Garmin saves the day!

  • iphoneaddict_ipa
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
      I was out caching about 1:30 in the morning today (brrrr!!!!) getting a FTF on GC2NF5A in Copperas Cove when my luck took a nasty nosedive. I had log in hand, just took my gloves off to sign, and had a maglight between my neck and shoulder to shine on my leg for a writing area when the flashlight slipped and fell directly on my Oregon 550T screen, cracking it from one end to another! My hands were full and was ill prepared to deflect it in time...I cried to the heavens..Noooooooooo!!!!

      I did however call up Garmin, and got an RMA so I could turn it in for repair. A few dollars and a week later it should be back in my hands they said. I received an email a little later saying that it was under warranty and that I could turn it in for no charge! So here I sit with a hard lesson learned.

      I just wanted to share a little of my horror story with my fellow cachers, since it has somewhat of a happy ending that is to come. I was ready to cry because of the amount I invested in this handheld unit. I should have used a headlamp, lol.

      John
      Iphoneaddict in Killeen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2011
        Lanyard. Either on the flashlight or the Oregon. [Mine is on the Oregon.]
        Even then, Things Happen.
        Glad this will turn out well -- I've had pretty good luck with Garmin's Customer Service.

        Bless your heart, though -- that sucks!

        BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        Kill Your Wrinkles
        Mom Reveals Shocking $5 method for erasing wrinkles...Doctors hate her
        Channel9.com
      • iphoneaddict_ipa
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
          A lanyard would be a great idea on my gps. Thanks tygress. My maglight was one of the big ones that takes the D batteries so it never had a chance to live in the first place upon impact!
          Garmin says I should get a refurbished unit in about 2 weeks. I await eagerly.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2011
            Yeah, those big d cells are serious lights, for sure.

            It's a trick to get the lanyard laced in the Oregon (I use a wire folded, a la a needle); but it sure helps me free my hands.
            Waterweasel, on the other hand, doesn't use a lanyard. He has one of those multi-pocket shooting vests and tucks his unit in a big pocket. So mileage and styles vary...

            Hopefully you'll have your unit back sooner!

            BarbJ/Tygress

            A lanyard would be a great idea on my gps. Thanks tygress.  My maglight was one of the big ones that takes the D batteries so it never had a chance to live in the first place upon impact!
            Garmin says I should get a refurbished unit in about 2 weeks. I await eagerly.

            > Lanyard. Either on the flashlight or the Oregon. [Mine is on the Oregon.]Even then, Things Happen.Glad this will turn out well -- I've had pretty good luck with Garmin's Customer Service. Bless your heart, though -- that sucks! BarbJ/Tygress

            $65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
            Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
            Channel11NewsReport.com
          • Dirk
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2011
              Really sweet it was under warranty.

              I use one of those bike/concert/urban utility straps (I posted about it before) for night caching. It's simply awesome. I have a super bright LED clipped to the top carabeener (sp?) and my GPS to the lower. Pens in the pen holder in the strap and swag and batteries in one of the zipper. Also has a pouch for my iphone. I can let go of both the flashlight and GPSr to grab and sign a log and still use the flashlight since it shines down from my shoulder. Pretty awesome. I was always fumbling before and pulling things in and out of my pockets. It was $30.