Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: A question

  • Kevin (KoosKoos)
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 27, 2011
      Well, if we're going to get into deep thinking based on this topic....thinking of people as the Ship of Theseus, I highly recommend Ray Kurzweil's book "The Age of Spiritual Machines".  One of the main themes of the book is at how do we define who a person is...is a person with an artificial limb still the same person?  what if they have an artificial heart? or other organs?  Do you stop being "you" just because your parts are different?  And then extrapolating from there, if your "consciousness" could be downloaded to a machine, is that still you?  Is that an evolution of the human form?

      Back to the original question, I agree with others.  It's ultimately your choice as the cache owner...you can let people log a million "found it" logs on your cache if you wanted.  and for me, like others, it comes down to "is this the same experience?" if not, archive it even if it's a very different container in the same spot.

      There's no shame in archiving a cache that didn't work out as you'd planned or has just outlived it's current existence....put out the sequel and enjoy!

      Kevin
      KoosKoos

      On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Indigo Parrish <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "bigguy9211116" <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

      > I want the cachers in this group to chime in on what they think about the following;
      >
      > Many of you know me as Bigguy In Texas and I like to hide caches almost as much as I like finding them. My hide rate is about 1 for every 6.4 caches that I find. I have a lot of hides (399 as of this posting, WHOOP!) and I try to keep as many of them active as I can (88 archived with 26 of them being events!). I don't like to archive them if I can avoid it. Sometimes I will have to move a cache, and that brings up my question....
      >
      > Can you refind this moved cache in its new coordinates?
      >
      > I feel that a moved cache IS a new find. You may have found it in the past but if it is moved then it isn't where you looked before! You are therefore welcome to come out and claim another smiley on it.
      >
      > I talked to another CenTex cacher about this recently and they said what has sometimes been done in the past is to archive the original cache and relist it so that it will show up on everyone's inbox as a new cache. If I did this everytime I had to move a cache, my hide numbers would be much higher than they are now!
      >
      > Let me know how you feel about this, but rest assured that if you get a notification about one of mine being relocated, you can come and get it again!
      >
      > Thanks for your input and I will keep hiding if you will keep finding!

      Hi Esther --

      I see this as related to the "Ship of Theseus" paradox:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

      Like people or other entities, I feel a cache has identity properties (its essence) and temporary properties (its attributes). If the essence changes (e.g. completely different puzzle, vastly different hiding spot or camo method, new owner resurrecting an abandoned cache in same location) it should be a new cache, even if it's in the same location. If some inessential feature changes (e.g. upgraded container, slight movement, rehidden after muggled) I think it should not be a new cache.

      So ask yourself: if I step back as an outsider and looked at the two hides, old and new, would I consider them essentially the same or essentially different? If you as a finder would find them essentially different, I'd relist it.

      As for relisting just to encourage relogging, that's a heavy handed solution to favor the numbers cachers. There's a simpler fix for that : just say "if you found it before, feel free to find it again now that it's a bit different". That allows everyone to have their cake and eat it too.

      -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

      P.S. We are also all like the Ship of Theseus ourselves if you consider that all the atoms in our body cycle out over our lifetimes (this is the essence of Carbon dating) but that's a granularity issue.

      P.P.S. I get paid to get a computer to reason about these distinctions as my day job ;)