The chirps

  • iphoneaddictipa
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 26, 2010
      I am possibly looking at driving down to Austin from Killeen to knock out some of the newer chirp beacon caches either Saturday or Sunday. They look fun and was wondering if anyone else in that area was interested. I think that only users of the oregons and 60 CSX series are eligible to run it though.

      John
      "Iphoneaddict"
    • banda_geocacher
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 26, 2010
        Here is a list of compatible units:
        https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#productTab
        The 60csX will not work.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "iphoneaddictipa" <iphoneaddictipa@...> wrote:

        > I am possibly looking at driving down to Austin from Killeen to knock out some of the newer chirp beacon caches either Saturday or Sunday. They look fun and was wondering if anyone else in that area was interested. I think that only users of the oregons and 60 CSX series are eligible to run it though.
        >
        > John
        > "Iphoneaddict"

      • iphoneaddictipa
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2010
          Thanks for the updated info. I had a chance to do the new types of caches today and was impressed with it. Even had a chance to go to REI and pick up a chirp to bring back to Killeen. As soon as I play around with it a little and figure out what I can do with it I will place one in my neck of the woods.
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

          > Here is a list of compatible units:
          > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#productTab
          > The 60csX will not work.
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "iphoneaddictipa" <iphoneaddictipa@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am possibly looking at driving down to Austin from Killeen to knock out some of the newer chirp beacon caches either Saturday or Sunday. They look fun and was wondering if anyone else in that area was interested. I think that only users of the oregons and 60 CSX series are eligible to run it though.
          > >
          > > John
          > > "Iphoneaddict"

        • Jana Iannello
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
            On 11/27/2010 7:17 PM, iphoneaddictipa wrote:

            I must have missed something............what is a chirp beacon cache?  And where are the new chirping caches?

            Thanks for the updated info. I had a chance to do the new types of caches today and was impressed with it. Even had a chance to go to REI and pick up a chirp to bring back to Killeen. As soon as I play around with it a little and figure out what I can do with it I will place one in my neck of the woods.
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

            > Here is a list of compatible units:
            > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#productTab
            > The 60csX will not work.
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "iphoneaddictipa" <iphoneaddictipa@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am possibly looking at driving down to Austin from Killeen to knock out some of the newer chirp beacon caches either Saturday or Sunday. They look fun and was wondering if anyone else in that area was interested. I think that only users of the oregons and 60 CSX series are eligible to run it though.
            > >
            > > John
            > > "Iphoneaddict"

          • banda_geocacher
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
              Here's what is it:
              https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#featureTab
              And here are the ones I know of in Austin:
              http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2a77f3ed-a7cc-4ff5-8c2b-b758879c1227

              Brent (BandA)

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jana Iannello <cybercat@...> wrote:

              > On 11/27/2010 7:17 PM, iphoneaddictipa wrote:
              >
              > I must have missed something............what is a chirp beacon cache?
              > And where are the new chirping caches?
              > >

              > > Thanks for the updated info. I had a chance to do the new types of
              > > caches today and was impressed with it. Even had a chance to go to REI
              > > and pick up a chirp to bring back to Killeen. As soon as I play around
              > > with it a little and figure out what I can do with it I will place one
              > > in my neck of the woods.
              > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>, "banda_geocacher"
              > > <banda@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Here is a list of compatible units:
              > > > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#productTab
              > > > The 60csX will not work.
              > > >
              > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>, "iphoneaddictipa"

              > > knock out some of the newer chirp beacon caches either Saturday or
              > > Sunday. They look fun and was wondering if anyone else in that area
              > > was interested. I think that only users of the oregons and 60 CSX
              > > series are eligible to run it though.

            • softscienceofficer
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
                Thanks for the info, Brent. I hadn't heard of these before--looks like a neat twist on the game. In my view, though, these should be considered a whole new type of geocache, with its own icon. They're different from a puzzle, and require special equipment. It does look fun, though--basically, a "you're getting warmer" variant.

                Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

                > Here's what is it:
                > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#featureTab
                > And here are the ones I know of in Austin:
                > http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2a77f3ed-a7cc-4ff5-8c2b-b758879c1227
                >
                > Brent (BandA)
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jana Iannello <cybercat@> wrote:
                > >
                > > On 11/27/2010 7:17 PM, iphoneaddictipa wrote:
                > >
                > > I must have missed something............what is a chirp beacon cache?
                > > And where are the new chirping caches?
                > > >

                > > > Thanks for the updated info. I had a chance to do the new types of
                > > > caches today and was impressed with it. Even had a chance to go to REI
                > > > and pick up a chirp to bring back to Killeen. As soon as I play around
                > > > with it a little and figure out what I can do with it I will place one
                > > > in my neck of the woods.
                > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                > > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>, "banda_geocacher"

                > > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>, "iphoneaddictipa"

                > > > knock out some of the newer chirp beacon caches either Saturday or
                > > > Sunday. They look fun and was wondering if anyone else in that area
                > > > was interested. I think that only users of the oregons and 60 CSX
                > > > series are eligible to run it though.

              • banda_geocacher
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
                  Yes, the folks at gc.com discussed making it it's own type of cache, but instead decided to just give it it's own attribute. It's a really neat idea, I just wish it was available to a wider range of gps units. ie-other brands.

                  Brent

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the info, Brent. I hadn't heard of these before--looks like a neat twist on the game. In my view, though, these should be considered a whole new type of geocache, with its own icon. They're different from a puzzle, and require special equipment. It does look fun, though--basically, a "you're getting warmer" variant.
                  >
                  > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer
                  >

                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Here's what is it:
                  > > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#featureTab
                  > > And here are the ones I know of in Austin:
                  > > http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2a77f3ed-a7cc-4ff5-8c2b-b758879c1227
                  > >
                  > > Brent (BandA)
                  > >
                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jana Iannello <cybercat@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > On 11/27/2010 7:17 PM, iphoneaddictipa wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I must have missed something............what is a chirp beacon cache?
                  > > > And where are the new chirping caches?

                • iphoneaddict_ipa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
                    There are 3 chirp beacon caches in Austin area: GC 2GX9Z, gc2gx8p, and gc2gx81 off of wells branch parkway next to I35. They gave me some good ideas. I used my chirp as a test project with the kids last night playing hide and seek with it putting in clues and they loved it.

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, the folks at gc.com discussed making it it's own type of cache, but instead decided to just give it it's own attribute. It's a really neat idea, I just wish it was available to a wider range of gps units. ie-other brands.
                    >
                    > Brent
                    >
                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the info, Brent. I hadn't heard of these before--looks like a neat twist on the game. In my view, though, these should be considered a whole new type of geocache, with its own icon. They're different from a puzzle, and require special equipment. It does look fun, though--basically, a "you're getting warmer" variant.
                    > >
                    > > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer
                    > >

                    > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Here's what is it:
                    > > > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#featureTab
                    > > > And here are the ones I know of in Austin:
                    > > > http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2a77f3ed-a7cc-4ff5-8c2b-b758879c1227
                    > > >
                    > > > Brent (BandA)

                  • djdirkdiggla
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2010
                      Dang! I thought you meant these kinda chirps! hahah :P
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kojo5khAAS0&feature=related

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the info, Brent. I hadn't heard of these before--looks like a neat twist on the game. In my view, though, these should be considered a whole new type of geocache, with its own icon. They're different from a puzzle, and require special equipment. It does look fun, though--basically, a "you're getting warmer" variant.
                      >
                      > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer
                      >

                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Here's what is it:
                      > > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#featureTab
                      > > And here are the ones I know of in Austin:
                      > > http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2a77f3ed-a7cc-4ff5-8c2b-b758879c1227
                      > >
                      > > Brent (BandA)
                      > >
                      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jana Iannello <cybercat@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > On 11/27/2010 7:17 PM, iphoneaddictipa wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I must have missed something............what is a chirp beacon cache?
                      > > > And where are the new chirping caches?

                    • banda_geocacher
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
                        no, this chirp: http://tinyurl.com/25etzc3

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "djdirkdiggla" <dirkvanderploeg@...> wrote:

                        > Dang! I thought you meant these kinda chirps! hahah :P
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kojo5khAAS0&feature=related
                        >
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the info, Brent. I hadn't heard of these before--looks like a neat twist on the game. In my view, though, these should be considered a whole new type of geocache, with its own icon. They're different from a puzzle, and require special equipment. It does look fun, though--basically, a "you're getting warmer" variant.
                        > >
                        > > Ed/SoftScienceOfficer
                        > >

                        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Here's what is it:
                        > > > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#featureTab
                        > > > And here are the ones I know of in Austin:
                        > > > http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2a77f3ed-a7cc-4ff5-8c2b-b758879c1227
                        > > >
                        > > > Brent (BandA)

                      • djdirkdiggla
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
                          I didn't know those were already in production!