This Is Outrageous!

  • banda_geocacher
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
      This guy (Phil Falcone)sounds like a greedy crook, and is poised to essentially make all of our gps receivers unusable!

      http://tinyurl.com/4u8zfn6

      http://tinyurl.com/64cmuvv

      http://www.nlpc.org/sites/default/files/HarbingerLetter.pdf

      Brent
    • jestrrrulz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
        It required a login for me.

        In a message dated 2/6/2011 9:55:39 A.M. Central Standard Time, banda@... writes:
        This is where I originally got this information. I'm curious, can you read this forum without signing in?
      • Victor Engel
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
          It does seem to be a bit rushed. However, to be fair, they are using a band that, although close to the GPS band, is separate from it. This should not interfere with GPS devices if they are made with appropriate filtering. I've reasonably confident that there is enough at stake in government, aeronotics, etc., that the brakes will be put on this endeavor until appropriate countermeasures can be taken. It's possible such countermeasure might include our having to upgrade our GPS devices.

          Victor

          On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
          This guy (Phil Falcone)sounds like a greedy crook, and is poised to essentially make all of our gps receivers unusable!

          http://tinyurl.com/4u8zfn6

          http://tinyurl.com/64cmuvv

          http://www.nlpc.org/sites/default/files/HarbingerLetter.pdf

          Brent

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

        • banda_geocacher
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
            That's one of the problems I have with this. Garmin and Trimble have both already determined that their units will be jammed. I don't think all the hundreds of thousands of current gps units should have to be thrown away and replaced.

            Brent

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

            > It does seem to be a bit rushed. However, to be fair, they are using a band
            > that, although close to the GPS band, is separate from it. This should not
            > interfere with GPS devices if they are made with appropriate filtering. I've
            > reasonably confident that there is enough at stake in government,
            > aeronotics, etc., that the brakes will be put on this endeavor until
            > appropriate countermeasures can be taken. It's possible such countermeasure
            > might include our having to upgrade our GPS devices.
            >
            > Victor
            >
            > On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
            >
            > > This guy (Phil Falcone)sounds like a greedy crook, and is poised to
            > > essentially make all of our gps receivers unusable!
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/4u8zfn6
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/64cmuvv
            > >
            > > http://www.nlpc.org/sites/default/files/HarbingerLetter.pdf
            > >
            > > Brent

          • Victor Engel
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
              They also shouldn't get to hijack a band just because they can't be selective enough to pick up only what they intend.....

              On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 8:17 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
              That's one of the problems I have with this. Garmin and Trimble have both already determined that their units will be jammed. I don't think all the hundreds of thousands of current gps units should have to be thrown away and replaced.

              Brent

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

              > It does seem to be a bit rushed. However, to be fair, they are using a band
              > that, although close to the GPS band, is separate from it. This should not
              > interfere with GPS devices if they are made with appropriate filtering. I've
              > reasonably confident that there is enough at stake in government,
              > aeronotics, etc., that the brakes will be put on this endeavor until
              > appropriate countermeasures can be taken. It's possible such countermeasure
              > might include our having to upgrade our GPS devices.
              >
              > Victor
              >
              > On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
              >
              > > This guy (Phil Falcone)sounds like a greedy crook, and is poised to
              > > essentially make all of our gps receivers unusable!
              > >
              > > http://tinyurl.com/4u8zfn6
              > >
              > > http://tinyurl.com/64cmuvv
              > >
              > > http://www.nlpc.org/sites/default/files/HarbingerLetter.pdf
              > >
              > > Brent

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011

                I have not looked into how widespread the jamming will be, but if it is widespread, unless my phone is capable of filtering out the unwanted signals I will certainly be forced out of geocaching if this is allowed to proceed. I am also certain that many other geocachers will be in the same boat, unable to afford to upgrade their units if they are forced to purchase new units due to inadequate filtering in their current units.

                +-+ Jay - BingOGT