Major Increase of Logged Finds with NO Comments

  • Matthew A
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
      I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.

      Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.

      What are your thoughts on this?

      Matthew mda_taz
    • Esther Lopez
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
        Well, I have noticed a few of those totally blank logs for a few days now and I just thought that some finders were too busy to comment.
        But now I am not so sure. Maybe I will go back and check on some of them.
        Thanks for the heads up on this!

        Esther/BGTx

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
              I've been getting LOTS of no comment caches for a few months now but it's gotten to where almost every one is either nothing at all or simply tftc. It seems to be iphone app cachers (I am guessing using a free app) and newer cachers. Rather disappointing for me because I love reading logs... and I try and leave good ones myself too.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

              > I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.
              >
              > Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.
              >
              > What are your thoughts on this?
              >
              > Matthew mda_taz

            • Danielle Skelton
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
                Is there a free app?  The Groundspeak one is $9.99, but it is really is awesome if you dont already have a GPSr that is paperless.  I have an old school Magellan and it got to be too much of a chore to plan out cache trips, load the information and then not have access to the logs and hints, etc.  With the iPhone app from Groundspeak, I can cache whenever I have time.  Love it!  (and its not a big deal to log a good log with it)

                Danielle/Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

                On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Dirk <dirkvanderploeg@...> wrote:

                I've been getting LOTS of no comment caches for a few months now but it's gotten to where almost every one is either nothing at all or simply tftc. It seems to be iphone app cachers (I am guessing using a free app) and newer cachers. Rather disappointing for me because I love reading logs... and I try and leave good ones myself too.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

                > I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.
                >
                > Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.
                >
                > What are your thoughts on this?
                >
                > Matthew mda_taz

              • Jay Bingham
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011

                  Just to throw out my 2-cents worth on this topic.

                  First cent, I sometimes don’t write very much about a cache because it was just not that remarkable of a hide and nothing interesting happened when I was looking for it. So rather than say something disparaging I just don’t say much more than thanks and my coded time stamp for when I found it. On the other hand if something interesting happened or it is hidden remarkably well or it is a cool container then I like to say something about that, sometimes I get very verbose. Even so I sometimes find it difficult to describe the experience without giving spoilers.

                  Now for my second cent, I don’t have an iPhone so I can’t speak to that aspect of the logging from a mobile platform portion of this topic. I do have a Windows Mobile phone, (for which there is no Groundspeak app, there is a subscription app, that cost I think $9 per month through AT&T, from Trimble and there are a couple of free apps that I have found that allow spontaneous paperless caching). The first free app that I found and used (until the folks at Groundspeak made some changes that rendered it unusable) was GCzII. It has logging and field notes capabilities. I never used the logging capabilities because I like to put a coded time stamp in my logs and I never got around to implementing the calculation on my phone, plus I don’t like typing messages on the phone even though it has a full keyboard. GCzII’s field notes are recorded on the phone and if they can be up loaded to GC.com I never figured out how to do it. When GCzII became unusable I found GateCacher, which only has a field notes capability, no logging capability. When a field note is entered in GateCacher it uploaded to GC.com containing a time-stamped and text that that says that it originated in GateCacher in a trailer line. GC.com provides the capability to use field notes to create logs. Since I just discovered this functionality, I have not used it yet because I have my own method for time stamping my logs. I have seen logs with the Trimble attribution as well. Now having provided all that background (probably more than was needed) I am going to say that I would be surprised if the iPhone app did not include an iPhone attribution in the log.

                  So the question is this: is there an iPhone user who has used the logging capability who can confirm or deny the existence of an iPhone attribution in iPhone generated logs?

                  +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                  |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                  Is there a free app?  The Groundspeak one is $9.99, but it is really is awesome if you dont already have a GPSr that is paperless.  I have an old school Magellan and it got to be too much of a chore to plan out cache trips, load the information and then not have access to the logs and hints, etc.  With the iPhone app from Groundspeak, I can cache whenever I have time.  Love it!  (and its not a big deal to log a good log with it)

                  Danielle/Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

                  On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Dirk <dirkvanderploeg@...> wrote:

                  I've been getting LOTS of no comment caches for a few months now but it's gotten to where almost every one is either nothing at all or simply tftc. It seems to be iphone app cachers (I am guessing using a free app) and newer cachers. Rather disappointing for me because I love reading logs... and I try and leave good ones myself too.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa@...> wrote:

                  > I have heard of a glitch with the iPhone app that can log a cache find and
                  the cacher never knows that it happened. Is the increase of blank cachers logs due to this phone app? If it were one or two, I wouldn't have thought much about it, but I have had 15 to 20 in the past 2 months. Some of these are just caches on my watch list.

                  > Is it people who are too lazy to write even a simple thanks or found it? I
                  am not known as someone who usually writes a long log or poem, like Tygress :). I have sent a diplomatic note to some of these people to see if the cacher is knows that the online log is blank. I typically get no response. One person did reply back and they didn't realize that their phone accidentally logged the cache.

                  > What are your thoughts on this?
                  >
                  > Matthew mda_taz

                • Danielle Skelton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
                    My log does not have an iphone tag when using the app from Groundspeak, for example - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=01976326-8a18-4083-8212-e7ea1bd6f8e2

                    That being said, I havent used it much.  It is surprising that there isnt an iPhone tag.