Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

Expand Messages
  • electric_water_boy
    My 1 cent (you re getting less because of inflation - pennies don t go as far as they used to...) On the way to GW VIII we hit some caches in New Mexico that
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      My 1 cent (you're getting less because of inflation - pennies don't go as far as they used to...)

      On the way to GW VIII we hit some caches in New Mexico that had signatures and log dates that didn't match, and all had dates before the cache was published. The CO had let some friends find the cache. The CO told us we could log the FTF.

      Someone else hit up on how the order of the logs on GC doesn't always reflect the FTF. In GSAK you mark the cache as FTF. So, if someone was really that desperate for FTFs, they could mark whatever caches they wanted as FTF (or all for that matter). There's nothing anyone could really do about it. It's an honor system.

      I've logged one cache from near a cache site with my Crackberry. That was a pain, so it'll be a long time before I do it again.

      Have to admit I don't always rush home to log an FTF. That can be a good thing for the CO. The cache should get more early visits. I do tend to log the DNFs on FTFs ASAP. That let's others know they better get moving if they want to find it, and also there there may be a problem with the cache or coordinates (cause surely there isn't anything rong with me!!!) (mispelled on purpose)

      I have the premium membership and get the notifications, but I don't have them sent to my phone. I don't want an email while I'm in a meeting telling me that there is a cache out there begging me to come find it while I'm dying in a chair listening to some Bozo saying blah, blah, blah. That would be torture.

      EWB aka Tom

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "djdirkdiggla" <dirkvanderploeg@...> wrote:
      >
      > I know that regular members don't get new cache notifications and started thinking about this one where i hustled like crazy to get to and a member had been there and signed first. They didn't log it for 3 days later... I started to wonder if there was a grace period of exclusivity for premium members... then to top it off, the CO emailed me apologizing for the delay in the FTFer logging and told me they were actually friends with them... made me put things together and figure the CO had given the regular member the coords ahead of time... anyways, it kinda annoyed me because I went after it in a huge storm and feel like I kinda got jerked around... I'm over it but still wondered.
      >
    • gumbietygress@juno.com
      re: elog order... In some cases, when many folks are finding a cache within hours, we have the designation FTL -- First to Log... =smile= doesn t win you
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        re: elog order...
         
        In some cases, when many folks are finding a cache within hours, we have the designation FTL -- First to Log... =smile= doesn't win you anything except your own dance in the electronicsphere. But, hey, an' it hurt none.
         
        When we have FTF'd, we've tried to log at least a placeholder in a hurry, so folks do know the gig is up. But some don't realize that there is that traffic out there and don't think to. It's perspective, I suppose.
         
        More fun, eh?
         
        BarbJ/Tygress

        ---------- Original Message ----------
        From: Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...>
        To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?
        Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 00:56:08 -0500

         

        Being a regular member myself I know that it is a big challenge for me to get a FTF, I have come to accept that that is the price I have to pay for not being willing/able at the present time to pay the price for a premium membership.

        As the premium members have said, they get no sneak peak before the rest of us do. Some of them just get their email sent to their phones and are ready and able at a moments notice to go hunt down a FTF. Yes, there are some folks around here that seem to always be the FTF, but on occasion some of us players of lesser ability do beat them to a cache. I have recently beaten HiDude_98 to two caches, so I can attest that it is possible.

        As for people who delay logging, that is just part of the game and you just have to learn to live with it. I have seen in the online logs of more that a few caches where the FTF log entry is not the first log entry after the reviewer’s Published log entry and the first log entry is from the second to find or sometimes even third to find. This can happen even when both logs are entered on the same day. It occurs because the logging mechanism provides a way to enter only the date of the find in a way that it can be used to order the entries, not the time of the find (nor do most cachers don’t keep track of the time of the find); therefore for any given date, log entries appear in the order in which they were entered regardless of whether they were entered the same day or weeks later. For example suppose Cacher A finds a cache at 9 am and Cacher B finds it a 9:15 am. Now let us say that Cacher B has the capability to log a find online from the cache site, and chooses to do so making their entry at 9:19 am; while Cacher A must go home to log his find online and does not get his entry made until 9:20 am. In this case the log entry made by Cacher B will make it appear that he found the cache first because it will be further down in the list, while the log entry for Cacher A will make it appear that he found the cache second. Yes, it would be nice if all FTFs were logged online in real time so those who are rushing to be the FTF would know that they we are out of the running, but I don’t think that it will ever happen given that most cachers don’t have or choose not to use the capability to log finds online in real time. I will admit that even though I have the capability to enter my online logs in real time I choose not to do it. I am also guilty of not logging a recent FTF for a couple of days (I am pretty sure that it was not the one that upset you) because other things just prevented me from doing it. (I am also sure you will admit that logging your finds online is just not as much fun as finding the cache).

