Necropolis Manor: Why are we so dumb?

  • dn_shults
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010
      So...
      My wife and I (D+N.Shults) went caching with KellenVos and two noobs today. Since many were from out of town, and it was Halloween weekend (and we're fast approaching 100 finds)we thought it was time to seek the Necropolis.

      Instead we found humiliating defeat after spending two hours on stage two and not "getting it" or "seeing it"
      I would consider the wife someone who can usually spot a cache immediately and from far away while KV enjoys puzzles a bit, but we were all stumped.

      I hate to ask for help, but we don't have clue what we were doing wrong.
      If you could offer some guidance we would much appreciate it, because we don't know any other local cachers and we're not sure what we're doing wrong.
      The cache was found today so we know the info is there. We're just dumb. :D
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
        Ah, the evil stage 2....
        Had, what, 7 veteran cachers wandering around vaguely for quite a while.
        You are looking for the symbol, not the name.... rather than spoil it further, I'll send the hint privately

        -B/Tygress

        My wife and I (D+N.Shults) went caching with KellenVos and two noobs today. Since many were from out of town, and it was Halloween weekend (and we're fast approaching 100 finds)we thought it was time to seek the Necropolis.

        Instead we found humiliating defeat after spending two hours on stage two and not "getting it" or "seeing it"
        I would consider the wife someone who can usually spot a cache immediately and from far away while KV enjoys puzzles a bit, but we were all stumped.

        I hate to ask for help, but we don't have clue what we were doing wrong.
        If you could offer some guidance we would much appreciate it, because we don't know any other local cachers and we're not sure what we're doing wrong.
        The cache was found today so we know the info is there. We're just dumb. :D

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        Globe Life Insurance
        CoverageFor1Dollar.com
      • Reddog Texas
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
          Stage 2 was tricky for us too. I think we spent a good hour hunting....then, there it was. You are referring to the first part in the cemetery, right??

          A hint without giving it all away, I hope, would be that you are not looking for a container and not looking at a headstone, exactly. Look to the left side of a headstone for something that does not belong, but bares the "mark".

          Re2dog (Dawn)

          > My wife and I (D+N.Shults) went caching with KellenVos and
          > two noobs today. Since many were from out of town, and it
          > was Halloween weekend (and we're fast approaching 100
          > finds)we thought it was time to seek the Necropolis.
          >
          > Instead we found humiliating defeat after spending two
          > hours on stage two and not "getting it" or "seeing it"
          > I would consider the wife someone who can usually spot a
          > cache immediately and from far away while KV enjoys puzzles
          > a bit, but we were all stumped.
          >
          > I hate to ask for help, but we don't have clue what we were
          > doing wrong.
          > If you could offer some guidance we would much appreciate
          > it, because we don't know any other local cachers and we're
          > not sure what we're doing wrong.
          > The cache was found today so we know the info is there.
          > We're just dumb. :D

          >     CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • dn_shults
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
            Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I think I looked right at and never thought about it. So sorry to bother ya'll. Thanks!

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@...> wrote:

            > So...
            > My wife and I (D+N.Shults) went caching with KellenVos and two noobs today. Since many were from out of town, and it was Halloween weekend (and we're fast approaching 100 finds)we thought it was time to seek the Necropolis.
            >
            > Instead we found humiliating defeat after spending two hours on stage two and not "getting it" or "seeing it"
            > I would consider the wife someone who can usually spot a cache immediately and from far away while KV enjoys puzzles a bit, but we were all stumped.
            >
            > I hate to ask for help, but we don't have clue what we were doing wrong.
            > If you could offer some guidance we would much appreciate it, because we don't know any other local cachers and we're not sure what we're doing wrong.
            > The cache was found today so we know the info is there. We're just dumb. :D

          • Keith Petrus
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Reddog Texas <re2dog@...> wrote:

              > Stage 2 was tricky for us too. I think we spent a good hour hunting....then, there it was. You are referring to the first part in the cemetery, right??
              >
              > A hint without giving it all away, I hope, would be that you are not looking for a container and not looking at a headstone, exactly. Look to the left side of a headstone for something that does not belong, but bares the "mark".
              >
              > Re2dog (Dawn)

              When a group from Corpus Christi visited stage 2, they said the mark had faded considerably. Someone might want to check on it to make sure it is still visible.
            • Reddog Texas
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
                No problem at all...that is the trickiest part, I think. I know another group had a problem with the next part too...but we didn't, so I think they were just over thinking it or something.

                --Re2dog (Dawn)

              • jestrrrulz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
                  It's never a bother to help out fellow geocachers!! That's what we are here for.

                  Jeri / JestrRulz

                  In a message dated 10/31/2010 11:21:46 A.M. Central Daylight Time, donald.shults@... writes:
                  So sorry to bother ya'll.
                • dn_shults
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
                    I just wanted to let everyone know we got it yesterday (sadly -1 who couldn't make it) and it was awesome. We accidently misread step 5 one but aside from that it was smooth sailing.
                    Thanks for the help.

                    -D+N.Shults
                    Donald & Niki

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
                      awesome! yay for you!!!!

                      Barb =good day/night to do it= Tygress

                      I just wanted to let everyone know we got it yesterday (sadly -1 who couldn't make it) and it was awesome. We accidently misread step 5 one but aside from that it was smooth sailing.
                      Thanks for the help.

                      -D+N.Shults
                      Donald & Niki

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@...> wrote:

                      > Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I think I looked right at and never thought about it. So sorry to bother ya'll. Thanks!
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > So...
                      > > My wife and I (D+N.Shults) went caching with KellenVos and two noobs today. Since many were from out of town, and it was Halloween weekend (and we're fast approaching 100 finds)we thought it was time to seek the Necropolis.
                      > >
                      > > Instead we found humiliating defeat after spending two hours on stage two and not "getting it" or "seeing it"
                      > > I would consider the wife someone who can usually spot a cache immediately and from far away while KV enjoys puzzles a bit, but we were all stumped.
                      > >
                      > > I hate to ask for help, but we don't have clue what we were doing wrong.
                      > > If you could offer some guidance we would much appreciate it, because we don't know any other local cachers and we're not sure what we're doing wrong.
                      > > The cache was found today so we know the info is there. We're just dumb. :D

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:

                      $350,000 Life Insurance
                      Coverage as low as $13.04/month. Free, No Obligation Quotes.
                      QuoteWhiz.com