Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Geocaching.com=spam update.

  • Henry Rohlfs
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
      I'm going through this same problem at work. We maintain a client email
      list of about 3000 addresses, which is more than I want to send through
      my in-house mail server. Instead, we use Topica to maintain the list and
      send the emails. It's all automated and very easy for us and the users.
      Our list is opt-in only (you must sign up for it first) and we send a
      confirmation email. It's all very up-and-up and by the book.

      Our problem is that Topica doesn't disable a bad email address until it
      bounces back four times. Road Runner wants you to delete it after the
      first bounce (see their policy at security.rr.com). So if ANY problem
      happens with a client's email address and it happens over a couple of
      weeks... you're toast. The sending IP is blacklisted by Road Runner.
      I've had this problem now for over a month and there's no end in sight.

      Ok, so much for the geekspeak. GC.com is soooo big that I'm sure they
      send to thousands of rr.com accounts. Think of how many people you know
      in Austin with Road Runner and magnify that across the country! After
      just a handful of problems, rr.com puts GC.com on the bad list.

      I've sent GC an email explaining the problem and the URL of the security
      policy. I've also explained that this affects quite a few Austin
      geocachers. Finally, I asked for some sort of update from them. GC is
      going to have to be the one to finally solve the problem since it's
      their IP that is being blocked. But emails from we rr.com users to Road
      Runner won't hurt!

      Sorry for the long post and explanation. Just the facts, ma'am.
      -DivasDude

      >>> lists@... 12/29/03 10:39 PM >>>
      Maybe call them? At least that way you get to talk to a human.

      Cindy