Cache Rating System

  • semperquestio
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2010
      Jeremy made this announcement today on the Feedback site...

      "We will complete our first attempt at a rating system by the end of the month. In lieu of a generic (and IMO unhelpful) 1-5 star rating system we have decided to let people rate a percentage of their finds as their favorites.

      This favorite count will then be displayed on the cache listing. The beta feature will initially be introduced to Premium Members but will eventually be opened up to all users.

      We will also be exploring other ways to identify the best caches to encourage quality. Quality of the game is one of the major themes for 2011."

      The full topic can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/39h6aux
    • Mark Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2010
        On 12/9/2010 1:52 PM, semperquestio wrote:
        [...] we have decided to let people rate a percentage of their finds as their favorites.

        Hmm... Does that mean you can "like" more caches if you have a higher find count?  Wonder what the percentage is going to look like.  I'm for this.  Hopefully, it will spur cache hiders to put in that extra effort when thinking about cache containers, locations, cache page write ups, etc.  Plus, it will be good for travelings caches in that they can easily snag a PQ and see the "must find" caches in any given area.

        Mark
        (BewareOfPenguin)

      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2010
          Yeah, it sounds to me like you will be able to indicate a cache you found is one of your favorites and only a certain percentage (2%? 5%? 10%?) of your finds can be marked as favorites. It will be interesting to see how this is applied to the cache pages and then made available as selection criteria in PQs or passed on in the GPX.

          I could see them doing something even as simple as dividing the number of finds on a cache by the number of selections as a favorite to come up with a rating. This rating could then be used in PQ's.

          Of course, it will take time before the ratings have enough data collected to be truly meaningful.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Benson <bewareofpenguin@...> wrote:

          > On 12/9/2010 1:52 PM, semperquestio wrote:
          > > [...] we have decided to let people rate a percentage of their finds
          > > as their favorites.
          >
          > Hmm... Does that mean you can "like" more caches if you have a higher
          > find count? Wonder what the percentage is going to look like. I'm for
          > this. Hopefully, it will spur cache hiders to put in that extra effort
          > when thinking about cache containers, locations, cache page write ups,
          > etc. Plus, it will be good for travelings caches in that they can
          > easily snag a PQ and see the "must find" caches in any given area.
          >
          > Mark
          > (BewareOfPenguin)

        • Matthew A
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 14, 2010
            The rating system sounds interesting. I also hope this brings more hides that encourage creativity. Waiting to see more information about this enhancement.

            mda_taz