Re: MEGA Texas Challenge

  • al_allen327
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1 11:57 AM
      I suppose I should put the specifics and a link.

      http://coord.info/GC2FDX2

      Saturday, March 12, 2011 9am-ish to 4pm-ish in Huntsville State Park, Huntsville, TX
      Other events surround this one Friday, Saturday night, and Sunday morning.

      Free online registration to compete is still open until MARCH 10TH.

      Competition pre-filled in scorecard deadline has passed (it was FEB28)
      If you want to compete: You have to register by MARCH 10TH

      If you don't want to compete, you can still attend the event if you show up, but you'll be doing the MEGA numbers a favor by registering NOW. There's an option for non-competitive types :-)

      Tshirts and meals can be reserved during online registration until MARCH 3RD.

      You know you want to --> here's the link straight to registration:
      http://www.txga.net/txchallenge/

      You must use the registration link above to register -- logging a WILL ATTEND won't count toward the headcount for groundspeak.

      SEE YOU THERE?
      semik/Audra

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "al_allen327" <al_allen327@...> wrote:

      > We've *got* to be close to having MEGA attendance numbers at the Texas Challenge this year... Dreamweaver confirmed we were likely going to get close. On one hand I don't want our statewide event going MEGA because we have few affordable venues that can accommodate such a crowd, but on the other its been a cornerstone of Texas caching for so many years for so many people! I kinda feel like it deserves the recognition!
      >
      > So since we're close: if you are on the fence about going to the Texas Challenge this year, follow the lead of at least 450 other folks and come on out! It costs nothing but your time and lodging (even that can be inexpensive if you post up for assistance with a campsite) to attend and NO you don't have to compete.
      >
      > I still recall the very first year I attended and how stunned I was to find so many people as excited about geocaching as I was (still am). I was stunned to learn how there are so many different facets of the game there are as well -- everyone has a different point of view. Through the years I've made so many friends across this state that makes caching away from home so much more fun!
      >
      > Come to the Tecas Challenge! It will be very near impossible to disappoint you!!!
      >
      > Semik/Audra

    • electric_water_boy
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1 2:10 PM
        There ain't 450 people on the list I've been looking at. It isn't the latest greatest list, but it has 202 players and 67 others. But it's still going to be a ton of fun so you better go and not miss out!

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "al_allen327" <al_allen327@...> wrote:

        > We've *got* to be close to having MEGA attendance numbers at the Texas Challenge this year... Dreamweaver confirmed we were likely going to get close. On one hand I don't want our statewide event going MEGA because we have few affordable venues that can accommodate such a crowd, but on the other its been a cornerstone of Texas caching for so many years for so many people! I kinda feel like it deserves the recognition!
        >
        > So since we're close: if you are on the fence about going to the Texas Challenge this year, follow the lead of at least 450 other folks and come on out! It costs nothing but your time and lodging (even that can be inexpensive if you post up for assistance with a campsite) to attend and NO you don't have to compete.
        >
        > I still recall the very first year I attended and how stunned I was to find so many people as excited about geocaching as I was (still am). I was stunned to learn how there are so many different facets of the game there are as well -- everyone has a different point of view. Through the years I've made so many friends across this state that makes caching away from home so much more fun!
        >
        > Come to the Tecas Challenge! It will be very near impossible to disappoint you!!!
        >
        > Semik/Audra

      • Matthew Manning
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1 3:18 PM

          Unless there is 200 or so procrastinators out there, this is not going to be a mega.  Still can't wait for the fun to arrive!

          Tehehe...  GO SOUTH TEXAS!

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1 9:22 PM
            No, seriously, I had the person wrong, it wasn't Dreamweaver, it was 9Key on 26 FEB that said we had 300 registered (remember 'Will Attend' logs are a misrepresentation of actual attendees -- they can represent more than one individual ~and~ not everyone logs a Will Attend due to the disconnect between registration and the cache page).

            Though I don't think 200 people have mentioned having "just" registered when they are typing their Will Attend logs since 26 FEB...

            We're always very close to MEGA numbers... Its still a cool idea.

            Me too, I'm ready!

            semik/Audra

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "al_allen327" <al_allen327@...> wrote:

            > We've *got* to be close to having MEGA attendance numbers at the Texas Challenge this year... Dreamweaver confirmed we were likely going to get close. On one hand I don't want our statewide event going MEGA because we have few affordable venues that can accommodate such a crowd, but on the other its been a cornerstone of Texas caching for so many years for so many people! I kinda feel like it deserves the recognition!
            >
            > So since we're close: if you are on the fence about going to the Texas Challenge this year, follow the lead of at least 450 other folks and come on out! It costs nothing but your time and lodging (even that can be inexpensive if you post up for assistance with a campsite) to attend and NO you don't have to compete.
            >
            > I still recall the very first year I attended and how stunned I was to find so many people as excited about geocaching as I was (still am). I was stunned to learn how there are so many different facets of the game there are as well -- everyone has a different point of view. Through the years I've made so many friends across this state that makes caching away from home so much more fun!
            >
            > Come to the Tecas Challenge! It will be very near impossible to disappoint you!!!
            >
            > Semik/Audra

          • texasgeocacher
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2 7:43 AM
              As of right now there are 428 people registered for the event. I'm not sure what list you're looking as waterboy, I'm looking in our database.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

