Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Major Increase of Logged Finds with NO Comments

  • Matthew Manning
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011

      Groundspeak has come out in the past and said that logs are optional.  If it is a series cache, I don't have a problem with blank logs, but I really like to read the logs on caches that I really worked hard on.

      I wouldn't get upset about it though.  Just remember that it is inconvenient for the finder to not log their find, because if they later try and remember how they found it, it would be so much harder to do.

      On Mar 2, 2011 3:55 PM, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

      I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.

      Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.

      What are your thoughts on this?

      Matthew mda_taz

    • Dirk
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
        I've been getting LOTS of no comment caches for a few months now but it's gotten to where almost every one is either nothing at all or simply tftc. It seems to be iphone app cachers (I am guessing using a free app) and newer cachers. Rather disappointing for me because I love reading logs... and I try and leave good ones myself too.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

        > I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.
        >
        > Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.
        >
        > What are your thoughts on this?
        >
        > Matthew mda_taz

      • Danielle Skelton
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
          Is there a free app?  The Groundspeak one is $9.99, but it is really is awesome if you dont already have a GPSr that is paperless.  I have an old school Magellan and it got to be too much of a chore to plan out cache trips, load the information and then not have access to the logs and hints, etc.  With the iPhone app from Groundspeak, I can cache whenever I have time.  Love it!  (and its not a big deal to log a good log with it)

          Danielle/Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

          On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Dirk <dirkvanderploeg@...> wrote:

          I've been getting LOTS of no comment caches for a few months now but it's gotten to where almost every one is either nothing at all or simply tftc. It seems to be iphone app cachers (I am guessing using a free app) and newer cachers. Rather disappointing for me because I love reading logs... and I try and leave good ones myself too.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

          > I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.
          >
          > Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.
          >
          > What are your thoughts on this?
          >
          > Matthew mda_taz

        • Jay Bingham
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011

            Just to throw out my 2-cents worth on this topic.

            First cent, I sometimes don’t write very much about a cache because it was just not that remarkable of a hide and nothing interesting happened when I was looking for it. So rather than say something disparaging I just don’t say much more than thanks and my coded time stamp for when I found it. On the other hand if something interesting happened or it is hidden remarkably well or it is a cool container then I like to say something about that, sometimes I get very verbose. Even so I sometimes find it difficult to describe the experience without giving spoilers.

            Now for my second cent, I don’t have an iPhone so I can’t speak to that aspect of the logging from a mobile platform portion of this topic. I do have a Windows Mobile phone, (for which there is no Groundspeak app, there is a subscription app, that cost I think $9 per month through AT&T, from Trimble and there are a couple of free apps that I have found that allow spontaneous paperless caching). The first free app that I found and used (until the folks at Groundspeak made some changes that rendered it unusable) was GCzII. It has logging and field notes capabilities. I never used the logging capabilities because I like to put a coded time stamp in my logs and I never got around to implementing the calculation on my phone, plus I don’t like typing messages on the phone even though it has a full keyboard. GCzII’s field notes are recorded on the phone and if they can be up loaded to GC.com I never figured out how to do it. When GCzII became unusable I found GateCacher, which only has a field notes capability, no logging capability. When a field note is entered in GateCacher it uploaded to GC.com containing a time-stamped and text that that says that it originated in GateCacher in a trailer line. GC.com provides the capability to use field notes to create logs. Since I just discovered this functionality, I have not used it yet because I have my own method for time stamping my logs. I have seen logs with the Trimble attribution as well. Now having provided all that background (probably more than was needed) I am going to say that I would be surprised if the iPhone app did not include an iPhone attribution in the log.

            So the question is this: is there an iPhone user who has used the logging capability who can confirm or deny the existence of an iPhone attribution in iPhone generated logs?

            +-+ Jay - BingOGT
            |+| Georgetown , TX USA

            Is there a free app?  The Groundspeak one is $9.99, but it is really is awesome if you dont already have a GPSr that is paperless.  I have an old school Magellan and it got to be too much of a chore to plan out cache trips, load the information and then not have access to the logs and hints, etc.  With the iPhone app from Groundspeak, I can cache whenever I have time.  Love it!  (and its not a big deal to log a good log with it)

            Danielle/Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

            On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Dirk <dirkvanderploeg@...> wrote:

            I've been getting LOTS of no comment caches for a few months now but it's gotten to where almost every one is either nothing at all or simply tftc. It seems to be iphone app cachers (I am guessing using a free app) and newer cachers. Rather disappointing for me because I love reading logs... and I try and leave good ones myself too.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

            > I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and
            the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.

            > Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I
            am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.

            > What are your thoughts on this?
            >
            > Matthew mda_taz

          • Danielle Skelton
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
              My log does not have an iphone tag when using the app from Groundspeak, for example - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=01976326-8a18-4083-8212-e7ea1bd6f8e2

              That being said, I havent used it much.  It is surprising that there isnt an iPhone tag.