        I understand your frustration with the cache owner apparently giving their friend the coordinates before the cache was published. It has an air of unfairness about it, but I don’t see any way to prevent it if that is the way they choose to play the game. Information at geocaching.com makes it abundantly clear that the person who created the cache owns it, since it is their property they can do with it what they want. I do not recall seeing any guidelines that even hint that an owner cannot or should not publish the coordinates to their friends. There is a risk, however, in doing that. Namely, if the cache does not get published then the friends do not get to count it as a find, let alone as a first to find.


        +-+ Jay - BingOGT
        |+| Georgetown, TX USA
        +-+ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

         


        From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of djdirkdiggla
        Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:52 PM
        To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

        I know that regular members don't get new cache notifications and started thinking about this one where i hustled like crazy to get to and a member had been there and signed first. They didn't log it for 3 days later... I started to wonder if there was a grace period of exclusivity for premium members... then to top it off, the CO emailed me apologizing for the delay in the FTFer logging and told me they were actually friends with them... made me put things together and figure the CO had given the regular member the coords ahead of time... anyways, it kinda annoyed me because I went after it in a huge storm and feel like I kinda got jerked around... I'm over it but still wondered.



        ____________________________________________________________
        DEAL OF THE YEAR: 2010 Honda Civic for $1,734.09
        SPECIAL REPORT: High ticket items are being auctioned for an incredible 90% off!
        memphisgazette.com
      • djdirkdiggla
        Thanks Ed :) Looking forward to you getting back in the FTF game :D Yeah, I recently became a premium member--one of the reasons being the new cache notices...
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks Ed :) Looking forward to you getting back in the FTF game :D
          Yeah, I recently became a premium member--one of the reasons being the new cache notices... This particular instance happened on what I thought was going to be my first-FTF. I went out in that huge storm a couple months back and was dangling over the flooding river from a tree and... well you know the rest--I was beaten there by someone with 5 finds to their name. Didn't seem strange until the CO told me it was a friend but I still had a great time getting STF so didn't think about it again until the other day when I was talking to ogshowtime. showtime hides a lot of my caches with me but I fill out the form so I get the notification when someone finds it. I used to forward everyone to him but eventually just setup a filter. He's not very interested in actually finding caches for whatever reason so he never went premium. However, since he gets all my geocache emails forwarded to him automatically, he was getting the FTF notices.... What i found interesting tho, was that he was unable to view the new cache right away! Thats what made me think back and wonder if this guy had not been able to log his find for a few days because he wasn't even supposed to have access yet but had been given the coords by the CO... anyways, I'm not mad or anything of course, but had just wondered.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi Dirk,
          >
          > Because you've given me, oh, I don't know, like 50 FTFs, I'll weigh in with my thoughts.
          >
          > Premium members get cache notifications as soon as they're published, but there's no grace period. New caches appear on geocaching.com at the same time Premimum members get their notice. Some folks, I gather, have them sent to their phones. Me, I have to log on to my email and check. If I happen to time it correctly, I'll see a FTF opportunity. Because Prime Reviewer tends to publish new caches at night, I'll check in the evenings to see if there's anything out there. If it's close (Premium members get to set the radius for cache notifications) and circumstances warrant it (I have the car, I don't have to be anywhere, I'm not completely exhausted, and it's not pouring rain like when you went for that one), I'll go for it. Your caches have pretty much all been within 2 or 3 miles from my house, so, yeah, I'll run out for it. Occasionally, new ones are still available on Saturday morning, and isn't that a treat? I know I'll probably run into S6sputnik or JforceAtx, or WeAreGaughen and I have a good laugh when I see one of them emerge from the bushes clicking their pen closed. I don't even care that I'm STF.
          >
          > I try to log FTFs (actually, any FTF attempt) as soon as possible, as a courtesy to anybody who is thinking of a late night or early morning run but would rather sleep in. I don't have the capability of logging from the field, so I have to wait until I get home (I'm kind of a luddite, actually--I didn't even OWN a cell phone until last spring). I enjoy the logging part--I'm no Tygress, but I like to say SOMETHING about the cache.
          >
          > I personally wouldn't give out the coordinates to anyone ahead of time. I want JforceAtx to WORK for the FTF (and trust me, he does--sorry Jim!)
          >
          > Congrats on your recent string of FTFs, though!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Ed/SSO
          >
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "djdirkdiggla" <dirkvanderploeg@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I know that regular members don't get new cache notifications and started thinking about this one where i hustled like crazy to get to and a member had been there and signed first. They didn't log it for 3 days later... I started to wonder if there was a grace period of exclusivity for premium members... then to top it off, the CO emailed me apologizing for the delay in the FTFer logging and told me they were actually friends with them... made me put things together and figure the CO had given the regular member the coords ahead of time... anyways, it kinda annoyed me because I went after it in a huge storm and feel like I kinda got jerked around... I'm over it but still wondered.
          > >
          >
        • Russ Jernigan
          Also, when I know that I wasn t FTF but find myself first to log, I try to state that and (if I remember correctly) try to identify the FTF. Russ the
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Also, when I know that I wasn't FTF but find myself first to log, I try to state that and (if I remember correctly) try to identify the FTF.

