RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] New To Austin

  • Wayne Lind
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
      Welcome to Austin! Too bad you didn't post this earlier in the week, we could have invited you to our new years eve night cache event.
      There are probably going to be lots of opinions expressed on the best caches in Austin, primarily because there are a LOT of great caches here. One of my personal favorites is Enchanted Forest. (GC215) It is also one of the oldest caches in the city. I can't think of any individual caches that would make a long hike, but if you hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from one end to the other, you can get a 15 mile hike and pick up 25 or 30 caches at the same time, but it may be a little tough to get them all in one day. Outside the city, there are some very pretty hikes to caches at both Pedernales and Bastrop State Parks. Depending on where you are in the city, these parks can be reached in under an hour of driving. There are also several city parks that although none of the individual cache hikes are lengthy, if you get all the caches in the park, you will have hiked a good ways. St Edwards Park has 6 or 7 caches, Balcones district park has about the same number, and Walnut Creek Park has 5or6. In Walnut Creek Park, it is always a good idea to waypoint your car and turn on your track log. The trail system in that park is extensive and looks like a plate of Spaghetti. There are also a lot of caches in Emma Long Park and Dick Nichols Park in south Austin. There are a lot of great caches I missed, hopefully you will get some feedback from some other cachers on their favorites as well.

      Again, welcome to the city,
      Wayne
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
        Thanks Karen,

        We lived in Santa Barbara, which is between the ocean and a ridge of
        mountains -- and just beyond them, the Las Padres National Forest.
        It was a wonderful area. There's also a great Geocaching community
        there, so we made a lot of friends. I'm so glad to find a thriving
        community here in Austin!

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <karenj@a...>
        wrote:
        > Shylock,
        >
        > Welcome to Texas/Austin! You are from my home state and I have
        been
        > wondering how the geo caching is out there... because Austin is
        AWESOME!!!
        > I think you will really enjoy it. There is a great community of
        geo cachers
        > out here. Good thing you joined this list, they will be very
        helpful. We
        > are rather new however.
        >
        > You might want to find The Rock That Rolls in your ventures.....
        (once it
        > gets back from vacation on the 4th).
        >
        > Welcome!
        > -Karen
        > Tropical Diva
        > Team Parrothead

        of Service.
      • shylock_n_fiona
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
          Thanks Wayne! I've already started printing out some greenbelt
          caches. That certainly looks like the place to start! I'm in South
          Austin, so it's concenient, too.

          I also printed out your tips on other hikes. That will really come
          in handy, especially when Fiona and our dogs arrive (she's a
          real "gung-ho" monster hiker!)

          Thanks again!
          Wynne (aka "Shylock")

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
            Shylock,

            Welcome ( again) to SOUTH Austin.... you are now considered a "Bubba"

            Santa Barbara.... one of my FAVORITE places!!!

            <wlind@a...> wrote:
            > Welcome to Austin! Too bad you didn't post this earlier in the
            week, we
            > could have invited you to our new years eve night cache event.
            > There are probably going to be lots of opinions expressed on the
            best caches
            > in Austin, primarily because there are a LOT of great caches here.
            One of my
            > personal favorites is Enchanted Forest. (GC215) It is also one of
            the oldest
            > caches in the city. I can't think of any individual caches that
            would make a
            > long hike, but if you hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from one end
            to the
            > other, you can get a 15 mile hike and pick up 25 or 30 caches at
            the same
            > time, but it may be a little tough to get them all in one day.
            Outside the
            > city, there are some very pretty hikes to caches at both
            Pedernales and
            > Bastrop State Parks. Depending on where you are in the city, these
            parks can
            > be reached in under an hour of driving. There are also several
            city parks
            > that although none of the individual cache hikes are lengthy, if
            you get all
            > the caches in the park, you will have hiked a good ways. St
            Edwards Park has
            > 6 or 7 caches, Balcones district park has about the same number,
            and Walnut
            > Creek Park has 5or6. In Walnut Creek Park, it is always a good
            idea to
            > waypoint your car and turn on your track log. The trail system in
            that park
            > is extensive and looks like a plate of Spaghetti. There are also a
            lot of
            > caches in Emma Long Park and Dick Nichols Park in south Austin.
            There are a
            > lot of great caches I missed, hopefully you will get some feedback
            from some
            > other cachers on their favorites as well.
            >
            > Again, welcome to the city,
            > Wayne

            of Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Grajek
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

              You picked the right side of town that’s for sure. Remember to stay out of North Austin after dark. Don’t want to wind up at some place like Cool River or some other place like it.  J

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                If you all ever need a guided tour of the greenbelt let me and Choco
                know. We walk it almost everyday and have for the last 6 years or so.
                Also, you all ever want to do some night caching me and my sister and
                friends usually do 1 or 2 a month. Let us know.

