Re: Groundspeak Souvenirs

  • semperquestio
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
      Oh! That! OK.

      I'm pretty sure that refers to some souvenirs only being available for a certain period of time. For instance, all the 10/10/10 souvenirs were only available to those how found a cache or attended an event on that date. Same for the 7/4/10 event in Seattle and whatever other events or special occasions Groundspeak wants to award souvenirs for.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jana Iannello <cybercat@...> wrote:

      > On 12/3/2010 10:12 AM, semperquestio wrote
      >

      > Souvenirs are virtual pieces of art that you can discover and display on
      > your profile page. They are associated with a particular location and
      > may also be bound by time.
      >
      > That was on the email from Groundspeak. Not sure what they mean by
      > 'bound by time'......... I didn't even realize they had excluded
      > locationless.
      >

      > > I'm not really sure what you are asking, but I assume the exclusion of
      > > the locationless caches was done for two reasons.
      > >
      > > First, the idea of souvenirs (as I understand it) is to make an award
      > > for somewhere you've been. Locationless caches don't fit this bill, so
      > > they were excluded.
      > >
      > > Second, eliminating locationless caches also reduces the server
      > > workload and run time of the retroactive awarding process.
      > >
      > > SQ/HW
      > >
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>, Jana Iannello
      > > <cybercat@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > On 12/3/2010 10:05 AM, semperquestio wrote:
      > > >
      > > > what do you suppose that means that they are 'bound by time' ?

      > > Cool.

      > > souvenir.

      > > caches.

      > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>

      > > found this

      > > <http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=272>
      > > <http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=272>>

      > > that the US
      > > > > >

      > > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs
      > > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs>
      > >

      > > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs
      > > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs>>>
      > > appears

      > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>

    • Mrs. Captain Picard
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
        You know, I used to be interested in the unique geocoin icons, but after a while I got so many that I couldn't figure out if I had an icon or not and it took so long to scroll up and down.  I just lost interest.  Is there anything about the souvenir that is going to be different?  I can imagine getting one for every state, but then are they going to be in alphabetical order or in order that you found those states or any other order that matters?    Is there going to be a function for them or is this another "Friends" deal where you gather friends, but then what.....?

        I hate to be a pessimist, so someone show me the light!

        In the forums is a thread with a post (#10) giving the order that the US State souvenirs have been/will be released, http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs. Texas is #28 on the list. New York is #11; it appears to be the latest one released since #12 is North Carolina, which I have not yet received and I have cached there.

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
          Yup, I got a New York State one.
          =smile=
          Very kind of 'em!

          BarbJ another icon for the profile Tygress

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
            On 12/3/2010 10:21 AM, Mrs. Captain Picard wrote:

            I would guess it's just another 'collecting' game, like who has the most icons, who has the most souvenirs, who has the most caches, who has the most counties,  who has the most friends on Facebook..........:-)      so the person to try to keep up with, if you want to play the souvenir game, is probably Jeremy, who will know in advance which events or places will receive them..........
            there probably is no 'then what'..................

            Jana

            In the forums is a thread with a post (#10) giving the order that  US State souvenirs have been/will be released, http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs. Texas is #28 on the list. New York is #11; it appears to be the latest one released since #12 is North Carolina, which I have not yet received and I have cached there.

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
              I'm waiting to see what they come up with for Texas!  Souvenirs are like the items/pins you collect on Gowalla.  I'm planning to go see family in New Orleans, so I'll finally be able to get some caches in another state. :)

              Denise E. Vajdak  ><>

              The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
              http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak

              Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching!

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                Just more fun stuff in the profile for those who care.
                As you said, you were into the distinct geocoin icons until your cup ranneth over.... =smile=
                Something for everyone!