            Russ the waterweasel

            -----Original Message-----
            From: "gumbietygress@..."
            Sent: Nov 5, 2010 7:40 AM
            To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

             

            re: elog order...
             
            In some cases, when many folks are finding a cache within hours, we have the designation FTL -- First to Log... =smile= doesn't win you anything except your own dance in the electronicsphere. But, hey, an' it hurt none.
             
            When we have FTF'd, we've tried to log at least a placeholder in a hurry, so folks do know the gig is up. But some don't realize that there is that traffic out there and don't think to. It's perspective, I suppose.
             
            More fun, eh?
             
            BarbJ/Tygress

            ---------- Original Message ----------
            From: Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...>
            To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?
            Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 00:56:08 -0500

             

            Being a regular member myself I know that it is a big challenge for me to get a FTF, I have come to accept that that is the price I have to pay for not being willing/able at the present time to pay the price for a premium membership.

            As the premium members have said, they get no sneak peak before the rest of us do. Some of them just get their email sent to their phones and are ready and able at a moments notice to go hunt down a FTF. Yes, there are some folks around here that seem to always be the FTF, but on occasion some of us players of lesser ability do beat them to a cache. I have recently beaten HiDude_98 to two caches, so I can attest that it is possible.

            As for people who delay logging, that is just part of the game and you just have to learn to live with it. I have seen in the online logs of more that a few caches where the FTF log entry is not the first log entry after the reviewer’s Published log entry and the first log entry is from the second to find or sometimes even third to find. This can happen even when both logs are entered on the same day. It occurs because the logging mechanism provides a way to enter only the date of the find in a way that it can be used to order the entries, not the time of the find (nor do most cachers don’t keep track of the time of the find); therefore for any given date, log entries appear in the order in which they were entered regardless of whether they were entered the same day or weeks later. For example suppose Cacher A finds a cache at 9 am and Cacher B finds it a 9:15 am. Now let us say that Cacher B has the capability to log a find online from the cache site, and chooses to do so making their entry at 9:19 am; while Cacher A must go home to log his find online and does not get his entry made until 9:20 am. In this case the log entry made by Cacher B will make it appear that he found the cache first because it will be further down in the list, while the log entry for Cacher A will make it appear that he found the cache second. Yes, it would be nice if all FTFs were logged online in real time so those who are rushing to be the FTF would know that they we are out of the running, but I don’t think that it will ever happen given that most cachers don’t have or choose not to use the capability to log finds online in real time. I will admit that even though I have the capability to enter my online logs in real time I choose not to do it. I am also guilty of not logging a recent FTF for a couple of days (I am pretty sure that it was not the one that upset you) because other things just prevented me from doing it. (I am also sure you will admit that logging your finds online is just not as much fun as finding the cache).

