Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

  • Danielle Skelton
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
      Ive seen several FTFs logged around here by people that never even signed the log.  Then again, a lot of people cant seem to find any caches without the Cache Owner telling them exactly where it is.

      Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem/Danielle

      On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

      Don't even get me started!

      I know of geocachers (no one from around here) that take turns getting each others FTFs as well as claiming a find on their own caches when they go perform maintenance!

      But the bottom line, as many have already mentioned, everyone plays their own way.

      E/BGTx

    • Esther Lopez
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
        Dear Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem,
        I am not sure which cache(s) you might be refering to, but thanks to your comment I was reminded of my cache,  Rusty's Crossing
        (GC260HD). I just changed an error on it's FTFs. By some extremely strange circumstances that I cannot comprehend much less explain, there were TWO caches within three inches of each other at GZ. They were almost identical in type, color and size.
        That explains how two sets of cachers each  found a clean log and later wondered why someone else was claiming the FTF.
        Sorry it took me so long to correct my oversight!

        E/BGTx

      • palbers@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 9, 2010
          All this talk of FTFs is getting me fired up to start racing for them. I've
          been slacking recently, but love when others develope the passion for the
          FTF. I've met more cachers at FTFs over the years than any other time. It is
          a great place to have an ad hoc geo-event. If I know someone is on there
          way to the FTF, I will sit at the parking coords or park near the cache and
          wait. I would much rather have a co-FTF than a solo FTF any day. I know this
          isn't how some play the game, but to me it just more fun to share in on the
          excitement of being there to find it first. When I first stated racing for
          the FTFs ( against GeoMire, Stratman, Filler & Bcat, Moosiegirl, ... ) there
          was a time when the person to actually find the cache, even with the whole
          group searching for the cache, claimed the FTF. That could be thrilling or
          frustrating, but it doesn't really foster friendship building as it does to
          work together. Again, my own opinion here. Since, there isn't an official
          FTF stat, it is about having fun.

          I do enjoy trying to find the cache in the state that the cache hider intended
          the finder to find it. Caches tend to change, sometimes quite drastically over
          time ( some even have geo-trails right to where the cache is hidden :). Ok,
          I also like opening the log and seeing it blank too...

          Over the years of going for FTFs, I have to say, I appreciate a reasonably quick
          FTF log. I try to do the same, but have had instances where I got an FTF while
          out power caching and haven't been able to log until I got home some twenty hours
          later. It happens. I've also gotten a kitchen pass, along with GeoMire and drove
          to Waco to find that whole strings of caches had been found days earlier. They
          were wanting to increase traffic to caches, by not logging, but is sure cost us
          time, gas and a kitchen pass. Again, to each their own, but I very much appreciate
          the log.

          As for the main reason for this email thread... Claim that find as an FTF on your
          personal stats. This count is for you only and to me, that other person was a beta
          tester and gets to log the cache at some point. As others have mentioned, typically
          a co-hider will wait until after the FTF is logged to log their find, but that doesn't
          always happen. Also, experience also comes into play. It is good to leave the top
          spot blank or create an FTF box for the real FTF person to sign. This way when that
          first finder comes and sees other signatures on the log, they quickly realize those
          other signatures were for those that hid the cache with the cache 'owner' and you
          still get to claim the FTF.

          I look forward to hopefully crossing paths with many of you in the future on an FTF
          attempt.

          Oh, and keep hiding those caches. I may not be an adrenaline junky, but boy do I love
          that adrenaline rush you get when going out after a potential FTF. :)

          -paul
          HiDude_98