Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

  • Esther Lopez
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010

      Don't even get me started!

      I know of geocachers (no one from around here) that take turns getting each others FTFs as well as claiming a find on their own caches when they go perform maintenance!

      But the bottom line, as many have already mentioned, everyone plays their own way.

      E/BGTx

    • Danielle Skelton

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
          Dear Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem,
          I am not sure which cache(s) you might be refering to, but thanks to your comment I was reminded of my cache,  Rusty's Crossing
          (GC260HD). I just changed an error on it's FTFs. By some extremely strange circumstances that I cannot comprehend much less explain, there were TWO caches within three inches of each other at GZ. They were almost identical in type, color and size.
          That explains how two sets of cachers each  found a clean log and later wondered why someone else was claiming the FTF.
          Sorry it took me so long to correct my oversight!

          E/BGTx

        • palbers@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 9, 2010
            All this talk of FTFs is getting me fired up to start racing for them. I've
            been slacking recently, but love when others develope the passion for the
            FTF. I've met more cachers at FTFs over the years than any other time. It is
            a great place to have an ad hoc geo-event. If I know someone is on there
            way to the FTF, I will sit at the parking coords or park near the cache and
            wait. I would much rather have a co-FTF than a solo FTF any day. I know this
            isn't how some play the game, but to me it just more fun to share in on the
            excitement of being there to find it first. When I first stated racing for
            the FTFs ( against GeoMire, Stratman, Filler & Bcat, Moosiegirl, ... ) there
            was a time when the person to actually find the cache, even with the whole
            group searching for the cache, claimed the FTF. That could be thrilling or
            frustrating, but it doesn't really foster friendship building as it does to
            work together. Again, my own opinion here. Since, there isn't an official
            FTF stat, it is about having fun.

            I do enjoy trying to find the cache in the state that the cache hider intended
            the finder to find it. Caches tend to change, sometimes quite drastically over
            time ( some even have geo-trails right to where the cache is hidden :). Ok,
            I also like opening the log and seeing it blank too...

            Over the years of going for FTFs, I have to say, I appreciate a reasonably quick
            FTF log. I try to do the same, but have had instances where I got an FTF while
            out power caching and haven't been able to log until I got home some twenty hours
            later. It happens. I've also gotten a kitchen pass, along with GeoMire and drove
            to Waco to find that whole strings of caches had been found days earlier. They
            were wanting to increase traffic to caches, by not logging, but is sure cost us
            time, gas and a kitchen pass. Again, to each their own, but I very much appreciate
            the log.

            As for the main reason for this email thread... Claim that find as an FTF on your
            personal stats. This count is for you only and to me, that other person was a beta
            tester and gets to log the cache at some point. As others have mentioned, typically
            a co-hider will wait until after the FTF is logged to log their find, but that doesn't
            always happen. Also, experience also comes into play. It is good to leave the top
            spot blank or create an FTF box for the real FTF person to sign. This way when that
            first finder comes and sees other signatures on the log, they quickly realize those
            other signatures were for those that hid the cache with the cache 'owner' and you
            still get to claim the FTF.

            I look forward to hopefully crossing paths with many of you in the future on an FTF
            attempt.

            Oh, and keep hiding those caches. I may not be an adrenaline junky, but boy do I love
            that adrenaline rush you get when going out after a potential FTF. :)

            -paul
            HiDude_98