Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Garmin Forerunner?

  • Esther Lopez
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2011
      Howdy Mo!
      I have a Magellan Explorist GC. I like some of the features (like adding a note to my finds and DNFs, and the adding a geocache feature is nifty) and the maps are terrific (it shows the paths at cemetaries!) !
      I was able to go paperless with it and it didn't break the bank (MRP 200.). But I would suggest getting it at REI or someplace that has a good return policy just in case. I did get it when it first came out 4/10,  so be sure to check for the latest updated units.

      Good luck,
      Esther/BGTx

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2011
        I use Forerunner Model 50. It is inexpensive, relatively; has a foot pod for tracking distance and cadence. the Heart rate monitor help in achieving good workouts. As with all Garmin fitness models workouts can be downloaded to your computer and the Garmin Training Center. I think it would satisfy your needs if it is still available. My two cents.
        Dick Young
        Blizzard

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2011
          If all you're tracking is miles and so forth, you might check into (relatively) inexpensive heart monitors. I know Polaris tracks mileage, though haven't explored the technology myself. Just musing aloud.

          BarbJ/Tygress

          I use Forerunner Model 50.  It is inexpensive, relatively; has a foot pod for tracking distance and cadence.  the Heart rate monitor help in achieving good workouts. As with all Garmin fitness models workouts can be downloaded to your computer and the Garmin Training Center. I think it would satisfy your needs if it is still available.  My two cents.
          Dick Young
          Blizzard

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "willfulgirl727" <Megindler@...> wrote:

          > I had a Garmin Forerunner which my DNCS (darling non cachng spouse) lost.  I can't remember the model, but need a new one.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  There seem to be a lot of new choices.  It would be used primarily for tracking miles hiked.  The boys are training for a Philmont Expedition.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks!
          >
          > Mo
          > Big Mo & True Blue

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

        • Dave Marquardt
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2011
            I have a Forerunner 201 and a 305.  The 201 is older generation, and I haven't used it since I got the 305.  The 305 has been very reliable.  I have a heart rate monitor strap that works with the 305, and other than occasionally replacing the HRM strap battery, it's been quite reliable.  My only complaint is the alert tones are a bit too quiet.

            -Balde Runner
             Dave

            On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:50 AM, willfulgirl727 <Megindler@...> wrote:

            I had a Garmin Forerunner which my DNCS (darling non cachng spouse) lost. I can't remember the model, but need a new one. Does anyone have any recommendations? There seem to be a lot of new choices. It would be used primarily for tracking miles hiked. The boys are training for a Philmont Expedition. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

            Mo
            Big Mo & True Blue

          • Alyson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2011
              I still use my 201 and I really like it for the small amount of running that I do. My BIL uses the 405 and really does not like it. He says he would not buy it again. He did really like the 305 though.

              Alyson/gtbevo