            I understand your frustration with the cache owner apparently giving their friend the coordinates before the cache was published. It has an air of unfairness about it, but I don’t see any way to prevent it if that is the way they choose to play the game. Information at geocaching.com makes it abundantly clear that the person who created the cache owns it, since it is their property they can do with it what they want. I do not recall seeing any guidelines that even hint that an owner cannot or should not publish the coordinates to their friends. There is a risk, however, in doing that. Namely, if the cache does not get published then the friends do not get to count it as a find, let alone as a first to find.


            +-+ Jay - BingOGT
            |+| Georgetown, TX USA
            +-+ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

             


            From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of djdirkdiggla
            Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:52 PM
            To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

            I know that regular members don't get new cache notifications and started thinking about this one where i hustled like crazy to get to and a member had been there and signed first. They didn't log it for 3 days later... I started to wonder if there was a grace period of exclusivity for premium members... then to top it off, the CO emailed me apologizing for the delay in the FTFer logging and told me they were actually friends with them... made me put things together and figure the CO had given the regular member the coords ahead of time... anyways, it kinda annoyed me because I went after it in a huge storm and feel like I kinda got jerked around... I'm over it but still wondered.



            ____________________________________________________________
            DEAL OF THE YEAR: 2010 Honda Civic for $1,734.09
            SPECIAL REPORT: High ticket items are being auctioned for an incredible 90% off!
            memphisgazette.com

            
            
          • shawnolsen@aol.com
            Dirk, Remember this is your game, you win because you went outside and you FOUND the cache! Don t let the actions of others get in your way of having fun! Is
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Dirk, Remember this is your game, you win because you went outside and you FOUND the cache!  Don't let the actions of others get in your way of having fun! Is it fun to see Ed, Paul, Jim, Keith, Arnaud, Rick or you on the trail absolutely that is what it is all about, getting a FTF while fun is it really that important?
               
              that said.....
              Paul's phone is RED and has a direct link to some secret server @ HQ in Groundspeakland.
               
              Cache on and someone put some new caches closer to my house than 15 miles already!!!!
               
              Shawn/s6sputnik
               
              In a message dated 11/5/2010 7:42:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, gumbietygress@... writes:
               

              re: elog order...
               
              In some cases, when many folks are finding a cache within hours, we have the designation FTL -- First to Log... =smile= doesn't win you anything except your own dance in the electronicsphere. But, hey, an' it hurt none.
               
              When we have FTF'd, we've tried to log at least a placeholder in a hurry, so folks do know the gig is up. But some don't realize that there is that traffic out there and don't think to. It's perspective, I suppose.
               
              More fun, eh?
               
              BarbJ/Tygress

              ---------- Original Message ----------
              From: Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...>
              To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?
              Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 00:56:08 -0500

               

              Being a regular member myself I know that it is a big challenge for me to get a FTF, I have come to accept that that is the price I have to pay for not being willing/able at the present time to pay the price for a premium membership.

              As the premium members have said, they get no sneak peak before the rest of us do. Some of them just get their email sent to their phones and are ready and able at a moments notice to go hunt down a FTF. Yes, there are some folks around here that seem to always be the FTF, but on occasion some of us players of lesser ability do beat them to a cache. I have recently beaten HiDude_98 to two caches, so I can attest that it is possible.

