Poison Ivy

  • kiteboat
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14, 2002
      We're fairly new to geocaching and wish we had started a few months
      ago when it was cooler and with less new foliage growth. One concern
      I have this time of year in the Austin area is poison ivy. I've found
      a few websites tonight to try and educate myself on what it looks
      like as I've found it can take may forms. Just beware out there -
      it's everywhere :)
    • gtbevo2000
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
        OK - I have a strange request...Has anyone seen any poison ivy lately?
        Most of it is dormant right now but I need to find some to show my son
        so we can complete one of his scout requirements. Preferably up north -
        ok really north - like Georgetown or RR. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

        Thanks!!

        Alyson/gtbevo
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
          Hi!

          Go to What-A-Tree by jivy (GCV2N3).  That sucker is surrounded by PI, so this is the best time of year to visit.  There should be enough dried leaves and berries to get the point across to your Cub Scout.  Heck, wait until the weekend and The Tygress and I will go with you.  We've been waiting for winter, after hiking out in shorts last spring and encountering the protective hedge, we figured we didn't want the find THAT much, so now is our time! <G>

          Best,

          Russ the waterweasel

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
            Go to GCV2N3 What-A-Tree
            Last May the PI was chest deep around it.
            Look for reddish twigs with probably dregs of red leaves.

            Wait... for a REAL dose of PI
            OR, go out Highway 79 to the Walmart. [There used to be a cache there,
            but I'm not finding it.] Go to the parking lot East of the store.
            There is a line of trees there with these great hoary vines. Guess
            what?!? PI at its most monstrous.

            I'm sure there's more PI around G'town, but nothing is immediately
            occuring to me....

            Now, if you want to go up to Belton, there are LOTS of PI caches there --
            one actually hidden IN a PI vine. I itch to recall it.
            Bend O' The River GCVA89

            If you want to go south: Firefly Lane GC58AB USED to be a rich source of
            PI.

            And if you go to Windermere Bridge GCNCWP in Plugerville. Walk West
            (toward I-35) to that stand of trees past the switching station.. Oh,
            that's a RICH bed of PI (though usually well died back this time of the
            year). Just ask Stratman, who placed the original Stinking Piles there
            and paid the price.

            And now I itch.

            On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:13:51 -0000 "gtbevo2000" <gtbevo2000@...>
            writes:
            > OK - I have a strange request...Has anyone seen any poison ivy
            > lately?
            > Most of it is dormant right now but I need to find some to show my
            > son
            > so we can complete one of his scout requirements. Preferably up
            > north -
            > ok really north - like Georgetown or RR. Anybody? Anybody?
            > Bueller?
            >
            > Thanks!!
            >
            > Alyson/gtbevo

            Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to
            know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the
            roads weren't paved. --unknown
          • Nick Silkey
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
              On 2/14/07, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:
              > OR, go out Highway 79 to the Walmart. [There used to be a cache there,
              > but I'm not finding it.] Go to the parking lot East of the store.
              > There is a line of trees there with these great hoary vines. Guess
              > what?!? PI at its most monstrous.

              Round Rock Rocky by Semper Questio?
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                Round Rock's Rocky
                yup... and explains why I couldn't find it.

                On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:59:30 -0600 "Nick Silkey" <nsilkey@...> writes:
                > On
                2/14/07, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:
                > > OR, go out Highway 79 to the Walmart. [There used to be a
                cache
                > there,
                > > but I'm not finding it.] Go to the parking
                lot East of the store.
                > > There is a line of trees there with these
                great hoary vines.
                > Guess
                > > what?!? PI at its most
                monstrous.

                > Round Rock Rocky by Semper Questio?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                > <*> To visit
                your group on the web, go to:

                > <*> Your email settings:

                Individual Email | Traditional

                > <*> To change settings
                online go to:

                (Yahoo! ID required)

                > <*> To change settings via
                email:

                href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-digest@yahoogroups.com">mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-digest@yahoogroups.com

                href="mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                to:

                > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
                to:

                Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. --unknown
              • Tony Fannin
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                  The side of my house? Yes, I've got PI crawling up the side of my house. It's pretty when it's all green. I stopped fighting it and started enjoying it.

                  Tony

                  On 2/14/07, Nick Silkey <nsilkey@...> wrote:

                  On 2/14/07, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:
                  > OR, go out Highway 79 to the Walmart. [There used to be a cache there,
                  > but I'm not finding it.] Go to the parking lot East of the store.
                  > There is a line of trees there with these great hoary vines. Guess
                  > what?!? PI at its most monstrous.

                  Round Rock Rocky by Semper Questio?

                • semperquestio
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                    Rocky's been gone for a while.

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Silkey"
                    <nsilkey@...> wrote:

                    > On 2/14/07, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:
                    > > OR, go out Highway 79 to the Walmart. [There used to be a cache there,
                    > > but I'm not finding it.] Go to the parking lot East of the store.
                    > > There is a line of trees there with these great hoary vines. Guess
                    > > what?!? PI at its most monstrous.
                    >
                    > Round Rock Rocky by Semper Questio?

                  • maliabarth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                      I haven't been on the trail from San gabriel to the Rivery for a while,
                      but one of the last times (fall?) there was a lot between the trail and
                      the river (after Austin Avenue). There are a couple of areas where it
                      is only about 6" tall covering the ground between the path and the
                      river.

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gtbevo2000"

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
                        But I suspect the PI is still there =g=