                Barb ah just say thankee kindly Tygress

                You know, I used to be interested in the unique geocoin icons, but after a while I got so many that I couldn't figure out if I had an icon or not and it took so long to scroll up and down. �I just lost interest. �Is there anything about the souvenir that is going to be different? �I can imagine getting one for every state, but then are they going to be in alphabetical order or in order that you found those states or any other order that matters? � �Is there going to be a function for them or is this another "Friends" deal where you gather friends, but then what.....? �

                I hate to be a pessimist, so someone show me the light!

                On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                I did some poking around at Groundspeak and on the forums and found this information:

                The Knowledge books states that they are being rolled out slowly: http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=272

                In the forums is a thread with a post (#10) giving the order that the US State souvenirs have been/will be released, http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs. Texas is #28 on the list. New York is #11; it appears to be the latest one released since #12 is North Carolina, which I have not yet received and I have cached there.

                No mention is made of the rational for release of the souvenirs for other countries that are listed in the post pointed to in the original message.

                +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                +-+ �What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.�

                Yep, just got a New York State one . . .

                Russ the waterweasel

                Groundspeak has commenced passing out souvenirs for past caching accomplishments.

                I just received the following message from them. Is anybody else seeing these?

                +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                +-+ �What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.�

                Congratulations! You have been awarded the Virginia State Souvenir.

                This Souvenir was retroactively awarded to you based on your Geocaching.com find history.

                Souvenirs are virtual pieces of art that you can discover and display on your profile page. They are associated with a particular location and may also be bound by time.

                Learn more about Souvenirs:

                http://www.geocaching.com/about/souvenirs.aspx

                �or view the list of all of the available Souvenirs:

                http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264608

                Happy Geocaching!

                Cheers,

                The Groundspeak Team

                Globe Life Insurance
                CoverageFor1Dollar.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                  I assume that 'bound by time' means that the souvenir is only for logging in a certain period of time.  For instance, I think I have a 101010 one.  No logs dated 10.10.10, no souvenir . . .

                  Russ the waterweasel

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                  > I did some poking around at Groundspeak and on the forums and found this
                  > information:
                  >
                  > The Knowledge books states that they are being rolled out slowly:
                  > http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=272
                  >
                  > In the forums is a thread with a post (#10) giving the order that the US
                  > State souvenirs have been/will be released,
                  > http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229
                  > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264229&hl=Souvenirs>
                  > &hl=Souvenirs. Texas is #28 on the list. New York is #11; it appears to be
                  > the latest one released since #12 is North Carolina, which I have not yet
                  > received and I have cached there.
                  >
                  > No mention is made of the rational for release of the souvenirs for other
                  > countries that are listed in the post pointed to in the original message.
                  >

                  > +-+ Jay - BingOGT
                  > |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                  > +-+ "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."
                  >
                  > _____

                • Jay Bingham
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010

                    The thread on the Groundspeak forums that I referred to earlier was started by a cacher asking about a souvenir that he received for a locationless cache that the poster had found which is currently in Georgia (or was when the Georgia souvenir was awarded) for which he was awarded the Georgia souvenir even though he had never been to Georgia. So I am not at all certain that it can be assumed that locationless caches have been excluded, if they have been excluded it would have occurred after Georgia was awarded; which is entirely possible, Georgia being #4 on the list.

                    Another way to think of “bound by time” is “associated with an event (virtual or actual)”. For example, the 10/10/10 souvenir was associated with a virtual event hence it was ‘bound by time’, to get it you had to log a cache that you found on 10/10/10, if you did not find a cache on that date you can never be awarded that souvenir. If you look at the list of souvenirs http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264608 that have been released you will see that some are associated with mega events that occurred in the past, these would also be bound by time, you had to attend the event and log it to get the souvenir. Others like the US and German state souvenirs are not bound by time anyone who has found a cache in the past that is located in a state with a souvenir will receive that souvenir, in the future those who find a cache in a state that has a souvenir will receive the souvenir when they log the first cache that they find in that state. Still others are listed as special souvenirs, some of these are associated with particular caches or locations, like the Groundspeak Headquarters, Original Cache Location and Project A.P.E. There are other souvenirs in the special list that appear to be bound by a larger time frame like a whole year: but I have not yet found any information on these. It would be nice to have those linked to something that told how to earn them.

