Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: New To Austin

  • Megindler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
      But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin! ;o) Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
      Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within the next three days or so.

      Mo

      You picked the right side of town that’s for sure. Remember to stay out of North Austin after dark. Don’t want to wind up at some place like Cool River or some other place like it. J
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

        We had so much fun on NYE we would love to join anyone for a night cache !  Keep us posted!
        Tropical Diva aka Karen of Team Parrothead
        But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin!  ;o)  Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
        Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within the next three days or so.

        Mo

        You picked the right side of town that’s for sure. Remember to stay out of North Austin after dark. Don’t want to wind up at some place like Cool River or some other place like it.  J

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

          Big Mo? You are on the hook now. I am so ready for a night cache I can hardly stand it.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
            Have you tried day caching while wearing a blindfold?

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
              I'm like to try again for a night cache. Please invite me.
              Shelly

              On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 06:47 PM, Megindler@... wrote:

              > But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin!  ;o)
              > Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
              > Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within
              > the next three days or so.
              >
              > Mo
              >

              > You picked the right side of town that’s for sure. Remember to stay
              > out of North Austin after dark. Don’t want to wind up at some place
              > like Cool River or some other place like it.  J

              <image.tiff>

              <image.tiff>

            • Grajek
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

                Lol. No but I think I may. Lord knows I have done dumber things  J

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                  Too bad you're south!!! There are some great, long hikes in the
                  Georgetown area if you make it out this way sometime. I have taken
                  my dog on most of them. These are all located on the trail system
                  that goes around Lake Georgetown - (approx 16 miles). You can check
                  out these:

                  Dr.Harry O2 - about 5 miles round trip
                  For Miles and Miles - I had to leave my dog behind for the last 100
                  yds or so, but she was ready for the rest!! You can also pick up
                  Camp Tejas on the way
                  I Can See for Miles and Miles - nice, flat walk
                  Carnaval Cache and How Do You Measure Up can both be picked up on a
                  several mile hike out of Russell Park. Word to the wise - Don't
                  stay past dark or your car gets locked in and you have to call
                  someone to come pick you and your 8 yr old son up!!!!! Or sweet-talk
                  the caretaker into coming and letting you out of the park!!!!!

                  I'm sooooo glad to be back in town - and ready to cache again!!!

                  Alyson

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "shylock_n_fiona"
                  <wmclaughlin@a...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Wayne! I've already started printing out some greenbelt
                  > caches. That certainly looks like the place to start! I'm in
                  South
                  > Austin, so it's concenient, too.
                  >
                  > I also printed out your tips on other hikes. That will really
                  come
                  > in handy, especially when Fiona and our dogs arrive (she's a
                  > real "gung-ho" monster hiker!)
                  >
                  > Thanks again!
                  > Wynne (aka "Shylock")
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind"
                  > <wlind@a...> wrote:
                  > > Welcome to Austin! Too bad you didn't post this earlier in the
                  > week, we
                  > > could have invited you to our new years eve night cache event.
                  > > There are probably going to be lots of opinions expressed on the
                  > best caches
                  > > in Austin, primarily because there are a LOT of great caches
                  here.
                  > One of my
                  > > personal favorites is Enchanted Forest. (GC215) It is also one
                  of
                  > the oldest
                  > > caches in the city. I can't think of any individual caches that
                  > would make a
                  > > long hike, but if you hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from one
                  end
                  > to the
                  > > other, you can get a 15 mile hike and pick up 25 or 30 caches at
                  > the same
                  > > time, but it may be a little tough to get them all in one day.
                  > Outside the
                  > > city, there are some very pretty hikes to caches at both
                  > Pedernales and
                  > > Bastrop State Parks. Depending on where you are in the city,
                  these
                  > parks can
                  > > be reached in under an hour of driving. There are also several
                  > city parks
                  > > that although none of the individual cache hikes are lengthy, if
                  > you get all
                  > > the caches in the park, you will have hiked a good ways. St
                  > Edwards Park has
                  > > 6 or 7 caches, Balcones district park has about the same number,
                  > and Walnut
                  > > Creek Park has 5or6. In Walnut Creek Park, it is always a good
                  > idea to
                  > > waypoint your car and turn on your track log. The trail system
                  in
                  > that park
                  > > is extensive and looks like a plate of Spaghetti. There are also
                  > lot of
                  > > caches in Emma Long Park and Dick Nichols Park in south Austin.
                  > There are a
                  > > lot of great caches I missed, hopefully you will get some
                  feedback
                  > from some
                  > > other cachers on their favorites as well.
                  > >
                  > > Again, welcome to the city,
                  > > Wayne

                  Santa
                  > > Barbara, CA. http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=281f5c7a-
                  > 7f2b-
                  > > 406d-bb23-883f48b50d31 She and the dogs won't be moving to
                  > Austin
                  > > for a few months. I'm planning to do some caches myself to
                  get a
                  > > feel for the area and I'm looking for suggestions (especially
                  fun
                  > > and/or challenging hikes that are dog-friendly.) Any thoughts?
                  > >
                  > > Shylock (of "Shylock, Fiona & The Geo-Hounds")

                  > of Service.
                • Henry Rohlfs
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                    Sometimes I FEEL like I'm looking for a cache while blindfolded!
                    -DD

                    >>> jgrajek@... 01/03/04 12:10 AM >>>
                    Lol. No but I think I may. Lord knows I have done dumber things :-)

                    Have you tried day caching while wearing a blindfold?
                    Big Mo? You are on the hook now. I am so ready for a night cache I can
                    hardly stand it.

                    We had so much fun on NYE we would love to join anyone for a night cache
                    ! Keep us posted!
                    Tropical Diva aka Karen of Team Parrothead
                    But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin! ;o)
                    Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
                    Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within the
                    next three days or so.

                    Mo

                    You picked the right side of town that's for sure. Remember to stay out
                    of North Austin after dark. Don't want to wind up at some place like
                    Cool River or some other place like it. J

                    _____

                    scribe>

                    _____

                    scribe>