              > There ain't 450 people on the list I've been looking at. It isn't the latest greatest list, but it has 202 players and 67 others. But it's still going to be a ton of fun so you better go and not miss out!
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "al_allen327" <al_allen327@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We've *got* to be close to having MEGA attendance numbers at the Texas Challenge this year... Dreamweaver confirmed we were likely going to get close. On one hand I don't want our statewide event going MEGA because we have few affordable venues that can accommodate such a crowd, but on the other its been a cornerstone of Texas caching for so many years for so many people! I kinda feel like it deserves the recognition!
              > >
              > > So since we're close: if you are on the fence about going to the Texas Challenge this year, follow the lead of at least 450 other folks and come on out! It costs nothing but your time and lodging (even that can be inexpensive if you post up for assistance with a campsite) to attend and NO you don't have to compete.
              > >
              > > I still recall the very first year I attended and how stunned I was to find so many people as excited about geocaching as I was (still am). I was stunned to learn how there are so many different facets of the game there are as well -- everyone has a different point of view. Through the years I've made so many friends across this state that makes caching away from home so much more fun!
              > >
              > > Come to the Tecas Challenge! It will be very near impossible to disappoint you!!!
              > >
              > > Semik/Audra

            • Denise Vajdak
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2 11:12 AM
                I've got friends on the registration committee and there are over 400 registrations right now.  A handful of people registered MULTIPLE times, so I don't know if you could count those or not.  It would be a shame to get soooooo close to 500 and not quite make it.  Please invite your friends, neighbors, etc. - if not for the whole weekend, at least for the main event.

                Denise E. Vajdak  ><>
                http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak     http://twitter.com/nativtxn

                Geocaching - Where YOU are the search engine!

                On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM, texasgeocacher <9key@...> wrote:

                As of right now there are 428 people registered for the event. I'm not sure what list you're looking as waterboy, I'm looking in our database.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

                > There ain't 450 people on the list I've been looking at. It isn't the latest greatest list, but it has 202 players and 67 others. But it's still going to be a ton of fun so you better go and not miss out!
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "al_allen327" <al_allen327@> wrote:
                > >
                > > We've *got* to be close to having MEGA attendance numbers at the Texas Challenge this year... Dreamweaver confirmed we were likely going to get close. On one hand I don't want our statewide event going MEGA because we have few affordable venues that can accommodate such a crowd, but on the other its been a cornerstone of Texas caching for so many years for so many people! I kinda feel like it deserves the recognition!
                > >
                > > So since we're close: if you are on the fence about going to the Texas Challenge this year, follow the lead of at least 450 other folks and come on out! It costs nothing but your time and lodging (even that can be inexpensive if you post up for assistance with a campsite) to attend and NO you don't have to compete.
                > >
                > > I still recall the very first year I attended and how stunned I was to find so many people as excited about geocaching as I was (still am). I was stunned to learn how there are so many different facets of the game there are as well -- everyone has a different point of view. Through the years I've made so many friends across this state that makes caching away from home so much more fun!
                > >
                > > Come to the Tecas Challenge! It will be very near impossible to disappoint you!!!
                > >
                > > Semik/Audra

              • electric_water_boy
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2 6:51 PM
                  The list that was given to the team captains a few days ago that showed who was playing for who and who wasn't playing. I assumed it was a pretty recent list, so I figured it was at least in the ball park. If there truly are 450 (not counting errors by people who registered more than once, and there are a few), then there is a shot for Mega. I hope we get it!

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "texasgeocacher" <9key@...> wrote:

                  > As of right now there are 428 people registered for the event. I'm not sure what list you're looking as waterboy, I'm looking in our database.
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > There ain't 450 people on the list I've been looking at. It isn't the latest greatest list, but it has 202 players and 67 others. But it's still going to be a ton of fun so you better go and not miss out!
                  > >
                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "al_allen327" <al_allen327@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > We've *got* to be close to having MEGA attendance numbers at the Texas Challenge this year... Dreamweaver confirmed we were likely going to get close. On one hand I don't want our statewide event going MEGA because we have few affordable venues that can accommodate such a crowd, but on the other its been a cornerstone of Texas caching for so many years for so many people! I kinda feel like it deserves the recognition!
                  > > >
                  > > > So since we're close: if you are on the fence about going to the Texas Challenge this year, follow the lead of at least 450 other folks and come on out! It costs nothing but your time and lodging (even that can be inexpensive if you post up for assistance with a campsite) to attend and NO you don't have to compete.
                  > > >
                  > > > I still recall the very first year I attended and how stunned I was to find so many people as excited about geocaching as I was (still am). I was stunned to learn how there are so many different facets of the game there are as well -- everyone has a different point of view. Through the years I've made so many friends across this state that makes caching away from home so much more fun!
                  > > >
                  > > > Come to the Tecas Challenge! It will be very near impossible to disappoint you!!!
                  > > >
                  > > > Semik/Audra

                • Matthew Manning
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2 6:59 PM

                    Well there have been a major influx of procrastinators posting will attend recently.  Let's hope it keepa going!

                    On Mar 2, 2011 8:52 PM, "electric_water_boy" <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

                    The list that was given to the team captains a few days ago that showed who was playing for who and who wasn't playing. I assumed it was a pretty recent list, so I figured it was at least in the ball park. If there truly are 450 (not counting errors by people who registered more than once, and there are a few), then there is a shot for Mega. I hope we get it!

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "texasgeocacher" <9key@...> wrote:

                    > As of right ...

                  • Nathaniel D
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2 7:02 PM
                      Don't forget that not everyone that comes to the challenge competes ;)

                      ~~Nathaniel
                      Grn Beret 2B

                    • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2 10:30 PM
                        As it was mentioned while planning for the 10 event, any event can be changed  after the fact if at least 500 log as attended.

                        Just sayin'

                        Jeri / JestrRulz

                        P.S. I'm late on e-mails, so this has probably been said