS) may
      be the first to know when war breaks out against Iraq, a German automobile
      club said Tuesday."
      Tim Gahagan
      P.O. Box 1386
      Georgetown, Texas 78627
      E-Mail: mailto:tim@...
      PGP Public Key available

      "When Right becomes the Wrong, Then Left becomes the right"
    • Tony Fannin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
        --- Tim Gahagan <tim@...> wrote:

        http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/030318154133.7p1uva5u.html

        > "Drivers whose cars are equipped with a global
        > positioning system (GPS) may
        > be the first to know when war breaks out against
        > Iraq, a German automobile
        > club said Tuesday."

        Before you get all worried please note that the _only_
        source for this story is a German Autoclub. No other
        sources are mentioned. I'll need confirmation from a
        U.S. government source before I believe it. Also, GPS
        signals can be degraded on a region by region basis.
        Why cripple the whole system when you can cripple it
        in just the part of the world where it's needed? GPS
        signals can also be jammed locally using radio jamming
        just like radar jamming. All reasons that this story
        means nothing for us in the good Ol' U.S. of A.

        Tony

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • Tim Gahagan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
          Ok, never mind, drive on!

          Tim

          At 08:11 AM 3/19/2003 -0800, you wrote:

          >--
        • Rich Wendling
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
            Some of us will still be geocaching...

            BTW, I'm teaching a class on "GPS-less Geocaching" at the Geocaching
            Extravaganza (GCC025) on March 29.

            Rich Wendling
            aka Web-ling
            Georienteer (O-Cacher?)

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Tim Gahagan <tim@g...>
            wrote:
            > http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/030318154133.7p1uva5u.html
            >
            > "Drivers whose cars are equipped with a global positioning system
            (GPS) may
            > be the first to know when war breaks out against Iraq, a German
            automobile
            > club said Tuesday."
            > Tim Gahagan
            > P.O. Box 1386
            > Georgetown, Texas 78627
            > E-Mail: mailto:tim@g...
            > PGP Public Key available
            >
            > "When Right becomes the Wrong, Then Left becomes the right"
          • Wayne Lind
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
              Here is an excerpt from a article on this subject from MSNBC:

                  Richard Langley, a University of New Brunswick geodesy professor who has studied GPS for 20 years, told MSNBC.com that civilian users probably have nothing to worry about.
                     Back in 2000, the U.S. military said it wouldn’t go back to the bad old days of “intentional degradation” of GPS signals. Instead, it would use more targeted tactics, including selective signal-jamming in the theater of military operations.
                     “People outside the theater can expect to use GPS as they have. ... Of course, national security overrides any statement that may have been made,” Langley said.
                     In a detailed set of "frequently asked questions,” Langley explains why the U.S. military still has the upper hand in GPS technology. Here are some of the strategies that could come into play during the conflict in Iraq:

              So unless you are planning on planting a cache in the Middle East, you are probably ok.

              The entire article can be seen at