              As for people who delay logging, that is just part of the game and you just have to learn to live with it. I have seen in the online logs of more that a few caches where the FTF log entry is not the first log entry after the reviewer’s Published log entry and the first log entry is from the second to find or sometimes even third to find. This can happen even when both logs are entered on the same day. It occurs because the logging mechanism provides a way to enter only the date of the find in a way that it can be used to order the entries, not the time of the find (nor do most cachers don’t keep track of the time of the find); therefore for any given date, log entries appear in the order in which they were entered regardless of whether they were entered the same day or weeks later. For example suppose Cacher A finds a cache at 9 am and Cacher B finds it a 9:15 am. Now let us say that Cacher B has the capability to log a find online from the cache site, and chooses to do so making their entry at 9:19 am; while Cacher A must go home to log his find online and does not get his entry made until 9:20 am. In this case the log entry made by Cacher B will make it appear that he found the cache first because it will be further down in the list, while the log entry for Cacher A will make it appear that he found the cache second. Yes, it would be nice if all FTFs were logged online in real time so those who are rushing to be the FTF would know that they we are out of the running, but I don’t think that it will ever happen given that most cachers don’t have or choose not to use the capability to log finds online in real time. I will admit that even though I have the capability to enter my online logs in real time I choose not to do it. I am also guilty of not logging a recent FTF for a couple of days (I am pretty sure that it was not the one that upset you) because other things just prevented me from doing it. (I am also sure you will admit that logging your finds online is just not as much fun as finding the cache).

              I understand your frustration with the cache owner apparently giving their friend the coordinates before the cache was published. It has an air of unfairness about it, but I don’t see any way to prevent it if that is the way they choose to play the game. Information at geocaching.com makes it abundantly clear that the person who created the cache owns it, since it is their property they can do with it what they want. I do not recall seeing any guidelines that even hint that an owner cannot or should not publish the coordinates to their friends. There is a risk, however, in doing that. Namely, if the cache does not get published then the friends do not get to count it as a find, let alone as a first to find.


              +-+ Jay - BingOGT
              |+| Georgetown, TX USA
              +-+ “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

               


              From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of djdirkdiggla
              Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:52 PM
              To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

              I know that regular members don't get new cache notificatio ns and started thinking about this one where i hustled like crazy to get to and a member had been there and signed first. They didn't log it for 3 days later... I started to wonder if there was a grace period of exclusivity for premium members... then to top it off, the CO emailed me apologizing for the delay in the FTFer logging and told me they were actually friends with them... made me put things together and figure the CO had given the regular member the coords ahead of time... anyways, it kinda annoyed me because I went after it in a huge storm and feel like I kinda got jerked around... I'm over it but still wondered.



              ____________________________________________________________
              DEAL OF THE YEAR: 2010 Honda Civic for $1,734.09
              SPECIAL REPORT: High ticket items are being auctioned for an incredible 90% off!
              memphisgazette.com

            • gumbietygress@juno.com
              Your scenario certainly happens. But mostly a minority.and it does chafe -- especially when you risk life and limb for that FTF. [As you say: Memorable,
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Your scenario certainly happens. But mostly a minority.
                and it does chafe -- especially when you risk life and limb for that FTF. [As you say: Memorable, though!!!!]
                =sympathy!=
                 
                BarbJ/Tygress

                ---------- Original Message ----------
                From: "djdirkdiggla" <dirkvanderploeg@...>
                To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Can only Premium Members get FTFs?
                Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 13:02:13 -0000

