What do you think of other geocaching websites?

  • banda_geocacher
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28 6:31 AM
      I'm curious what you all think about having and using other geocaching web sites. There are 3 in the U.S. that I know of:

      http://www.terracaching.com/
      http://www.opencaching.us/index.php
      and now it is rumored that Garmin is setting up a site here:
      http://www.opencaching.com/

      How many of you are aware of these alternate sites? How many have used them? Do you think having competition for Geocaching.com is a good thing or a bad thing?

      Brent

      (BandA)
    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28 10:18 PM

        Brent,

        You missed www.navicache.com

        Here is my take on other cache sites. While I applaud the effort to provide some competition, I think that unless they offer something that geocaching.com does not offer they will ultimately not be successful.

        I feel that way, because the other sites do not have as many caches listed, and some of the caches listed on them are also listed on geocaching.com.

        Here is what I found:

        On opencaching.us site a search for caches within 100 miles of my home coords returned 25 caches. The closest is 18.8 miles away, the second closest is 24.6 miles, and the third is 29.5, the same search on geocaching.com returns 9330 caches (the closest is just over 117 yards away). On geocaching.com there are 1148 active caches that I can find within 18.8 miles from my home coords that I have not yet found (including the one listed on opencaching.us). In fact all of the three closest caches to my home coords are also listed on geocaching.com. (Cross posting appears to be encouraged here, they even have the links to other cache sites on their cache pages).

        The Terracaching.com site has more caches that are closer to my home coordinates but again there are not that many caches, this site is hard to quantify because the interface is different and without being a sponsored member I could see no way to get a list of caches within 100 miles of my home coordinates. This site appears to discourage cross posting of caches that are posted on other sites. It is not prohibited; so if you can convince your sponsor to approve it then it is ok. I saw some that were cross posted or perhaps just coincidental duplicates. This site asserts that the caches listed on it are higher quality than those at other sites i.e. geocaching.com. Since they have been around for five years I think that they have the best chance of surviving in the niche that they have claimed.

        Navicache.com appears to have been around a long time, but I could not tell for sure how long or if that was just appears that way because some of the caches listed there are cross posted. I counted about 139 listed in the central Texas area using the map function. Not many close to my home coords.

        So the bottom line for me when I do the math is, even though I may have to wade through some goober caches, if I am going to go to a web site looking for caches to find I am going to go to the one with the most caches that are close to my home coords. Similarly when I plan a trip I am going to go to the site that has the greatest possibility of listing caches that will not require me to drive too far out of my way or take too long to find while traveling and will be convenient when I arrive at my destination. Not being an ubercacher, I have not yet done any trips long trips just to go caching and only a few short local ones just to go caching, generally my caching is done on my way to or from places that I am going for some other purpose.

        +-+ Jay - BingOGT

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29 6:18 AM
          Howdy Jay,
          Thanks so much for all the info on other geocaching sites. I knew there was a reason that I didn't want to try anything other than GC.com.
          I appreciate you doing my homework for me!
          Sincerely,
          Esther/BGTx

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29 8:54 AM
            I have caches on GC.com and Opencaching.us.  Some are cross-posted around the Brazos Valley.  Some are only on one site or the other.  My "Premium Member" caches on GC are not cross-posted.  My Letterboxes are also cross-posted to Atlas Quest with walking directions added.  (I love letterboxes with GPS coords).

            OCUS just started up in August, so of course they are not going to have as many caches - yet - until we all start adding them.  OCUS allows virtual caches, moving caches, mp3 caches, guest book caches and a new type of Dead Drop cache.  When you place a cache there, you have the option of putting a password on the cache listing so that the finder must enter the password before they can even log the find.  That's great for virtuals and such.  Eliminates the need for someone to email the answer to you (if you have only one criteria).

            Sometimes it's good to have a little competition.  It seems people have been begging for virtuals on GC for MONTHS and they are saying that it'll still be "next year" before we get them.  OCUS has them NOW.  If you mention "Pathtags" or something that's not exactly GroundSpeak, you don't get blasted on the forums, either.

            Now, there isn't an OCUS app for Android or iphone yet, but you can download the GPX files to your GPSr.  There is a different kind of trackable to use in OCUS and I haven't looked it too much.

            Denise E. Vajdak  ><>

            The Gourmet Cupboard / Popcorn Shirts
            http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak

            Not all who wander are lost. Let's go geocaching!

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29 9:03 PM
              I just saw this on the Terracaching Forum. Looks like after quite a few years of operation, they may be shutting down.

              "It is no secret that AngryKid has been working on recoding terracaching.com for years. Users' interest has suffered the same fate, in the face of unmet expectations to completely retool the site. In any situation like this, the evaluation must be made whether or not continue. In this case, the AngryKid's decision is that he will not continue.

              Assuming that there is no other interest in taking over the terracaching.com, as of December 31st, 2010, the site will shut down. Any premium memberships still in effect at that time will be refunded for the balance of their remaining duration.

              Thank you for your participation, cooperation, patience, and involvement in this community.

              That being said, if there is interest in either assuming the site, or being part of a community that assumes control and development of the site, email scotto@.... I will help facilitate that reorganization."
            • banda_geocacher
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010