                    +-+ Jay - BingOGT

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                      I see your point, but my experience has been quite different than that cacher's.

                      Of the first 11 States for which a souvenir was awarded, I have gotten a physical cache in GA and locationless caches based in DE, PA, GA, CT, and SC. I was awarded a souvenir for DE and GA, but not for PA , CT, or SC. Of course, this is by no means definitive and who knows what GS's search alogrithms and data selection criteria may be, but by the track record based on MY find history it would SEEM that locationless were dropped after DE (as PA was the 2nd State). But who the heck outside of Groundspeak really knows? It'll be mildly interesting to see what happens when they do the next State. It's NC and I got a locationless from there, too.

                      In any event, I'm not gonna get my knickers in a twist over it. It's kind of a cool concept and they are cool little pics, but they don't influence my caching in any way. Kinda like collecting the geocoin icons as MCP referred to. I like getting them, but I'm certainly not gonna fret over it if I miss some. :)

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                        Dang, Howard, I was looking forward to the twisted knickers dance.

                        BarbJ/Tygress

                        I see your point, but my experience has been quite different than that cacher's.

                        Of the first 11 States for which a souvenir was awarded, I have gotten a physical cache in GA and locationless caches based in DE, PA, GA, CT, and SC.  I was awarded a souvenir for DE and GA, but not for PA , CT, or SC.  Of course, this is by no means definitive and who knows what GS's search alogrithms and data selection criteria may be, but by the track record based on MY find history it would SEEM that locationless were dropped after DE (as PA was the 2nd State).  But who the heck outside of Groundspeak really knows?  It'll be mildly interesting to see what happens when they do the next State.  It's NC and I got a locationless from there, too.

                        In any event, I'm not gonna get my knickers in a twist over it.  It's kind of a cool concept and they are cool little pics, but they don't influence my caching in any way.  Kinda like collecting the geocoin icons as MCP referred to.  I like getting them, but I'm certainly not gonna fret over it if I miss some.  :)

                        SQ/HW

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                        > The thread on the Groundspeak forums that I referred to earlier was started
                        > by a cacher asking about a souvenir that he received for a locationless
                        > cache that the poster had found which is currently in Georgia (or was when
                        > the Georgia souvenir was awarded) for which he was awarded the Georgia
                        > souvenir even though he had never been to Georgia. So I am not at all
                        > certain that it can be assumed that locationless caches have been excluded,
                        > if they have been excluded it would have occurred after Georgia was awarded;
                        > which is entirely possible, Georgia being #4 on the list.

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:

                        SHOCKING: 2010 Honda Civic for $1,734.09
                        SPECIAL REPORT: High ticket items are being...
                        memphisgazette.com
                      • semperquestio
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                          Nah. You don't wanna see that. NOBODY wants to see that!

                          > Dang, Howard, I was looking forward to the twisted knickers dance. BarbJ/Tygress

                        • Watts_tx
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                            Yes I just received them for several states.

                            Watts_TX

                            Jason Watts

                            Sent via iPhone.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 3, 2010
                              SPLURT.... dang, that's gonna take a rag.

                              BarbJ - WAS drinking coffee - Tygress

                              Nah.  You don't wanna see that.  NOBODY wants to see that!

                              > Dang, Howard, I was looking forward to the twisted knickers dance.  BarbJ/Tygress

                              Refinance Now 3.4% FIXED
                              $160,000 Mortgage: $547/mo. No Hidden Fees. No SSN Req. Get 4 Quotes!
                              Mortgage.LendGo.com
                            • lowracer
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 5, 2010
                                I got my New Jersey souvenir! Totally forgot I'd cached the abandoned Essex Mountain Sanitorium grounds there.