                Thanks Ed :) Looking forward to you getting back in the FTF game :D
                Yeah, I recently became a premium member--one of the reasons being the new cache notices... This particular instance happened on what I thought was going to be my first-FTF. I went out in that huge storm a couple months back and was dangling over the flooding river from a tree and... well you know the rest--I was beaten there by someone with 5 finds to their name. Didn't seem strange until the CO told me it was a friend but I still had a great time getting STF so didn't think about it again until the other day when I was talking to ogshowtime. showtime hides a lot of my caches with me but I fill out the form so I get the notification when someone finds it. I used to forward everyone to him but eventually just setup a filter. He's not very interested in actually finding caches for whatever reason so he never went premium. However, since he gets all my geocache emails forwarded to him automatically, he was getting the FTF notices.... What i found interesting tho, was that he was unable to view the new cache right away! Thats what made me think back and wonder if this guy had not been able to log his find for a few days because he wasn't even supposed to have access yet but had been given the coords by the CO... anyways, I'm not mad or anything of course, but had just wondered.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hi Dirk,
                >
                > Because you've given me, oh, I don't know, like 50 FTFs, I'll weigh in with my thoughts.
                >
                > Premium members get cache notifications as soon as they're published, but there's no grace period. New caches appear on geocaching.com at the same time Premimum members get their notice. Some folks, I gather, have them sent to their phones. Me, I have to log on to my email and check. If I happen to time it correctly, I'll see a FTF opportunity. Because Prime Reviewer tends to publish new caches at night, I'll check in the evenings to see if there's anything out there. If it's close (Premium members get to set the radius for cache notifications) and circumstances warrant it (I have the car, I don't have to be anywhere, I'm not completely exhausted, and it's not pouring rain like when you went for that one), I'll go for it. Your caches have pretty much all been within 2 or 3 miles from my house, so, yeah, I'll run out for it. Occasionally, new ones are still available on Saturday morning, and isn't that a treat? I know I'll probably run into S6sputnik or JforceAtx, or WeAreGaughen and I have a good laugh when I see one of them emerge from the bushes clicking their pen closed. I don't even care that I'm STF.
                >
                > I try to log FTFs (actually, any FTF attempt) as soon as possible, as a courtesy to anybody who is thinking of a late night or early morning run but would rather sleep in. I don't have the capability of logging from the field, so I have to wait until I get home (I'm kind of a luddite, actually--I didn't even OWN a cell phone until last spring). I enjoy the logging part--I'm no Tygress, but I like to say SOMETHING about the cache.
                >
                > I personally wouldn't give out the coordinates to anyone ahead of time. I want JforceAtx to WORK for the FTF (and trust me, he does--sorry Jim!)
                >
                > Congrats on your recent string of FTFs, though!
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Ed/SSO
                >
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "djdirkdiggla" <dirkvanderploeg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I know that regular members don't get new cache notifications and started thinking about this one where i hustled like crazy to get to and a member had been there and signed first. They didn't log it for 3 days later... I started to wonder if there was a grace period of exclusivity for premium members... then to top it off, the CO emailed me apologizing for the delay in the FTFer logging and told me they were actually friends with them... made me put things together and figure the CO had given the regular member the coords ahead of time... anyways, it kinda annoyed me because I went after it in a huge storm and feel like I kinda got jerked around... I'm over it but still wondered.
                > >
                >




                ------------------------------------

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/join
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   CentralTexasGeocachers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                   CentralTexasGeocachers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                ____________________________________________________________
                Get Free Email with Video Mail & Video Chat!

              • gumbietygress@juno.com
                SPLURT!It s ok, ED, the screen needed cleaning anyway. ((Nobody is, dear, and after Tygress logging every ET, I m thinking even I m not sure I want to be...
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  SPLURT!
                  It's ok, ED, the screen needed cleaning anyway.
                   
                  ((Nobody is, dear, and after Tygress logging every ET, I'm thinking even I'm not sure I want to be... FINGER CRAMP!!!! BRAIN mush!!!!))
                   
                  Keep logging uniquely in your own style. That's the E-ticket!
                   
                  -B/Tygress


                  ---------- Original Message ----------
                  From: "softscienceofficer" <edgeanderson@...>
                  To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Can only Premium Members get FTFs?
                  Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 11:03:36 -0000

                   I enjoy the logging part--I'm no Tygress, but I like to say SOMETHING about the cache.



                  ____________________________________________________________
                  2010 Credit Scores
                  Click to View Your 2010 Credit Scores Now! All 3 Scores FREE !
                  freescore.com
                • Esther Lopez
                  Don t even get me started!   I know of geocachers (no one from around here) that take turns getting each others FTFs as well as claiming a find on their own
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment

                    Don't even get me started!

                     

                    I know of geocachers (no one from around here) that take turns getting each others FTFs as well as claiming a find on their own caches when they go perform maintenance!

                     

                    But the bottom line, as many have already mentioned, everyone plays their own way.

                     

                    E/BGTx


                  • Danielle Skelton
                    Ive seen several FTFs logged around here by people that never even signed the log. Then again, a lot of people cant seem to find any caches without the Cache
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Ive seen several FTFs logged around here by people that never even signed the log.  Then again, a lot of people cant seem to find any caches without the Cache Owner telling them exactly where it is. 

                      Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem/Danielle

                      On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:
                       

                      Don't even get me started!

                       

                      I know of geocachers (no one from around here) that take turns getting each others FTFs as well as claiming a find on their own caches when they go perform maintenance!

                       

                      But the bottom line, as many have already mentioned, everyone plays their own way.

