Re: New To Austin

  • shylock_n_fiona
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
      Thanks Wayne! I've already started printing out some greenbelt
      caches. That certainly looks like the place to start! I'm in South
      Austin, so it's concenient, too.

      I also printed out your tips on other hikes. That will really come
      in handy, especially when Fiona and our dogs arrive (she's a
      real "gung-ho" monster hiker!)

      Thanks again!
      Wynne (aka "Shylock")

      <wlind@a...> wrote:
      > Welcome to Austin! Too bad you didn't post this earlier in the
      week, we
      > could have invited you to our new years eve night cache event.
      > There are probably going to be lots of opinions expressed on the
      best caches
      > in Austin, primarily because there are a LOT of great caches here.
      One of my
      > personal favorites is Enchanted Forest. (GC215) It is also one of
      the oldest
      > caches in the city. I can't think of any individual caches that
      would make a
      > long hike, but if you hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from one end
      to the
      > other, you can get a 15 mile hike and pick up 25 or 30 caches at
      the same
      > time, but it may be a little tough to get them all in one day.
      Outside the
      > city, there are some very pretty hikes to caches at both
      Pedernales and
      > Bastrop State Parks. Depending on where you are in the city, these
      parks can
      > be reached in under an hour of driving. There are also several
      city parks
      > that although none of the individual cache hikes are lengthy, if
      you get all
      > the caches in the park, you will have hiked a good ways. St
      Edwards Park has
      > 6 or 7 caches, Balcones district park has about the same number,
      and Walnut
      > Creek Park has 5or6. In Walnut Creek Park, it is always a good
      idea to
      > waypoint your car and turn on your track log. The trail system in
      that park
      > is extensive and looks like a plate of Spaghetti. There are also a
      lot of
      > caches in Emma Long Park and Dick Nichols Park in south Austin.
      There are a
      > lot of great caches I missed, hopefully you will get some feedback
      from some
      > other cachers on their favorites as well.
      >
      > Again, welcome to the city,
      > Wayne

      Austin
      > for a few months. I'm planning to do some caches myself to get a
      > feel for the area and I'm looking for suggestions (especially fun
      > and/or challenging hikes that are dog-friendly.) Any thoughts?
      >
      > Shylock (of "Shylock, Fiona & The Geo-Hounds")

      of Service.
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
        Shylock,

        Welcome ( again) to SOUTH Austin.... you are now considered a "Bubba"

        Santa Barbara.... one of my FAVORITE places!!!

        <wlind@a...> wrote:
        > Welcome to Austin! Too bad you didn't post this earlier in the
        week, we
        > could have invited you to our new years eve night cache event.
        > There are probably going to be lots of opinions expressed on the
        best caches
        > in Austin, primarily because there are a LOT of great caches here.
        One of my
        > personal favorites is Enchanted Forest. (GC215) It is also one of
        the oldest
        > caches in the city. I can't think of any individual caches that
        would make a
        > long hike, but if you hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from one end
        to the
        > other, you can get a 15 mile hike and pick up 25 or 30 caches at
        the same
        > time, but it may be a little tough to get them all in one day.
        Outside the
        > city, there are some very pretty hikes to caches at both
        Pedernales and
        > Bastrop State Parks. Depending on where you are in the city, these
        parks can
        > be reached in under an hour of driving. There are also several
        city parks
        > that although none of the individual cache hikes are lengthy, if
        you get all
        > the caches in the park, you will have hiked a good ways. St
        Edwards Park has
        > 6 or 7 caches, Balcones district park has about the same number,
        and Walnut
        > Creek Park has 5or6. In Walnut Creek Park, it is always a good
        idea to
        > waypoint your car and turn on your track log. The trail system in
        that park
        > is extensive and looks like a plate of Spaghetti. There are also a
        lot of
        > caches in Emma Long Park and Dick Nichols Park in south Austin.
        There are a
        > lot of great caches I missed, hopefully you will get some feedback
        from some
        > other cachers on their favorites as well.
        >
        > Again, welcome to the city,
        > Wayne

        of Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

          You picked the right side of town that’s for sure. Remember to stay out of North Austin after dark. Don’t want to wind up at some place like Cool River or some other place like it.  J

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
            If you all ever need a guided tour of the greenbelt let me and Choco
            know. We walk it almost everyday and have for the last 6 years or so.
            Also, you all ever want to do some night caching me and my sister and
            friends usually do 1 or 2 a month. Let us know.