                <wlind@a...> wrote:
                > Welcome to Austin! Too bad you didn't post this earlier in the
                week, we
                > could have invited you to our new years eve night cache event.
                > There are probably going to be lots of opinions expressed on the
                best caches
                > in Austin, primarily because there are a LOT of great caches here.
                One of my
                > personal favorites is Enchanted Forest. (GC215) It is also one of
                the oldest
                > caches in the city. I can't think of any individual caches that
                would make a
                > long hike, but if you hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt from one end
                to the
                > other, you can get a 15 mile hike and pick up 25 or 30 caches at
                the same
                > time, but it may be a little tough to get them all in one day.
                Outside the
                > city, there are some very pretty hikes to caches at both
                Pedernales and
                > Bastrop State Parks. Depending on where you are in the city, these
                parks can
                > be reached in under an hour of driving. There are also several
                city parks
                > that although none of the individual cache hikes are lengthy, if
                you get all
                > the caches in the park, you will have hiked a good ways. St
                Edwards Park has
                > 6 or 7 caches, Balcones district park has about the same number,
                and Walnut
                > Creek Park has 5or6. In Walnut Creek Park, it is always a good
                idea to
                > waypoint your car and turn on your track log. The trail system in
                that park
                > is extensive and looks like a plate of Spaghetti. There are also a
                lot of
                > caches in Emma Long Park and Dick Nichols Park in south Austin.
                There are a
                > lot of great caches I missed, hopefully you will get some feedback
                from some
                > other cachers on their favorites as well.
                >
                > Again, welcome to the city,
                > Wayne

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • Megindler@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                  But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin! ;o) Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
                  Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within the next three days or so.

                  Mo

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

                    We had so much fun on NYE we would love to join anyone for a night cache !  Keep us posted!
                    Tropical Diva aka Karen of Team Parrothead

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

                      Big Mo? You are on the hook now. I am so ready for a night cache I can hardly stand it.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                        Have you tried day caching while wearing a blindfold?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
                          I'm like to try again for a night cache. Please invite me.
                          Shelly

                          On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 06:47 PM, Megindler@... wrote:

                          > But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin!  ;o)
                          > Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
                          > Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within
                          > the next three days or so.
                          >
                          > Mo
                          >

                          > You picked the right side of town that’s for sure. Remember to stay
                          > out of North Austin after dark. Don’t want to wind up at some place
                          > like Cool River or some other place like it.  J

                          <image.tiff>

                          <image.tiff>

                        • Grajek
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004

                            Lol. No but I think I may. Lord knows I have done dumber things  J

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                              Too bad you're south!!! There are some great, long hikes in the
                              Georgetown area if you make it out this way sometime. I have taken
                              my dog on most of them. These are all located on the trail system
                              that goes around Lake Georgetown - (approx 16 miles). You can check
                              out these:

                              Dr.Harry O2 - about 5 miles round trip
                              For Miles and Miles - I had to leave my dog behind for the last 100
                              yds or so, but she was ready for the rest!! You can also pick up
                              Camp Tejas on the way
                              I Can See for Miles and Miles - nice, flat walk
                              Carnaval Cache and How Do You Measure Up can both be picked up on a
                              several mile hike out of Russell Park. Word to the wise - Don't
                              stay past dark or your car gets locked in and you have to call
                              someone to come pick you and your 8 yr old son up!!!!! Or sweet-talk
                              the caretaker into coming and letting you out of the park!!!!!

                              I'm sooooo glad to be back in town - and ready to cache again!!!

                              Alyson

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "shylock_n_fiona"

                            • Henry Rohlfs
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
                                Sometimes I FEEL like I'm looking for a cache while blindfolded!
                                -DD

                                >>> jgrajek@... 01/03/04 12:10 AM >>>
                                Lol. No but I think I may. Lord knows I have done dumber things :-)

                                Have you tried day caching while wearing a blindfold?
                                Big Mo? You are on the hook now. I am so ready for a night cache I can
                                hardly stand it.

                                We had so much fun on NYE we would love to join anyone for a night cache
                                ! Keep us posted!
                                Tropical Diva aka Karen of Team Parrothead
                                But, if you'd like any culture, come on up here to North Austin! ;o)
                                Absolutely joking, South Austin is waaay cool.
                                Let us know about night caching, we will be doing one or two within the
                                next three days or so.

                                Mo

                                You picked the right side of town that's for sure. Remember to stay out
                                of North Austin after dark. Don't want to wind up at some place like
                                Cool River or some other place like it. J

                                _____

                                scribe>

                                _____

                                scribe>