                       

                      E/BGTx



                    • Esther Lopez
                      Dear Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem, I am not sure which cache(s) you might be refering to, but thanks to your comment I was reminded of my cache,  Rusty s Crossing
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Dear Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem,
                        I am not sure which cache(s) you might be refering to, but thanks to your comment I was reminded of my cache,  Rusty's Crossing
                        (GC260HD). I just changed an error on it's FTFs. By some extremely strange circumstances that I cannot comprehend much less explain, there were TWO caches within three inches of each other at GZ. They were almost identical in type, color and size.
                        That explains how two sets of cachers each  found a clean log and later wondered why someone else was claiming the FTF.
                        Sorry it took me so long to correct my oversight!
                         
                        E/BGTx




                        From: Danielle Skelton <daniellewskelton@...>
                        To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                        Sent: Fri, November 5, 2010 8:46:21 PM
                        Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Can only Premium Members get FTFs?

                         

                        Ive seen several FTFs logged around here by people that never even signed the log.  Then again, a lot of people cant seem to find any caches without the Cache Owner telling them exactly where it is. 

                        Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem/Danielle

                        On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:
                         

                        Don't even get me started!

                         

                        I know of geocachers (no one from around here) that take turns getting each others FTFs as well as claiming a find on their own caches when they go perform maintenance!

                         

                        But the bottom line, as many have already mentioned, everyone plays their own way.

                         

                        E/BGTx




                      • palbers@austin.rr.com
                        All this talk of FTFs is getting me fired up to start racing for them. I ve been slacking recently, but love when others develope the passion for the FTF. I ve
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 9, 2010
                        • 0 Attachment
                          All this talk of FTFs is getting me fired up to start racing for them. I've
                          been slacking recently, but love when others develope the passion for the
                          FTF. I've met more cachers at FTFs over the years than any other time. It is
                          a great place to have an ad hoc geo-event. If I know someone is on there
                          way to the FTF, I will sit at the parking coords or park near the cache and
                          wait. I would much rather have a co-FTF than a solo FTF any day. I know this
                          isn't how some play the game, but to me it just more fun to share in on the
                          excitement of being there to find it first. When I first stated racing for
                          the FTFs ( against GeoMire, Stratman, Filler & Bcat, Moosiegirl, ... ) there
                          was a time when the person to actually find the cache, even with the whole
                          group searching for the cache, claimed the FTF. That could be thrilling or
                          frustrating, but it doesn't really foster friendship building as it does to
                          work together. Again, my own opinion here. Since, there isn't an official
                          FTF stat, it is about having fun.

                          I do enjoy trying to find the cache in the state that the cache hider intended
                          the finder to find it. Caches tend to change, sometimes quite drastically over
                          time ( some even have geo-trails right to where the cache is hidden :). Ok,
                          I also like opening the log and seeing it blank too...

                          Over the years of going for FTFs, I have to say, I appreciate a reasonably quick
                          FTF log. I try to do the same, but have had instances where I got an FTF while
                          out power caching and haven't been able to log until I got home some twenty hours
                          later. It happens. I've also gotten a kitchen pass, along with GeoMire and drove
                          to Waco to find that whole strings of caches had been found days earlier. They
                          were wanting to increase traffic to caches, by not logging, but is sure cost us
                          time, gas and a kitchen pass. Again, to each their own, but I very much appreciate
                          the log.

                          As for the main reason for this email thread... Claim that find as an FTF on your
                          personal stats. This count is for you only and to me, that other person was a beta
                          tester and gets to log the cache at some point. As others have mentioned, typically
                          a co-hider will wait until after the FTF is logged to log their find, but that doesn't
                          always happen. Also, experience also comes into play. It is good to leave the top
                          spot blank or create an FTF box for the real FTF person to sign. This way when that
                          first finder comes and sees other signatures on the log, they quickly realize those
                          other signatures were for those that hid the cache with the cache 'owner' and you
                          still get to claim the FTF.

                          I look forward to hopefully crossing paths with many of you in the future on an FTF
                          attempt.

                          Oh, and keep hiding those caches. I may not be an adrenaline junky, but boy do I love
                          that adrenaline rush you get when going out after a potential FTF. :)

                          -paul
                          HiDude_98
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.