RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
      re: elog order...

      In some cases, when many folks are finding a cache within hours, we have the designation FTL -- First to Log... =smile= doesn't win you anything except your own dance in the electronicsphere. But, hey, an' it hurt none.

      When we have FTF'd, we've tried to log at least a placeholder in a hurry, so folks do know the gig is up. But some don't realize that there is that traffic out there and don't think to. It's perspective, I suppose.

      More fun, eh?

      BarbJ/Tygress

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
        Thanks Ed :) Looking forward to you getting back in the FTF game :D
        Yeah, I recently became a premium member--one of the reasons being the new cache notices... This particular instance happened on what I thought was going to be my first-FTF. I went out in that huge storm a couple months back and was dangling over the flooding river from a tree and... well you know the rest--I was beaten there by someone with 5 finds to their name. Didn't seem strange until the CO told me it was a friend but I still had a great time getting STF so didn't think about it again until the other day when I was talking to ogshowtime. showtime hides a lot of my caches with me but I fill out the form so I get the notification when someone finds it. I used to forward everyone to him but eventually just setup a filter. He's not very interested in actually finding caches for whatever reason so he never went premium. However, since he gets all my geocache emails forwarded to him automatically, he was getting the FTF notices.... What i found interesting tho, was that he was unable to view the new cache right away! Thats what made me think back and wonder if this guy had not been able to log his find for a few days because he wasn't even supposed to have access yet but had been given the coords by the CO... anyways, I'm not mad or anything of course, but had just wondered.

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
          Also, when I know that I wasn't FTF but find myself first to log, I try to state that and (if I remember correctly) try to identify the FTF.

          Russ the waterweasel

        • shawnolsen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
            Dirk, Remember this is your game, you win because you went outside and you FOUND the cache!  Don't let the actions of others get in your way of having fun! Is it fun to see Ed, Paul, Jim, Keith, Arnaud, Rick or you on the trail absolutely that is what it is all about, getting a FTF while fun is it really that important?

            that said.....
            Paul's phone is RED and has a direct link to some secret server @ HQ in Groundspeakland.

            Cache on and someone put some new caches closer to my house than 15 miles already!!!!

            Shawn/s6sputnik

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
              Your scenario certainly happens. But mostly a minority.
              and it does chafe -- especially when you risk life and limb for that FTF. [As you say: Memorable, though!!!!]
              =sympathy!=

              BarbJ/Tygress

> [...]

              > Cheers,
              > Ed/SSO
              >

              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "djdirkdiggla" <dirkvanderploeg@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I know that regular members don't get new cache notifications and started thinking about this one where i hustled like crazy to get to and a member had been there and signed first. They didn't log it for 3 days later... I started to wonder if there was a grace period of exclusivity for premium members... then to top it off, the CO emailed me apologizing for the delay in the FTFer logging and told me they were actually friends with them... made me put things together and figure the CO had given the regular member the coords ahead of time... anyways, it kinda annoyed me because I went after it in a huge storm and feel like I kinda got jerked around... I'm over it but still wondered.

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                SPLURT!
                It's ok, ED, the screen needed cleaning anyway.

                ((Nobody is, dear, and after Tygress logging every ET, I'm thinking even I'm not sure I want to be... FINGER CRAMP!!!! BRAIN mush!!!!))

                Keep logging uniquely in your own style. That's the E-ticket!

                -B/Tygress

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010

                  Don't even get me started!

                  I know of geocachers (no one from around here) that take turns getting each others FTFs as well as claiming a find on their own caches when they go perform maintenance!

                  But the bottom line, as many have already mentioned, everyone plays their own way.

                  E/BGTx

                • Danielle Skelton

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                      Dear Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem,
                      I am not sure which cache(s) you might be refering to, but thanks to your comment I was reminded of my cache,  Rusty's Crossing
                      (GC260HD). I just changed an error on it's FTFs. By some extremely strange circumstances that I cannot comprehend much less explain, there were TWO caches within three inches of each other at GZ. They were almost identical in type, color and size.
                      That explains how two sets of cachers each  found a clean log and later wondered why someone else was claiming the FTF.
                      Sorry it took me so long to correct my oversight!

                      E/BGTx

                    • palbers@austin.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 9, 2010
                        All this talk of FTFs is getting me fired up to start racing for them. I've
                        been slacking recently, but love when others develope the passion for the
                        FTF. I've met more cachers at FTFs over the years than any other time. It is
                        a great place to have an ad hoc geo-event. If I know someone is on there
                        way to the FTF, I will sit at the parking coords or park near the cache and
                        wait. I would much rather have a co-FTF than a solo FTF any day. I know this
                        isn't how some play the game, but to me it just more fun to share in on the
                        excitement of being there to find it first. When I first stated racing for
                        the FTFs ( against GeoMire, Stratman, Filler & Bcat, Moosiegirl, ... ) there
                        was a time when the person to actually find the cache, even with the whole
                        group searching for the cache, claimed the FTF. That could be thrilling or
                        frustrating, but it doesn't really foster friendship building as it does to
                        work together. Again, my own opinion here. Since, there isn't an official
                        FTF stat, it is about having fun.

                        I do enjoy trying to find the cache in the state that the cache hider intended
                        the finder to find it. Caches tend to change, sometimes quite drastically over
                        time ( some even have geo-trails right to where the cache is hidden :). Ok,
                        I also like opening the log and seeing it blank too...

                        Over the years of going for FTFs, I have to say, I appreciate a reasonably quick
                        FTF log. I try to do the same, but have had instances where I got an FTF while
                        out power caching and haven't been able to log until I got home some twenty hours
                        later. It happens. I've also gotten a kitchen pass, along with GeoMire and drove
                        to Waco to find that whole strings of caches had been found days earlier. They
                        were wanting to increase traffic to caches, by not logging, but is sure cost us
                        time, gas and a kitchen pass. Again, to each their own, but I very much appreciate
                        the log.

                        As for the main reason for this email thread... Claim that find as an FTF on your
                        personal stats. This count is for you only and to me, that other person was a beta
                        tester and gets to log the cache at some point. As others have mentioned, typically
                        a co-hider will wait until after the FTF is logged to log their find, but that doesn't
                        always happen. Also, experience also comes into play. It is good to leave the top
                        spot blank or create an FTF box for the real FTF person to sign. This way when that
                        first finder comes and sees other signatures on the log, they quickly realize those
                        other signatures were for those that hid the cache with the cache 'owner' and you
                        still get to claim the FTF.

                        I look forward to hopefully crossing paths with many of you in the future on an FTF
                        attempt.

                        Oh, and keep hiding those caches. I may not be an adrenaline junky, but boy do I love
                        that adrenaline rush you get when going out after a potential FTF. :)

                        -paul
                        HiDude_98