            <wlind@a...> wrote:
            > Welcome to Austin! Too bad you didn't post this earlier in the
            week, we
            > could have invited you to our new years eve night cache event.
            > There are probably going to be lots of opinions expressed on the
            best caches
            > in Austin, primarily because there are a LOT of great caches here.
            One of my
            > personal favorites is Enchanted Forest. (GC215) It is also one of
            the oldest
            > caches in the city. I can't think of any individual caches that
            would make a
            > long hike, but if you hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from one end
            to the
            > other, you can get a 15 mile hike and pick up 25 or 30 caches at
            the same
            > time, but it may be a little tough to get them all in one day.
            Outside the
            > city, there are some very pretty hikes to caches at both
            Pedernales and
            > Bastrop State Parks. Depending on where you are in the city, these
            parks can
            > be reached in under an hour of driving. There are also several
            city parks
            > that although none of the individual cache hikes are lengthy, if
            you get all
            > the caches in the park, you will have hiked a good ways. St
            Edwards Park has
            > 6 or 7 caches, Balcones district park has about the same number,
            and Walnut
            > Creek Park has 5or6. In Walnut Creek Park, it is always a good
            idea to
            > waypoint your car and turn on your track log. The trail system in
            that park
            > is extensive and looks like a plate of Spaghetti. There are also a
            lot of
            > caches in Emma Long Park and Dick Nichols Park in south Austin.
            There are a
            > lot of great caches I missed, hopefully you will get some feedback
            from some
            > other cachers on their favorites as well.
            >
            > Again, welcome to the city,
            > Wayne

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Megindler@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
              But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin! ;o) Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
              Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within the next three days or so.

              Mo

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

                We had so much fun on NYE we would love to join anyone for a night cache !  Keep us posted!
                Tropical Diva aka Karen of Team Parrothead

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

                  Big Mo? You are on the hook now. I am so ready for a night cache I can hardly stand it.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Have you tried day caching while wearing a blindfold?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                      I'm like to try again for a night cache. Please invite me.
                      Shelly

                      On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 06:47 PM, Megindler@... wrote:

                      > But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin!  ;o)
                      > Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
                      > Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within
                      > the next three days or so.
                      >
                      > Mo
                      >

                      > You picked the right side of town that’s for sure. Remember to stay
                      > out of North Austin after dark. Don’t want to wind up at some place
                      > like Cool River or some other place like it.  J

                      <image.tiff>

                      <image.tiff>

                    • Grajek
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

                        Lol. No but I think I may. Lord knows I have done dumber things  J

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                          Too bad you're south!!! There are some great, long hikes in the
                          Georgetown area if you make it out this way sometime. I have taken
                          my dog on most of them. These are all located on the trail system
                          that goes around Lake Georgetown - (approx 16 miles). You can check
                          out these:

                          Dr.Harry O2 - about 5 miles round trip
                          For Miles and Miles - I had to leave my dog behind for the last 100
                          yds or so, but she was ready for the rest!! You can also pick up
                          Camp Tejas on the way
                          I Can See for Miles and Miles - nice, flat walk
                          Carnaval Cache and How Do You Measure Up can both be picked up on a
                          several mile hike out of Russell Park. Word to the wise - Don't
                          stay past dark or your car gets locked in and you have to call
                          someone to come pick you and your 8 yr old son up!!!!! Or sweet-talk
                          the caretaker into coming and letting you out of the park!!!!!

                          I'm sooooo glad to be back in town - and ready to cache again!!!

                          Alyson

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "shylock_n_fiona"

                        • Henry Rohlfs
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                            Sometimes I FEEL like I'm looking for a cache while blindfolded!
                            -DD

                            >>> jgrajek@... 01/03/04 12:10 AM >>>
                            Lol. No but I think I may. Lord knows I have done dumber things :-)

                            Have you tried day caching while wearing a blindfold?
                            Big Mo? You are on the hook now. I am so ready for a night cache I can
                            hardly stand it.

                            We had so much fun on NYE we would love to join anyone for a night cache
                            ! Keep us posted!
                            Tropical Diva aka Karen of Team Parrothead
                            But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin! ;o)
                            Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
                            Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within the
                            next three days or so.

                            Mo

                            You picked the right side of town that's for sure. Remember to stay out
                            of North Austin after dark. Don't want to wind up at some place like
                            Cool River or some other place like it. J

                            _____

                            scribe>

                            _____

                            scribe>